Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Popcharger or K&N drop-in?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-27-2005, 12:07 PM
raises all-in
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Popcharger or K&N drop-in?

Ok, I've decided on the OEM Z-tube. Now the only question is...JWT popcharger or K&N drop-in filter?

Searching and reading some previous threads, I gather that the differences are:

* popcharger sounds better
* popcharger is more sensitive to temperature differences (may even lose power vs stock in hot summer weather)
* K&N's performance is consistent, but not as good as popcharger in cold temperatures

I'd like to get some final thoughts from you guys before I make my decision. Thanks.

Old 04-27-2005, 12:29 PM
i like the popcharger. it even sounds almost like a turbo spooling under light acceleration you probably won't feel much of a gain from the tube+filter untill you swap out your oem plenum!

Old 04-27-2005, 06:31 PM
Agree. Neither one will turn your car into a 600 HP monster, but the Pop gives more benefit than a K&N filter. I live where it's over 100º for four months out of the year, and I've never *noticed* a power loss in the heat.

Old 04-27-2005, 10:42 PM
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Sedan
Originally Posted by dirrtybear
Ok, I've decided on the OEM Z-tube. Now the only question is...JWT popcharger or K&N drop-in filter?

Searching and reading some previous threads, I gather that the differences are:

* popcharger sounds better
* popcharger is more sensitive to temperature differences (may even lose power vs stock in hot summer weather)
* K&N's performance is consistent, but not as good as popcharger in cold temperatures

I'd like to get some final thoughts from you guys before I make my decision. Thanks.
I opted for the K&N filter simply because I believe the stock air box is a good design that is difficult to improve on.

Old 04-27-2005, 11:19 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've used the PopCharger and was very disappointed. It feels weaker in the lower rpm. Other people can confirm this also. I could really feel it accelerating from a dead stop.

Next I switched to the Stillen Hi Flo Box. With the Stillen, torque loss in the lower RPM is less noticeable. Also contrary to popular belief, The Stillen is a little louder than the PopCharger.

I believe the Z-tube+K&N is the best option but if really want to make your car louder, go with the Stillen.

Old 04-27-2005, 11:28 PM
i'm deciding between the two as well, and the Stillen i guess now according to BlackonBlackG35. the sound is actually what i'm most interested in. to some extent, i feel that the stock G35c sounds a bit too much like a riced out civic. i'm looking more for a 911 sound--not gonna happen, but you get what i mean. what kind of sound do the K&N, popcharger and stillen produce? again, not as concerned with performance or even volume, but the quality to the sound.
thx in advance.

Old 04-27-2005, 11:49 PM
is Stillen suppose to be better than popcharger?

Old 04-27-2005, 11:53 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
it costs twice as much, and the difference couldnt possibly be that major. its all personal preference.

Old 04-28-2005, 12:02 AM
A K&N filter will not make any appreciable performance gain.

Old 04-28-2005, 12:07 AM
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Sedan
Originally Posted by BlackonBlackG35
I've used the PopCharger and was very disappointed. It feels weaker in the lower rpm. Other people can confirm this also. I could really feel it accelerating from a dead stop.

Next I switched to the Stillen Hi Flo Box. With the Stillen, torque loss in the lower RPM is less noticeable. Also contrary to popular belief, The Stillen is a little louder than the PopCharger.

I believe the Z-tube+K&N is the best option but if really want to make your car louder, go with the Stillen.
Does this make two things I've said that you agree with?

Old 04-28-2005, 12:40 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by skeleton_cru
Does this make two things I've said that you agree with?
Haha...yeah, its a start....

Originally Posted by Ivory05G
A K&N filter will not make any appreciable performance gain.
Your right, but either the popcharger filter suck's or the stillen shroud really makes a difference.

I do a lot stop and go city driving and the popcharger just annoyed me. So I sold it on ebay and bought the stillen. Although its not as good as the Z-Tube+K&N, its not as bad as the popcharger.

Also some said sound is important, the popcharger and stillen sound similar but the stillen is a little bit louder.

Old 04-28-2005, 10:18 PM
Charter Member Florida G35 Club
I went with the K&N after hearing from several friends that the popcharger makes the G bog down when its hot out until you get the rpm's up. I wasn't crazy about the sound of the popcharger either.

Old 04-29-2005, 12:16 PM
gtr proto test driver
when you install the Z-tube and keep the stock box do you hear a sound differance or is it the JWT that gives you that cool sound

Old 04-29-2005, 12:30 PM
Charter Member Florida G35 Club
Popcharger is louder but the Z-tube/stock airbox provides a nice sound at WOT.

Old 04-29-2005, 05:22 PM
raises all-in
Thanks all for the replies.

I think I'm going with the K&N. I'm not concerned about sound, I prefer the stealthy look, and I DEFINITELY don't want even the slightest chance of losing low-end torque. Plus, it's cheaper.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Popcharger or K&N drop-in?