Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Possibly messed up trans pump?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-18-2018, 04:38 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Possibly messed up trans pump?

Hey guys, got a 2005 G35 Sedan AT, 150k miles. Unfortunately, after resolving an issue with Front Brake Solenoid, I discovered the trans was shot. I picked up a 110k mile trans at a good price from salvage. Upon installing (like I said, first time) I didn’t have the torque converter fully seated in the trans, and went to tighten up the bolts to the engine to guide the pins in, cause that’s all that was keeping it from sliding together. The bolts were easy to tighten with a ratchet, nothing felt wrong. After getting trans mounted, I went to turn crankshaft to bolt up the flywheel and it wouldn’t budge. After some reading I discovered that I must’ve not had it fully seated, which I didn’t. I also figured out while reading that I could’ve damaged the pump :/ I didn’t wanna put it in correctly without knowing if I’m wasting time cause of the pump. 1. The bolts were super easy to tighten, and nothing felt out of the ordinary whatsoever, and I had the trans super flush before tightening and torque converter was on the splines. No noise other than the metal “sliding” in from the pins (supposedly could be a pop if pump breaks). 2. No physical damage on the pump seal, everything seats and moves fine still. 3. The distance I close the gap with bolts was MAX 3/8 of an inch, same length as pins on trans. What are my chances I broke the pump, and how do I know if I did? I really feel like it’s probably fine even though I’ve read it’s a possibility but don’t wanna take trans apart if not necessary or put it in and have to take it back out. Thanks - Josh

Old 09-18-2018, 11:23 AM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,456 Likes on 2,150 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
EXACTLY which transmission are you trying to install, get the ID tag off the transmission if you didn't see the vehicle it was pulled from.

There shouldn't be ANY gap between the bellhousing and engine, you should be able to easily mate the two by hand and finger tight all the bellhousing bolts, if there is a gap then something is definitely wrong and you need to pull the transmission back and verify everything is in place. Here is a snippet from the FSM for checking the backspacing on the torque converter once you set it in the bellhousing.

Old 09-18-2018, 01:18 PM
I did, I saw the vehicle and made sure the model numbers matched. Both are model 92X18. I’m sure they are the same transmission. Also, that’s useful info. I’ve figured out how to get it in properly at this point, but don’t want to do so if the pump may be damaged.

Old 09-18-2018, 02:02 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,456 Likes on 2,150 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
The only way you're going to know that is to take the transmission back off and pull the oil pump, fortunately it's pretty straightforward. Take off the torque converter, unbolt the flange of bolts holding the oil pump in place and use a slide hammer with bolts screwed back in to the 2 o' clock and 7 o'clock position on the oil pump. Make sure to replace the oil pump o-ring when you reinstall it.

What exactly is it that can break on the oil pump I've never heard of this problem before? Do you have links to where you got this information?

Old 09-18-2018, 02:29 PM
https://forums.trailvoy.com/archive/.../t-140338.html
http://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/did...n-pump.329670/

I cant exactly recall everything I was reading but I know these (although they are different cars) are 2 of the sources. I don’t even know what it would be? I’m not familiar with autos whatsoever but I think it would be the pump stator tube. You can glance through those and see what they are saying. To be honest, I think I would’ve known if I broke something. I don’t want to install anyways until I can get some info from somewhere.