Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Phenolic Intake Manifold Spacers

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-09-2005, 06:01 PM
Don't drink and Mag Race
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Copba1t:

Actually, the more heat you can keep IN the engine, the more power it makes. Radiant heat lost from aluminum heads is lost energy, while the same heads in iron make more power. The main reason most performance heads are aluminum is because they can run more compression without detonation due to cooling through radiant heat loss.

If you can keep the heat in the combustion chamber and out the exhaust, you will make more power. I have witnessed this while "hot-lapping" the car at the strip. The car got faster and faster as heat built up in the heads.

The cooling of the intake manifold is no joke.....I have a stack of timeslips with before/after icing down of the manifiold. IMHO, the lion's share of the gains comes not from the actual density increase of the air charge, but from the ECU being in the most optimal map due to intake temperature conditions being satisfied.

This mod was a worthwhile one on the old 5.0 Mustangs, no reason why it wouldn't work on our cars. Good luck.

Wayne

Old 03-09-2005, 08:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interesting. I'll definitely keep an eye on this one but I still have some doubts that it's going to net enough gain to be worth the trouble

Old 03-09-2005, 09:17 PM
I installed the Nextgear gasket set. The plenum is totally cool even after a hard run and there is a better pull throughout the range. No dyno to confirm, but I do not regret doing it at all.

THERMOSHIELD GASKET SPECS

Before air can enter the combustion chamber of your engine, it first has to enter the air filter, travel through intake piping or tubing, pass through the throttle body, enter the intake manifold, and finally enter the cylinder head. There are many points along the path of this air flow where the air encounters a heat source. The ambient air temperature within the engine compartment can heat all of the surfaces along this path. This is called heat soak and it robs power from your engine. Most of the power robbing heat soak occurs when the cylinder head heats up the intake manifold.

NextGear Thermoshield Gaskets prevent this heat soak from occurring by insulating the intake against the unwanted heat generated by the cylinder head. NextGear Thermoshield Gaskets are direct replacement parts for your OEM intake manifold gasket. Thermoshield Gaskets increase the power output from your engine by preventing heat soak between the cylinder head and the intake manifold keeping your intake cooler. A cooler intake means denser more oxygen rich air and a better fuel burn resulting in more power.

How do Thermoshield Gaskets work? They maintain a colder air charge all the way to the combustion chamber. Cold air is denser than hot air but has less volume. When cold air is delivered to the combustion chamber, the fuel/air mixture within the chamber contains more oxygen, which means a better burn, and more power.

If you've spent time and money installing a cold air system then you know the value of cold air in the combustion chamber. But if you're not careful, just when the air is hitting the most critical part of the system, unwanted heat soak can undo all the effort you spent getting the air cold. NextGear Thermoshield Gaskets as provide a line of defense against heat soak, and a strong offense for making horsepower.

http://www.nextgearinc.com/

Old 03-09-2005, 09:23 PM
I also made a upper plenum spacer at home with .25" thick High-Temp silicone. Between the Nextgear insulating between the heads & lower plenum assy. and the silicone between the lower & upper plenum, the air is pretty cool going past the valves. Dense, cool air is always a good thing. Hence intercoolers on FI etc.

Attached Thumbnails Phenolic Intake Manifold Spacers-silicone2.jpg   Phenolic Intake Manifold Spacers-silicone3.jpg  
Old 03-10-2005, 08:34 AM
Don't drink and Mag Race
Ballisticus: Approx. how thick is the lower plenum gasket? Do you know of what material they are made? Thx.

W

Old 03-10-2005, 09:16 AM
Its about .125" (1/8") thick. Its a red high temp plastic. Probably a glass-filled teflon, or high temp polyurethane. Try these guys http://www.mcmaster.com/
It they dont have it, it probably doesnt exist.

Old 03-10-2005, 04:37 PM
Don't drink and Mag Race
Thanks for the link.

Old 07-08-2005, 11:44 AM
i'm not a dealer or vendor on this forum but i am one of the owners of NextGear. All I can say is don't use either of the materials stated in the above post. they will eventually melt/degrade and leave you with a big mess that could damage your motor. The material we use has a lot higher heat tolerances to ensure that the gaskets don't degrade. just a little advice. hopefully the mods won't take this the wrong way.

Old 07-08-2005, 12:59 PM
Don't drink and Mag Race
What temps are your materials rated for? Oil/gas resistance? Any addtl. info would be appreciated.

Old 07-08-2005, 01:38 PM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
watching... very informative.

Old 07-08-2005, 05:52 PM
If I give you that information then I run the risk of you figuring out what we use as our material, then i'd have to kill you. ha ha....lets just say that our gaskets have operating temperatures where others would melt. on some applications we've seen cylinder heads operating at as much as 230 degrees surface temperature. even at those temps I'd still have no worries running our gaskets.

\I know this sounds like a sales pitch but we've spent a lot of time, energy and money researching various materials and making sure that our gaskets won't fail and/or degrade through the heat cycling of the typical engine. although we've never had any reports of our old gaskets failing, we've recently changed our material to ensure that we don't ever have a customer running our parts that has a problem. our new Thermoshield HHT gaskets now come with a five year warranty on the product because we're that confident in the new material.

If you've got any more questions i'll be happy to answer them off line. I don't want to **** off the mods.

email me at omari_winbush@nextgearinc.com

thanks

Old 07-30-2005, 01:03 AM
Is this a spacer that's between the manifold and the runners? not one of those plunum spacers.

Old 07-30-2005, 01:57 AM
I have had some personal experience with phenol spacers in 3 different cars (2 not mine). Amoungst the things already said about the benefits...it is a technology that has been in use by hundreds..maybe thousands of other platforms.

The first one I had done was on my buddies KLZE motor in his V6 probe. No "gains" in HP, but more of a retention of HPs once the engine is warmed up. Basically...I could put my hand on the intake manifold after a few WOT runs.

You could definately feel that "I just started to run the car" feeling all day.

There is lots of historical info and dyno's to look at on www.probetalk.com.

my 2 cents.

Old 07-30-2005, 02:28 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
interesting, just posting so i can check back on this later

Old 08-02-2005, 02:41 PM
I'm In...

Put me on the list...cooler denser air is better!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Phenolic Intake Manifold Spacers