Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Unichip Installation

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-27-2005, 11:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The VQ is probably 98% dialed in from the start. That means the profile, overlap, and variable timing of the cams is engineered for a specific amount of backpressure for proper cylinder loading. No piggyback fuel map adjust will be able to retune the flow dynamics. N/A gains are limited in the extreme on an engine as refined as the VQ. Go too far and the cost per HP will be out the window. Better to get some .020" over 8.5:1 with pauter rods and go TT. You will be into it about $12000, but it will be a beast and kill just about anything out there.

Old 03-27-2005, 11:55 AM
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
$12000? I wish.....

By the time EVERYTHING is done you'll be looking at closer to 20K

Old 03-27-2005, 12:30 PM
WRAH
Originally Posted by KPierson
My modem compressed graphics when it downloads them, and it has made your base HP number the same color as the background, so I can't see it. Your torque numbers look very similar from one run to the other, without multiple dyno runs I wouldn't trust the gains.
Wait! Your dial up? So thats how you paid for the FI

Old 03-27-2005, 01:04 PM
Banned
Actually, I have a wireless Sprint PCS cellular modem in my laptop. That is how I manage to post and drive my work truck at the same time!

Old 03-28-2005, 10:05 AM
Where are you now kevin...I am looking out for a drifting pickup!

Old 03-28-2005, 10:34 AM
Banned
Haha I don't have the pickup anymore... I'm in a 2004 Van. I've been in Chicago since December with a few trips to Nashville and Missouri. i've been trying to get back out to Philly or even Baltimore, but no work out that way right now!

Old 03-28-2005, 08:06 PM
I spoke with Unichip today and there appeared to be a difference in perception regarding performance measurements and graphs. I admit that I did not notice that Unichip markets it performance measurements and graphs in BHP (brake horsepower). That is, all the results are measured at the flywheel. Because of which, the results exhibited on Unichip’s website appear to be phenomenal. To the best of my knowledge, I have never seen any discussion mentioned herein, or at any G35-based forum, that measures horsepower by means of BHP. My experience was that BHP was simply marketecture and did not reflect real-world application. For this reason, its uselessness in terms of performance. I feel that Unichip is slightly misleading the public in this area.

Because of, I did some rough arithmetic and determined that the Unichip is only capable of producing around 10RWHP and 10 or 11 lb Torque on an N/A engine, period. Referencing Unichip’s 2003 Infiniti G35 3.5L + Injen CAI + Headers + C/Back graph, I took the stock specification of the 2003 G35 Coupe 6MT of 280BHP and 270 lb Torque and subtracted 19.5% (loss of HP from the drive train to the rear wheels, etc). With this 19.5% loss, I came up with 238RWHP and 229.5 lb Torque. These numbers seem to correspond with the results of most stock G35 Coupes. Again, there may be slight variances but I believe these results to be reasonable. As the performance specifications on the 2003 G35 Coupe 6MT reflect maximum HP at 6200 RPM and maximum Torque at 4800 RPM, I pulled Unichip’s results from the same RPM. However, as Unichip’s measurements do not include 4800 and 6200 RPM readings, I took the “average” reading between 6000 and 6500 RPM and the Torque readings between 4500 and 5000 RPM. Again, not scientific, but reasonable for this illustration. As a result, the numbers were 308 BHP and 288 lb Torque. Then, I subtracted 19.5% (loss of HP from the drive train to the rear wheels, etc) of both BHP and Torque and came up with 261.8 RWHP and 244.8 lb Torque.

To reiterate, my vehicle running the Unichip produced 262 RWHP at 6100 RPM and 238 lb Torque at 4800 RPM. The slight variance of 6.8 lb Torque may be the difference in my Stillen race pipes. I am told that removing the catalytic converters results in a slight loss of low-end torque. Is this simply a coincidence? I do not think so. After removing Unichip’s fancy marketing, my results are almost dead on! What this tells me as I have stated earlier, the Unichip will provide a maximum of 10 RWHP and 10 lb Torque, period. However, the user should have the “stock” maps that Unichip provides modified or tweaked. With the addition of these custom maps, and dyno run’s, may cost you an additional $300. Therefore, the crux of this matter is how much is it worth to the user for an additional 10 RWHP. So far, I have invested $1,400 or $140 per RWHP.

Though I am not implying any wrongdoing by Unichip, they are certainly slanting the data in the Unichip’s favor. Further, I have found that it takes a considerable amount of prodding for Unichip to specifically address the Unichip’s actual performance and limitations. All of which, is wholly nonexistent on their website. To reiterate, the folks at Unichip are thorough in response and customer service. They will follow-up you and genuinely take an interest in your concerns. However, I have a problem with Unichip’s lack of information on their website and the manner in which they market and obtain their data. Both of which leave the customer with heightened expectations.

Thank you.

Last edited by realdieu; 03-28-2005 at 10:53 PM.
Old 03-28-2005, 09:49 PM
Banned
Good write up. Sorry this doesn't have a happier ending.

Old 03-29-2005, 07:35 AM
The only problem I see is that they promise (advertise) a 5-9% increase in hp. You got less than 5% increase in rwhp, so the only logical conclusion I can come to is that they LIED! (and this was after you had the chip "custom tuned" to your vehicle and not the 5-9% they promise out of the box).

I'm going to book mark this thread for future reference. Good work!!!

Old 03-29-2005, 10:26 AM
Does Unichip raise the rev limit?

Old 03-29-2005, 12:36 PM
Yes, it bumped it to 7K.

Originally Posted by SixFive
Does Unichip raise the rev limit?

Old 03-29-2005, 03:38 PM
Banned
It does?

I would love to know how..... I'll have to think on that one....

The rev limiter is built into the ECU.

Ok, got it. The Unichip takes over timing and fuel, so it doesn't raise the stock limiter, it replaces the stock revlimiter. It would be interesting to see how the stock ECU responds to combustion AFTER it tries to stop it! Haha

Old 03-29-2005, 04:25 PM
Yes, I quite surprised to see the little red dial hovering at 7,000RPM. A actually had to do a double take to ensure I was not seeing things.

Originally Posted by KPierson
It does?

I would love to know how..... I'll have to think on that one....

The rev limiter is built into the ECU.

Ok, got it. The Unichip takes over timing and fuel, so it doesn't raise the stock limiter, it replaces the stock revlimiter. It would be interesting to see how the stock ECU responds to combustion AFTER it tries to stop it! Haha

Old 04-28-2005, 11:51 PM
Well, I returned the Unichip. However, the restocking fee went from no restocking fee, to a 15% restocking fee, to a 25% restocking fee in a matter of two weeks. Just so you know, Unichip will not stand behind its products or its distributors/installers. Old Jack of Unichip told me he charges a 25% restocking fee from his distributors. They really know how to pooh-pooh on their customers. I remember when I first spoke to Jack (manager), he told me I would see 20+ hp. sadly, he was wrong by 11+hp. In fact, I do not believe the whopping 9hp gain I saw at redline was valid anyway. If you recall, the Unichip has its way of bumping the stock redline from 6500 to 7000. That extra 500RPM surely squeezed out a few extra ponies. From Gumbee’s whopping 6hp gain to my 9hp gain at redline, this was the most ridiculous and asinine stunt I have ever pulled. Actually, I am embarrassed that I jumped on the Unichip bandwagon so early. Generally, I tend to be more critical with purchases of this magnitude. Anyway, I spent around $1,300 and now I have $675 to show for it. This whole nightmare cost me $625. Anyway, I am going to take my vehicle to a chassis dyno and record some quality runs and send it to Technosquare for an ECU re-flash...

Last edited by realdieu; 04-28-2005 at 11:54 PM.
Old 04-29-2005, 01:39 AM
Banned
Thats terrible, I really feel bad for you and all you have been through. Its REDICULOUS that a company would actually do that for you. Why would anyone charge a restocking fee if the product they sold you NEVER worked. I guess we'll leave the Unichip for the Honda people....

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Unichip Installation