Forced Induction Discussion of turbos , superchargers , and nitrous upgrades on the G35

Fi owners with the auto trans...trans cooler

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-02-2007, 06:11 PM
Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts
Fi owners with the auto trans...trans cooler

This is for fi equipped cars were the ic block,s the rad,Where did you mount your trans cooler cause it def is not going anywhere near the front of the intercooler.Any pic,s and what type did you choose.

Old 09-02-2007, 06:57 PM
Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts
Not sure if you can see mine from this picture but I have both my oil coolers in the side vents in the front of the bumper.
You can make out the red lettering of the Stillen oil cooler on the driver side vent.

Old 09-02-2007, 07:20 PM
Originally Posted by urban
Not sure if you can see mine from this picture but I have both my oil coolers in the side vents in the front of the bumper.
You can make out the red lettering of the Stillen oil cooler on the driver side vent.

Thanks man i can see one of them but i get your point.But this is what my front end looks like,and i plan on putting it behind the pass side air intake.I was just wondering if i would need a fan for it but i think it will get plenty of airflow.

Old 09-02-2007, 09:56 PM
Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts
You should be fine with that location.

Old 09-02-2007, 10:18 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I put my trans cooler right behind the grill, on the passenger side. There are a few mount locations you can use with simple bracket material.

Rick

Old 09-03-2007, 02:58 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
^^+1^^ There is room up front...just need to fab up a bracket, and do some routing.

Old 09-04-2007, 06:05 PM
Devil's Advocate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^^^ That's pretty much what I did too.

Old 09-07-2007, 12:57 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Make sure you get a trans cooler with a small fan on it for max cooling.

Matt

Old 09-07-2007, 05:49 PM
Originally Posted by Matt at PF
Make sure you get a trans cooler with a small fan on it for max cooling.

Matt
I can see how the fan would help when idling, or parked and running, however while driving at more than 10MPH, that fan may actually restrict airflow....

Old 09-07-2007, 06:44 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by ISMSOLUTIONS
I can see how the fan would help when idling, or parked and running, however while driving at more than 10MPH, that fan may actually restrict airflow....
+1
Putting the cooler up front where it can get good air flow...is all that is needed

Old 09-29-2007, 12:55 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Dont mind me if this is a stupid question. Will the stillen trans cooler be more effective than the stock radiator connection on an N/A set up? Can both be done together for better cooling and extending tranny life?

Old 09-29-2007, 01:10 PM
Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
My cooler is connected "in addition" to the one in the radiator. Can't have too much cooling!

Old 10-01-2007, 02:01 PM
Originally Posted by sliderg35
My cooler is connected "in addition" to the one in the radiator. Can't have too much cooling!
There are 2 main reasons to install an aftermarket cooler:

1 - to arid is keeping the car cooler and more efficient overall. The trans fluid is hotter than the coolant, so when removing the additional cooling overhead from the car, the car will run cooler.

2 - The aftermarket coolers are much better at the job. Also, the fundamental need is to prolong the amount of time the fluid is out of the trans, so it will cool better generally. Lengthening the lines by themselves, about 14" each, will drop trans temps pretty well

I wouldn't keep using the radiator trans cooler - it will only hurt, as technically the fluid is being cooled by much hotter water than air alone in the cooler - reducing efficiency overall.

Rick

Old 10-01-2007, 06:45 PM
Originally Posted by ISMSOLUTIONS
There are 2 main reasons to install an aftermarket cooler:

1 - to arid is keeping the car cooler and more efficient overall. The trans fluid is hotter than the coolant, so when removing the additional cooling overhead from the car, the car will run cooler.

2 - The aftermarket coolers are much better at the job. Also, the fundamental need is to prolong the amount of time the fluid is out of the trans, so it will cool better generally. Lengthening the lines by themselves, about 14" each, will drop trans temps pretty well

I wouldn't keep using the radiator trans cooler - it will only hurt, as technically the fluid is being cooled by much hotter water than air alone in the cooler - reducing efficiency overall.

Rick
I ran mine inline with the rad cooler as b@m instructs you to do.I called their tech line to ask if i could bypass the rad cooler and they advised against it unless you are running a very large cooler,they also said that the rad cooler helps to get the trans fluid up to operating temp faster.

Old 10-01-2007, 07:17 PM
Originally Posted by superchargedg
I ran mine inline with the rad cooler as b@m instructs you to do.I called their tech line to ask if i could bypass the rad cooler and they advised against it unless you are running a very large cooler,they also said that the rad cooler helps to get the trans fluid up to operating temp faster.
You are correct - their reasoning is primarily based on the fact that the aftermarket coolers are far more efficient than the one built onto the radiator. By keeping the radiator in line, you do allow the trans to heat up faster, but a the same time, prevent the trans fluid from staying as cool as it could be as well.

The lessor of the two evils, and preference, would be to run it cooler than warmer any day. If you are FI - you want cool as can be to reduce the stress of the added power. There are several models to choose from = get at least the 1/2" to 5/8" version - the 1" is way overkill for our cars - unless your pushing over 500WHP, etc.

Rick

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Fi owners with the auto trans...trans cooler