Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Stumped removing fan pulley bracket

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-06-2017, 09:27 AM
Received 167 Likes on 147 Posts
I took mine off when I changed my water pump, timing chain, and guides. I think the hardest part was getting the actual pulley off due to rust. PB Blaster and few taps with a mallet solved that though. If you do remove it, I would hold on to it in case you need to do a timing chain though. I used an old belt, chain wrench, and wedged it against the bracket. Then used a breaker bar to get my crank bolt out.

Old 09-28-2017, 06:14 PM
Received 57 Likes on 55 Posts
Also have the rev-up and just like freshlikeag, I had a giant bruise on my forearm for a week after getting that pulley out. I gave it literally everything I had, and still failed. I think I managed to get it using a combo of pry bars, tear-based lubricant, noodle-y arms, and general despair.

Old 09-28-2017, 11:24 PM
Received 98 Likes on 94 Posts
I have a non rev-up and still a hassle. Got mine out with a mallet and long flathead tapping on the bracket. Wedged the spacer in and finished the rest with the mallet. Cleans up the engine and one less thing to worry about

Old 02-27-2018, 08:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I tried to get mine out last night and failed too. I just found this video, and if you look around the 2:30 mark, there are two 12mm bolts in the back of the PS pump that have to be loosened in order to let the fan pulley bracket come from out behind the PS pump bracket.
The biggest problem is that the bolts in the rear of the PS pump will be hard to get to without removing a lot of stuff on the left of the motor compartment.

Old 02-27-2018, 02:01 PM
As long as you're able to wiggle the bracket you can get it out with a long punch or flathead and a mallet. If I remember correct I was tappng at a downward angle to the right

Old 02-27-2018, 03:05 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,458 Likes on 2,152 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
I gave up and haven't gotten back to it, there is some extra casting material on the rev-up for the cam actuators that physically prevents me from wiggling it out. Some day in the future when that bearing actually goes out I'll rip everything apart on the front to get better access. Until then I don't really care anymore

Old 02-27-2018, 07:56 PM
It's definitely not something I'd do just because. It was time for new belts so I went for it. And it took a couple beers to stay calm

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.