Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

My experience with g35 warm starts then shuts off imediately

Old 02-18-2018, 04:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My experience with g35 warm starts then shuts off imediately

If you have experienced this problem lately whereby:
1. You have just disconnected the battery and performed some kind of repair (i.e. replace camshaft position sensor or installing radio)
2. G35 starts fine from a cold start
3. Your G35 is higher mileage > 80,000 mileage
3. After engine warms up, restarting the g35 from warm start = engine stalls after 1-2 seconds
4. You've tried resetting ECM, acceleration position, throttle position, clearing air mixture ratio self-learning and Idle air volume procedure you still experience the engine stall after warm start
5. No ECM error codes are present, no service engine light

Solution (for me):
1. Clean throttle body (you don't have to remove entire throttle body, clean from outside is fine, make sure you are careful when opening flaps with hand as to not use excessive force)
2. Replace everything, start car to operating temp, turn off, start car again to ensure issue is corrected
3. Reset ECM, acceleration position, throttle position, idle air volume procedure
4. **If problem persists = throttle body replacement

This solution has been suggested on the forums before, just thought I'd consolidate the info a bit for those that are frustrated with this issue
To save troubleshooting time, if your car is >80,000 miles and you plan on servicing any parts, you might as well clean the throttle body while you are under the hood

Hope this helps someone

Last edited by khuunla0805; 02-18-2018 at 05:57 PM.
Old 02-18-2018, 05:05 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,456 Likes on 2,150 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
I don't recommend folks to EVER work the butterfly valve of the throttle body by hand, the throttle actuator motor is just too susceptible to damage. Spray the bejesus out of it with TB cleaner but don't physically work the motor by hand. If you have a non-revup you can have someone else step on the gas pedal while the ignition is in the ON position (engine not running) which will open the TB.

Idle recalibration would need to be performed after a TB cleaning and I also recommend a TB position reset as well since accumulated gunk could have it at a slightly different closed position.

The following users liked this post:
FreshLikeAG (02-18-2018)
Old 02-18-2018, 07:42 PM
Received 738 Likes on 627 Posts
Yeah, this has been covered many times. It's because of how the egr system works. If you notice, there's a small hose that goes into the intake tube and exhaust gasses are reintroduced into the new air. Because the exhaust gasses contain a ton of carbon, the carbon builds up on the hinges over time and become so sticky that the TB motor can't overcome them. Usually companies will coat the TB in an extremely slick coating to prevent this (you'll sometimes see a sticker on the TB of other cars that says "DO NOT CLEAN THE TB" to prevent you from harming the coating), but Nissan screwed up.

Old 02-18-2018, 07:58 PM
Received 98 Likes on 94 Posts
If I do ever mess with the TB and throw things off, will the idle air volume relearn on nissan data scan or torq app bring things back to normal? Will that perform the pedal reset and all...?

Old 02-18-2018, 08:12 PM
Received 738 Likes on 627 Posts
Originally Posted by FreshLikeAG
If I do ever mess with the TB and throw things off, will the idle air volume relearn on nissan data scan or torq app bring things back to normal? Will that perform the pedal reset and all...?
Pedal relearn should do it.

Now, I'm not saying it's no big deal - plenty of people have had problems because they mess with the butterfly - but I have done it half a dozen times while fully opening the butterfly and no problems other than a slightly longer crank time after the first time.

I only open it once tho - not sure if that's why. I open fully, hold it there, clean the crap out of it with spray, toothbrush and shop towels with my other hand, then let it go.