Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

OBX Racing Y-Pipe

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-23-2005, 11:52 PM
Florida G35 Club, General Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question OBX Racing Y-Pipe

Well ladies and gents, I'm checking into getting a Y-Pipe for my car and as usual am doing some research to see whats out there. One of the pipes I came across is manufactured by a company called OBX Racing. Now here comes the confession, I found a new one for sale on Ebay and as with anything Ebay I'm highly critical of parts and their claims. Here's the stats on the OBX Y-Pipe:

Dyno tested and proven
80mm Piping
Direct bolt-on without modification
T-304 stainless steel mandrel bend for ultra fast flow.
CNC machine flanges with TIG and MIG welded construction
Utilizes factory 02 sensor position
Lifetime warranty from manufacturer defects

80mm piping? That puts it at about 4mm larger then the majority of Y-pipes out their. Also note its not strictly TIG welded, rather its TIG and MIG. Do you think this is a quality piece or just a P.O.S.? Not that its too significant in thr 4mm difference, but I worry about loss of back pressure. As it stands now, the Y-Pipe would be combined with Test Pipes on a stock exhaust system. In the future, I'll change over to aftermarket exhaust but for now the stock muffler remains.

Old 02-24-2005, 04:38 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think OBX mainly does stuff for Hondas, don't know about their quality for Nissan/Infinity parts though. You can get pipes from several reputable companies around here for under $300 so I would consider going that route. Check around the vendor areas for group buys and such. Also check out my350z.com and other related forums...

Old 02-24-2005, 01:30 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
OBX is known for taking other companys good designs and just copying it. Having owned a Honda before my G35c I am familair with the company and have always heard good things about them. The only thing I have heard regarding complaints about OBX was that the first run of headers made for Acura TL/CL had fitment issues. I think the headers were a copy of the comptech design.

Having said that I own the Y-pipes made by OBX and have had them for about 6 months. They are a great product and fit perfectly. The y-pipe will make the biggest gains in the exhaust and this is the only exhuast mod I have planned. The gains were as expected a few horses. I feel it compliments the z-tube well. I know the other $300 y-pipe's might be slightly better but how much better can they be? I mean its just a pipe? Trust me you will be happy with the OBX and the money you saved you could get a Plenum spacer, thats what I did.

Not sure how much power was gained but I ran a 14.0@100 1/4 with the obx y-pipe in my auto coupe. When I get my spacer I hope to hit high 13's

I got mine off e-bay for $120 shipped

Last edited by Derek173; 02-24-2005 at 01:36 PM.
Old 02-25-2005, 03:29 AM
I had OBX headers on my 02 Acura TL-S. It did have the fitment issues that was resolved by drilling the holes wider. I had it on for less than a year without problems before I sold the car. There were people that had some of the welds crack on the headers so that started threads on poor quality. If it's just a Y pipe, and the price is good, go for it.

Old 02-25-2005, 06:42 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Their products are not of the same quality as the products they copied. While their welds look good in many cases, the quality of their materials isn't nearly as good. The Infiniti G20/Nissan SE-R crowd has had quite a few issues with OBX's knockoff of the Hotshot header for the 2.0L SR20 motors...