Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

transmission Bleeder valve idea

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-25-2018, 01:53 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb transmission Bleeder valve idea

hey guys what up, quick idea i wanted to throw out. so i want to drain my automatic fluid but for the future i want to have a bleeder valve or screw instead of just the plug. stumbled upon a website that has that screw. apparently the drain plug dimensions are m18 x 1.5 10mm (found in another forum) so what if (i know this might be overkill) every oil change i also drain precisely with the bleeder screw 2 quarts of tranny fluid and refill with new? that way its just part of maintenance, you never worry about draining 4-5 quarts (even though theres still old fluid in torque converter) , and you always have clean fluid in your transmission. in theory you would always have new fluid coming in instead of waiting for 30,000 miles. maybe im crazy for the overkill but just seemed like a good concept.if you guys have any opinions i would love to hear them! heres the link to the product i spent hours searching for https://www.stahlbus-us.com/stahlbus...steel-set.html

The following users liked this post:
Blue Dream (08-25-2018)
Old 08-25-2018, 09:20 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
This is one of the most original/unique suggestions I have read on here in years. Makes sense to do it when the car's already jacked up and it wouldn't add more than a couple of minutes to the process. It might be overkill as you mentioned but given the transmission holds over 10 qts. you'll be replacing ~20% ever 5K miles if that's your oil change interval. The only downside I see is Matic S/J usually hovers around $10/qt. but that seems like a small price to pay for the peace of mind to constantly refresh the fluid.

If you end up doing this please let us know how it turns out.

Old 08-25-2018, 12:56 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1,018 Likes on 936 Posts
I got matic S from the dealer for $6 a bottle do shop locally lol.

Old 08-25-2018, 03:33 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,456 Likes on 2,150 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
The only thing I see is you are doing more frequent drain/fills which = time.

Old 08-25-2018, 11:35 PM
Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts
Not a bad idea. Maybe every other oil change instead? Screw the oem oil. Use Valvoline synthetic - all matic compatible and -$5/qrt.

Old 08-26-2018, 01:18 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
thanks for the feedback!!! read everyones suggestions, i think maybe every oil change you drain out a quart of tranny fluid from that bleeder valve i was talking about to keep it fresh. if its overkill for you then every other oil change would be perfect aswell. (helps keep costs down) i beat the crap out of my g so i dont necessarily want to drain 5qt but just every once in a while introduce new fluid. i change my oil every 3k (overkill for some) but yeah that bleeder screw instead of drain plug would make changing 1qt of fluid so simple why not do it you know? would it be bad if you had a bleeder screw on the trans where drain plug would be? can you use the same pneumatic vaccum pump that you use for brake bleeder screws to suck out MORE trans fluid or is that basically a flush? i cant say the same for this idea as a oil bleeder screw because we only do changes not one quart lol but yeah i figured since brakes have bleeder screws why dont other places where its changed more often or more complicated/ messier. maybe we on to something boys! Lets brainstorm!!

Old 08-26-2018, 06:49 AM
The volume of oil you want to move (1-2 qrts) and inability to build pressure (see brake pedal) makes a plug as opposed to a bleeder necessary. It's not hard to strip the plug in the trans pan. Dropping the pan and valve body allows for the replacement of approx 7. One could draw out fluid via a pump through the dipstick tunel.
I'd just stick to traditional methods and timelines. You'll be fine.

Old 08-26-2018, 07:44 AM
Received 372 Likes on 339 Posts
So whats the best way of removing and refilling all the transmission fluid?

Old 08-26-2018, 08:44 AM
If you're willing, drop the pan & pull the valve body. The pan might contain another 1 qrt + and the vb 1/2 +. It's a lot of work and pulling the vb is a pita. I pulled the vb to install a shift kit and in all, 7+ quarts was replaced.
I'd drop the pan, clean the inside of the pan & magnets, then pull the plug a month or 2 later and replace what comes out. IIRC, the FSM reads something along these lines. Great time to ditch the oem oil and go synthetic if the trans is good and not too many miles and a good time to install a shift kit.

Old 08-27-2018, 02:19 AM
Received 372 Likes on 339 Posts
^ ^ ^
Thats a lot of work. Screw that!

I remember seeing someone do it thru the lines on the transmission oil cooler. My car obviously doesnt have the tranny oil cooler but it made me wonder....do u think it still has the ports for the cooler lines and they are just plugged?

Old 08-27-2018, 06:44 AM
If you have an auto, you have a trans cooler. It's the bottom portion of the radiator.

The following users liked this post:
Scorpi0 (08-27-2018)