Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Down hill start?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-22-2019, 03:44 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Down hill start?

So I’m new to manual cars and this morning as I was walking to my parking spot,some idiot has parked super close to my bumper and I struggled to get out of the spot going 1st and reverse the whole time.Right when I was about to finally about to leave my parking spot, the car had hit a slight down hill slope part of the street.If I put the car in neutral the car will roll forward so I quickly put the car in reverse but to my surprise my shifter wouldn’t let me put in reverse as I was braking and clutching.I pressed down and it wouldn’t allow me to turn the shifter to right.I put the car in 1st gear and the car will roll back but if I put the car in reverse the car will slowly creep forward sorry if I sound so confusing.Anyways I managed to get out the parking spot and drove off and the car felt normal it’s just weird how the gears were reversed for a second on that down hill part of the street.1st gear was reverse and reverse was 1st gear lol has anyone experienced this?? Is this normal?

Old 05-22-2019, 05:31 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,456 Likes on 2,150 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
I'm 100% sure it was simply a trick of your imagination.

Old 05-22-2019, 06:02 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by cleric670@gmail
I'm 100% sure it was simply a trick of your imagination.
The reverse wasn’t though I always have trouble with it not sure if it’s a trans problem.I would press down and the shifter refuses to go to the right.It would take me at least 3 tries until it actually wants to go into reverse.I noticed it started to act up when a mechanic who wasn’t comfortable driving my car put in reverse I heard a loud Dump noise as I think he forced it into reverse

Old 05-22-2019, 06:15 PM
Received 334 Likes on 286 Posts
Coupe, Premium package, sport suspension
Originally Posted by Ichiglo_
The reverse wasn’t though I always have trouble with it not sure if it’s a trans problem.I would press down and the shifter refuses to go to the right.It would take me at least 3 tries until it actually wants to go into reverse.
You have to first put it into first, then it will easily slide into reverse. This has been noted before in your threads.

Old 05-22-2019, 10:19 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
G35 6MT Sport Sedan (Desert Platinum)
Originally Posted by Ichiglo_
The reverse wasn’t though I always have trouble with it not sure if it’s a trans problem.I would press down and the shifter refuses to go to the right.It would take me at least 3 tries until it actually wants to go into reverse.I noticed it started to act up when a mechanic who wasn’t comfortable driving my car put in reverse I heard a loud Dump noise as I think he forced it into reverse
When I park facing uphill, I leave it in 1st. When I park facing downhill, I leave it in R. I don't have trouble shifting into R, and I don't need to press down very hard at all to do it. I have noticed when shifting from Neutral to First, I frequently hear a "loud dump" noise like you described, seems to be coming from like underneath the body or the trunk, not so much the engine area. In any case, it does it frequently, it's not gotten worse, and it's familiar by now, so I pay it no mind. Not sure that's the answer you're looking for, but even slamming it into R being a crappy mechanic probably wouldn't do anything permanent.