Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Warranty and Mods, the Final Answer?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-22-2005, 10:18 PM
Florida G35 Club, General Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Warranty and Mods, the Final Answer?

I was wondering if anyone out there (possibly some Infiniti techs) could provide the final verdict on modifications and their effect on the warranty. It seems like every Infiniti dealer claims something different. The first one I spoke to said they'd allow the majority of mods except for FI. The latest one I spoke to, told me to "call the national office and ask them." There's even a guy online who claims his warranty is still good even though he has a Stillen Supercharger System. So does anyone out there truly know what Infiniti's overall stance is on modifications? Truly each dealer will have their quirks and will try to get out of paying for anything, but I assume Infiniti must have some national policy. Can anyone elaborate on this?

Old 02-24-2005, 04:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You basically answered your own question....Each dealer is going to be different. You can add anything you want to your car. If a problem ever arises it is up to the dealer to prove that the problem was caused by the aftermarket part. Now keep in mind the dealer will try and scare you with this or that, but they must prove it. If you add an intake and your wheel falls off...Warranty not affected. If you add a supercharger and you blow your engine to pieces...guess what waranty not covering that. There are very few after market companies that offer warranties on there products that cover your car. I know Stillen will warranty the supercharger and your engine for 3/36000 miles as long as you don't go past stage 2. Hope this didn't confuse you more!.

Old 02-24-2005, 11:05 PM
Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
A dealer cannot void the warranty of a manufacturer. Dealers sell the cars and are separate entities from the manufacturer. The dealers can give the information surrounding your cars problems and what was installed to the manufacturer. From there it's up to the manufacturer to make the call if it will/will not be covered under warranty.

Keep in mind that the manufacturer still needs to present credible evidence that your modification is responsible for the problem (blown engine with FI.....good evidence, you've probably heard the stories about bad evidence).

Check out this writeup on this subject:
http://www.sema.org/main/semaorghome.aspx?ID=8124

Old 02-24-2005, 11:44 PM
Thanks for the reply G-zire. I know its all relatively self explanatory but when the last dealer I saw in my home town said "Call Infiniti as ask them on their policy" it kind of through me off. Your reply definitely makes sense though, I appreciate it.

Old 02-25-2005, 03:22 AM
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Sedan
GZire pretty much summed it up. Keep in mind though that Infiniti gets its information about what's going on with your car from the dealer. If the dealer is passing on bad information that's what Infiniti has to go on.

Old 02-25-2005, 08:19 PM
??warranty??

haha

Old 02-27-2005, 08:32 PM
ok heres the deal, technically there should be no problems with warranty and adding performance parts to the G35 or any other car for that matter, UNLESS, one of the mods that you did broke a part on your car that you are trying to get fixed under the warranty, magnuson moss act.... they might try and say that it does but it doesnt, they have to prove that your mod increased the wear and tear and broke that specific part... But for example if you get a cold air intake, and suck in water, you get hydro lock, thats your fault, not the intake manufacturer or infiniti's, but if you go in for say a creaking window, or any other problems and they see your intake, that is BS, and they cannot deny you service... hope that helps, my advice is to look up the specifics of the act... later

Old 02-27-2005, 09:34 PM
this has been covered a zillion times over. try the search function, works great!

Old 02-28-2005, 12:11 AM
Originally Posted by copbait
this has been covered a zillion times over. try the search function, works great!
I've heard of this thing you call "search function," who knows, I may have to try it some time . Sorry for the repost on this relatively self explanatory concept, but you never know who is going to come along and shed some new light on the subject. All the responses were very helpful, especially the SEMA article. Better believe I'm going to hold on to that in case it becomes handy in the futre