Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Car won't start- limp mode?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-15-2019, 04:30 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Infiniti g35 Coupe 3.5
Car won't start- limp mode?

Hey everyone. So I've been posting with issues regarding my car for a bit now, and I think I'm starting to narrow it down.

My 05 g35 coupe has a u1000 Can Comm error code that comes on intermittently. When the code isn't on, my car starts and drives perfectly. When it does come on, all hell breaks loose. Recently it's been acting up again, so I figured i'd try another post.

When driving my car, I'll feel a jerk, the gear display will go blank, and the CEL light and AT CHECK light will pop on. The car has almost no power to it, takes forever to accelerate, and I never feel it shift gears. To me, it feels like it's in a limp mode. It'll drive like this until suddenly it'll jerk, and the PRNDL display will light up again with "D", the AT CHECK light will go away, and it'll drive and shift normally. However, if it goes into "limp mode" while i'm driving it, as soon as i turn the car off it refuses to start again for at least half an hour. When I try to start it, there is no crank, no noise at all actually, and the gear display on the dashboard is blank. I have to wait for the gear display to show a gear for the car to start again, and that takes anywhere from half an hour to four hours.

Any ideas on if this is a bad ground, bad circuit, bad sensor, etc? It happens intermittently, so my money is on an electrical issue. I've checked all the grounds I could easily find but I'm sure I'm missing a few. Maybe a ground for the TCM?

The following users liked this post:
tht.slow.35 (10-11-2023)
Old 09-15-2019, 04:48 PM
Super Moderator

Received 196 Likes on 177 Posts
Front and rear cameras, tire pressure for all four tires can display on screen,folding side view mir
Originally Posted by infinity35
Hey everyone. So I've been posting with issues regarding my car for a bit now, and I think I'm starting to narrow it down.

My 05 g35 coupe has a u1000 Can Comm error code that comes on intermittently. When the code isn't on, my car starts and drives perfectly. When it does come on, all hell breaks loose. Recently it's been acting up again, so I figured i'd try another post.

When driving my car, I'll feel a jerk, the gear display will go blank, and the CEL light and AT CHECK light will pop on. The car has almost no power to it, takes forever to accelerate, and I never feel it shift gears. To me, it feels like it's in a limp mode. It'll drive like this until suddenly it'll jerk, and the PRNDL display will light up again with "D", the AT CHECK light will go away, and it'll drive and shift normally. However, if it goes into "limp mode" while i'm driving it, as soon as i turn the car off it refuses to start again for at least half an hour. When I try to start it, there is no crank, no noise at all actually, and the gear display on the dashboard is blank. I have to wait for the gear display to show a gear for the car to start again, and that takes anywhere from half an hour to four hours.

Any ideas on if this is a bad ground, bad circuit, bad sensor, etc? It happens intermittently, so my money is on an electrical issue. I've checked all the grounds I could easily find but I'm sure I'm missing a few. Maybe a ground for the TCM?
See page EC-164 in the FSM

https://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/G35/Coupe/2005/ec.pdf

Possible causeU1000*11000*1CAN communication lineECM cannot communicate to other control units.ECM cannot communicate for more than the specified time.Harness or connectors(CAN communication line is open or shorted)

Has anything gotten wet lately?

Old 01-04-2024, 08:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G35
Having the same problemm

Started to Having the same problem when my 04 won't start so I changed the battery when I was washing it and suddenly won't start a I hit the ignition under the engine with a steal and it started,and sometimes works perfectly and sometimes won't shift and start doing what he said so I have to turn off and on multiple times
the AtCheck light start to on and off multiple times when it light ones it's all good and it happen again