Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Speed sensor??? Please help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-13-2016, 09:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Speed sensor??? Please help

Alright, where to begin... I have a 2003 G35 sedan automatic 2nd gen with 213k miles. Within the past month, an issue has come to my attention. It started out as just fifth gear 'slipping' (that's the best way I think I can describe it). Basically it kind of went into neutral when I tried to accelerate slightly in just 5th gear at highway speeds. If I put a little extra foot in, fifth gear would catch and it would go. Then it got worse to the point where if I tried accelerating in fifth at all at highway speeds, it would just redline without accelerating at all. Now, currently, fifth gear does not work at all, at any speeds and fourth gear is starting to show signs of following suit. I was doing countless research and found out it might be a speed sensor going bad but I wasn't entirely confident in that seeing as other people with similar issues had a check engine light. I did not have a check engine light and the issue was getting progressively worse so I started leaning towards it being a mechanical issue rather than electrical. This was until I noticed my 'at check' light would flash at me several times everytime I started my car. So I decided to just hook a code scanner up and seen if i got any results. It pulled up code P1716 which I found out basically means the turbine revolution sensor is bad. Then the next time I started my car, the service engine soon light was on. So now I'm thinking it is the turbine revolutiono sensor. But that leaves me with a couple issues. Through research I found out the turbine revolution sensor is actually inside the g35's transmissions unlike their nissan counterparts the altima and maxima where the sensor is just right behind the front driver side's wheel. My first question is, has anyone replaced this on their own, is this a diy job? And if not, can I buy the sensor online and have just a transmission shop, who has the proper tools, replace the sensor for me? And lastly, can someone help me find the exact part number for this sensor for my car so I don't accidentally buy the wrong part? Any and all help will be greatly appreciated! Thank you.

Last edited by jtesh96; 04-13-2016 at 02:32 PM.
Old 04-14-2016, 09:11 PM
Dude, i am having this same problem except itll catch a gear for a mile or so then just red line when i press the gas. Its like the gears arent engaging or something. I hope someone can answer this question.

Old 05-11-2018, 11:43 AM
Originally Posted by LowG35Life
Dude, i am having this same problem except itll catch a gear for a mile or so then just red line when i press the gas. Its like the gears arent engaging or something. I hope someone can answer this question.
I I am having the same problem has any of you all figured out what to do I could use some advice

Old 05-11-2018, 11:45 AM
Originally Posted by jtesh96
Alright, where to begin... I have a 2003 G35 sedan automatic 2nd gen with 213k miles. Within the past month, an issue has come to my attention. It started out as just fifth gear 'slipping' (that's the best way I think I can describe it). Basically it kind of went into neutral when I tried to accelerate slightly in just 5th gear at highway speeds. If I put a little extra foot in, fifth gear would catch and it would go. Then it got worse to the point where if I tried accelerating in fifth at all at highway speeds, it would just redline without accelerating at all. Now, currently, fifth gear does not work at all, at any speeds and fourth gear is starting to show signs of following suit. I was doing countless research and found out it might be a speed sensor going bad but I wasn't entirely confident in that seeing as other people with similar issues had a check engine light. I did not have a check engine light and the issue was getting progressively worse so I started leaning towards it being a mechanical issue rather than electrical. This was until I noticed my 'at check' light would flash at me several times everytime I started my car. So I decided to just hook a code scanner up and seen if i got any results. It pulled up code P1716 which I found out basically means the turbine revolution sensor is bad. Then the next time I started my car, the service engine soon light was on. So now I'm thinking it is the turbine revolutiono sensor. But that leaves me with a couple issues. Through research I found out the turbine revolution sensor is actually inside the g35's transmissions unlike their nissan counterparts the altima and maxima where the sensor is just right behind the front driver side's wheel. My first question is, has anyone replaced this on their own, is this a diy job? And if not, can I buy the sensor online and have just a transmission shop, who has the proper tools, replace the sensor for me? And lastly, can someone help me find the exact part number for this sensor for my car so I don't accidentally buy the wrong part? Any and all help will be greatly appreciated! Thank you.
I could use some advice I'm having the same problem

Old 05-11-2018, 03:30 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,456 Likes on 2,150 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Probably either a bad torque converter, or deposits clogging the valve body, or a slipping clutch or brake sleeve.

The sensor is just saying there is a problem, the sensor is obviously working.

Either way you are likely looking at getting another transmission (or rebuild) so take it to a specialty shop for a proper diagnosis.