Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

5AT engine convert to 6MT chassis.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-08-2017, 03:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5AT engine convert to 6MT chassis.

Hey guys,

I'm hoping somebody can help me out here. I've searched all over the place, but I haven't found a straight answer to this...

I have a 2004 G35 sedan, 6MT, and the engine is screwed up. Looks like one of the rings broke, and scored the cylinder. I'm looking to locate a replacement engine from a junkyard, but they're almost ALL from automatics. Can I buy an automatic and throw a flywheel on the crank and throw it in without any problems?? I have a junk yard guy saying that his system says they're the "same" but that they're "balanced differently," and that he's running to this problem a couple times with previous customers. He suggested I buy a much lower mileage engine out of a 6MT for roughly twice the price...

What do you guys think? Am I staring down a headache getting an AT and trying to make it into an MT?

Thanks all.

Old 04-08-2017, 09:59 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I do not see where there would be an issue other than just swapping the drive plate for a flywheel. You definitely need to get new bolts for that. Other than that, I would imagine everything would be the same.

I have installed an auto donor car's motor into a manual car but it was a QR25DE by simply swapping to the flywheel. I guess we can wait for someone to chime in that has actually done it on this platform.

Old 04-08-2017, 10:23 PM
Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts
It will work just fine. Make sure it's a DE non rev up for your 2004 though.
That means any engine from
03-04 G/Z
05-06 Auto G/Z

I have a 2004 G coupe 5AT and fitted a 2004 350z 6MT engine in it.
All I had to do was remove the drive plate and alignment bushing from my Auto engine and tap it onto the 6MT engine. All that does is center the torque converter. So all you would have to do is unbolt the flex plate and remove that bushing.

You might have some different sensor plugs depending on the year. For me, the o2 sensors on the Z were wideband and my G one's were not. I just used back my original wire harness.

The following users liked this post:
Z400Racer37 (06-05-2017)
Old 04-09-2017, 01:14 AM
Thanks a lot for the replies guys. Really appreciate it.Just a quick follow-up, does the "DE" designation indicate a non-rev up motor?

Thanks again.

Old 04-09-2017, 11:29 AM
Originally Posted by Z400Racer37
Thanks a lot for the replies guys. Really appreciate it.Just a quick follow-up, does the "DE" designation indicate a non-rev up motor?

Thanks again.
Nope. There are DE non rev up and DE rev ups.
The rev up is an improvement over its predecessor and the most notable difference is the addition of variable valve timing on the exhaust camshaft (in addition to the already present intake camshaft). You can see this difference by just looking at the front of the engine.

Z400Racer37 (06-05-2017)
Old 04-09-2017, 11:34 AM
Non rev left, rev up right

Z400Racer37 (06-05-2017)
Old 06-07-2017, 04:31 PM
Hey guys,

So a bit of an update... I got one engine from the junk yard which was bad, so I went back and got an auto out of an 06, which the guy guaranteed was in great shape and would work. While it's in great shape, I just got it into the car, and I'm noticing that the inside diameter for the hub on the flex plate is LARGER than the hole on the manual flywheel... Now, I know that the automatic transmission bushing has to come out, but how is this supposed to mount if the other hub is larger? I just caught that on my way out of the shop last weekend, so I haven't had a chance to really dig in here..... But has anyone else had this problem?? I seriously hope this thing doesn't have to go back after putting all that work into it (again)...

Thanks all!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.