Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Weight reduction tips

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-12-2005, 06:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IMHO: If you are worried about weight reduction on a sports/luxury GT car, you should have bought a sports car in the first place.

Old 07-13-2005, 06:44 AM
EXACTLY. If you're concerned about weight that much, you should have just bought a 350z...Now sit back and ask yourselves why you paid an extra $10k for and Infiniti? So you could tear your beautiful cars apart and get rid of all the extra luxuries you opted for?

Old 07-13-2005, 02:38 PM
There are other cars that you could have looked at if you are very concerned about the power to weight ratio. eg. Lotus Elise, S2000, EVO 8 etc.

Old 07-13-2005, 05:05 PM
True, but I don't see a problem in modifications that don't alter the function one bit...for instance, the lightweight battery. I might have to pick one of those up soon.

Old 07-14-2005, 11:25 AM
Originally Posted by DrPJM1
IMHO: If you are worried about weight reduction on a sports/luxury GT car, you should have bought a sports car in the first place.
I dunno if I would consider it a luxury car.... When i think luxury I think like big automatic cars like a S500 or M45. When I sit in my car I don't feel luxurious at all, and when I look at it I don't see luxury. The suspension is hard as hell for a luxury car, and overall the car is small and basic inside. No real luxury in my opinion, but I love the way it looks. Much hotter than the Z I think.

Last edited by Nightmare; 07-14-2005 at 11:27 AM.
Old 07-14-2005, 12:55 PM
J-Dizzle
I agree with Hi-Standard, should've bought like a Civic hatch and threw in a K20 swap with a custom Turbo kit. Way better on power to weight ratio if you ask me and it's definitely a lot cheaper.

475 WHP in a car that weighs 2,200 lbs. should be a pretty convincing for most.

Last edited by Mad Paradox; 07-14-2005 at 12:58 PM.
Old 07-15-2005, 01:54 PM
Or maybe I needed a VQ along with a back row. So saving those, I can still shave the rest. Anyways, I know that Titanium Brake Kits save about 20-30 pounds in the front two corners and then 15 in the back two, but if rotrors are all that matter I'm sure that the rotors saves most of the unsprung weight. ZMI makes them, but I cant find them anymore. So I think the best way to go is the Ti Brakes, Lightweight Rims, Racing Seats, take out the back row(when racing. for the coupe which is what i have), take out the spare and parts, lightweight battery, and if uve got the cash then go for the cf hood and trunk. Also, I was wondering, that since I have a sun roof, if I could take out the glass and replace it with like a cf insert, (I never use it anyways)

Old 07-06-2006, 01:44 AM
I bought a black 2006 350Z MT and gave the G35 C AT to my son as he is going to college after this summer. The Z is lighter and faster, and the MT is much fun to drive.

Old 07-06-2006, 02:11 AM
Received 240 Likes on 196 Posts
Move the battery to the trunk.

Originally Posted by Nightmare
I dunno if I would consider it a luxury car.... When i think luxury I think like big automatic cars like a S500 or M45. When I sit in my car I don't feel luxurious at all, and when I look at it I don't see luxury. The suspension is hard as hell for a luxury car, and overall the car is small and basic inside. No real luxury in my opinion, but I love the way it looks. Much hotter than the Z I think.
We drive "Entry Level Luxury Sports Cars"... my friend likes to say that all cars in this class are, but they aren't...

Old 07-06-2006, 03:28 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Should've bought a Z if you were so serious about the weight... Why start with all of heavy things because of G being a luxury coupe with back seats when you could have just bought a lighter car to begin with?

Old 07-06-2006, 03:46 AM
Premier Member

I joined weighwatchers and loss 250 pounds and my car was a lot faster IMO...

Old 07-06-2006, 10:45 AM
All of these "should have bought a Z" replies should be ignored, for the most part. Afterall, many of us chose the G over the Z for good reasons... ...one of which is the backseat that is crucial to many (though probably used seldomly by most).

That doesn't mean that, as a G owner, a desire to drop some weight from the car is suddenly a crazy idea, just because it's an Infiniti luxury/GT

I think most people who ask about weight savings aren't planning to strip the interior or do anything too crazy that would devalue the G. The problem seems to come from the resulting replies where someone lists every possible weight reduction tip and then others chime in about how dumb it would be to strip the car (and how they should have just bought a Z )

Short of a race-prepped G, are there any G owners here running a stripped interior? Not likely, however, there are a lot of owners who wouldn't mind dropping some weight from their G... ...without gutting it.

There are areas where weight can be reduced without hacking the car to bits. Most of these areas wouldn't even be noticeable to the eye of the average person.

But when talking about the G, it would have been good to start with a hardtop, non-prem.-pkg. coupe. That's what I ordered, as once I decided on the G, I wanted the lightest 6MT G I could order.

Last edited by GT-Ron; 07-06-2006 at 10:52 AM.
Old 07-06-2006, 12:13 PM
Originally Posted by GT-Ron
All of these "should have bought a Z" replies should be ignored, for the most part. Afterall, many of us chose the G over the Z for good reasons... ...one of which is the backseat that is crucial to many (though probably used seldomly by most).

That doesn't mean that, as a G owner, a desire to drop some weight from the car is suddenly a crazy idea, just because it's an Infiniti luxury/GT

I think most people who ask about weight savings aren't planning to strip the interior or do anything too crazy that would devalue the G. The problem seems to come from the resulting replies where someone lists every possible weight reduction tip and then others chime in about how dumb it would be to strip the car (and how they should have just bought a Z )

Short of a race-prepped G, are there any G owners here running a stripped interior? Not likely, however, there are a lot of owners who wouldn't mind dropping some weight from their G... ...without gutting it.

There are areas where weight can be reduced without hacking the car to bits. Most of these areas wouldn't even be noticeable to the eye of the average person.

But when talking about the G, it would have been good to start with a hardtop, non-prem.-pkg. coupe. That's what I ordered, as once I decided on the G, I wanted the lightest 6MT G I could order.
The thread starter was talking about removing back seats to save weight. That's why I made the Z comment... I just don't see the point of getting G if you're going that far.

Old 07-06-2006, 12:29 PM
Fair enough. Removing it for anything more than a 1/4 mile run or a roadcourse wouldn't make a lot of sense.

As for the seats... ...I'd love to drop the weight, and I can do without the heaters, but I don't know about losing the adjustability of the electric seats. Granted, once set they should be fine, but I'm partial the the 'infinite' adjustability of the electric motor/track that let's me get just where I want. Leather isn't an issue, as I'd have anything aftermarket covered in matching leather.

Doesn't leave me with much more (than I'm willing to do) than:

wheels
flywheel (just need to install)
CF driveshaft

Nearly every mod I've added is lighter than the OEM piece, but that's not very much savings alone.

Last edited by GT-Ron; 07-06-2006 at 01:54 PM.
Old 08-20-2006, 03:27 PM
Originally Posted by GT-Ron

Well said. I just bought a base '06 6MT coupe with just trunk mat and splash guards because I wanted a light weight G. I didn't care much for the aero, premium, nav, and sunroof.
I will reduce weight from it but will not strip out the interior. I'll just remove spare tire and associated tools, floor mats, trunk mat, and purchase a light weight battery. That's it.
I would like to replace the OEM 19s rims with lightweight 17" rims which will reduce a lot of weight but that cost money.
However, OEM 19s look so damn good!!! And they're lightweight anyways so I'll just keem them.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Weight reduction tips