Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Is It Worth It?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-17-2005, 10:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is It Worth It?

Couple a questions for the modders out there...

I'm not much of a modder so I'm not interested in FI or other crazy stuff. I don't want to run the car so out of spec that I might damage the engine or tranny. Just a little bit more umph. I figure I might do some bolt on stuff. Like Nismo headers, catback, and a new intake. I can get all that stuff for about $2500. Is it worth it? I've seen posts that say that all you can expect out of bolt-ons is about 20HP. True? What can I expect out of headers, catback, and intake?

TIA.

Old 02-17-2005, 11:03 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Modern motors are harder to squeeze power out of in NA form. They are running with very good efficiencies overall. Older muscle cars had large motors that were quite underpowered by today's standards. I think my friend's Camaro had like 160 HP out of 5.7 Liters. Increasing the VE of these motors net very large gains. But when you are already at the high end of VE, there is little that can be gained with the weight of the atmosphere being the only thing pushing air into the motor.

Old 02-17-2005, 11:13 PM
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Sedan
Originally Posted by scoobybri
I've seen posts that say that all you can expect out of bolt-ons is about 20HP. True?
I would say that's a pretty acurate statement. The VQ is a well tuned engine. Like CK said it's hard to squeeze the G for any more horses.

Old 02-18-2005, 01:13 AM
So what do you expect the performance gains would be with headers, catback, and new intake? Would that get me my 20HP? According to the info at Performance Nissan, added up, I sould expect another 20-25 at the wheel. Accurate?

PS Mr. T frickin' rules!

Old 02-18-2005, 03:51 AM
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Sedan
I would say 20-25 horses with those mods would be pretty hard to achieve. You can't really add the claimed HP gains up like that.

Old 02-18-2005, 03:55 AM
I dont buy what a company tells me for HP ratings
Seems like BS 90% of the time

After all, theyre trying to sell a product

Personally, for me, its not worth it to do the little mods
If I ever get enough spare cash and want to get serious Ill do FI but I dont see that happening anytime soon