Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Lifetime Oil Filter

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-14-2005, 04:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lifetime Oil Filter

http://www.hopupracing.com/troilfiing35.html

Anyone use this or considered using this? I am going to be purchasing this soon. I tell you this would be a good investment because I have a similar oil filter on my motorcycle. So far it has paid for itself in the long run as far as maintenance. The site explains that the oil filter also adds Horsepower. I dont know how that works as I see it for in benefits in maintenance. Any Thoughts?

Old 06-16-2005, 02:50 AM
I really dont trust this kind of stuff

I mean, a filter is made to FILTER particles. These particles get trapped hence the filter needing to be replaced. So either this filter doesnt filter at all or it has some magic method to filter but not have any particulates trapped

Old 06-16-2005, 11:46 AM
a.k.a. RANDYS_G
Originally Posted by dwoloz
I really dont trust this kind of stuff

I mean, a filter is made to FILTER particles. These particles get trapped hence the filter needing to be replaced. So either this filter doesnt filter at all or it has some magic method to filter but not have any particulates trapped
the article says you remove it and clean the filter...kinda like a K&N air filter...and it extends the oil change life from 3000 miles to 7000...still, the price seems kinda steep!

Old 06-16-2005, 01:52 PM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
since you have to remove and clean anyway, what's a few extra bucks to buy a new filter... I didn't read the link but sounds like another gimme your money non-sense marketing scheme.

Old 06-16-2005, 03:42 PM
dunno, like I said, I was skeptacle at 1st when I bought a similar oil filter for my ZX. Given i change out my oil before and after track days. So within my 7k miles of street and (mostly) track riding on my ZX, i wouldve spent over $100 in oil filters alone. That's one scenario and a reason why it had already paid for itself. Since I also do Track Days with my G35, i treat the oiling in the same manner as my ZX, where I change the oil before and after, it's probably not needed but it's just racer antics and habits I have from racing motorcycles and it serves as good preventive maintenance becuase, by seeing what's in the filter can tell a good story about your car, ie. metal shavings, shrapnels and such. So in my case it would be worth it. In my, 22k I have changed the oil and oil filter 12 times. So in that 12 and buying a $10 K&N oil filter, I've spent $120. So buy the next 2 or 3 changes, it had already paid for itself. It's too bad this oil filter wasnt available at the time I purchased the car.

The filtering technology is tried and true in NASCAR, and in a AMA Racing. One may think it's a gimmick, I know it works, being backed up by major associations that uses the same technology.

Last edited by 636Racer; 06-16-2005 at 03:45 PM.
Old 06-16-2005, 07:31 PM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by 636Racer
dunno, like I said, I was skeptacle at 1st when I bought a similar oil filter for my ZX. Given i change out my oil before and after track days. So within my 7k miles of street and (mostly) track riding on my ZX, i wouldve spent over $100 in oil filters alone. That's one scenario and a reason why it had already paid for itself. Since I also do Track Days with my G35, i treat the oiling in the same manner as my ZX, where I change the oil before and after, it's probably not needed but it's just racer antics and habits I have from racing motorcycles and it serves as good preventive maintenance becuase, by seeing what's in the filter can tell a good story about your car, ie. metal shavings, shrapnels and such. So in my case it would be worth it. In my, 22k I have changed the oil and oil filter 12 times. So in that 12 and buying a $10 K&N oil filter, I've spent $120. So buy the next 2 or 3 changes, it had already paid for itself. It's too bad this oil filter wasnt available at the time I purchased the car.

The filtering technology is tried and true in NASCAR, and in a AMA Racing. One may think it's a gimmick, I know it works, being backed up by major associations that uses the same technology.
Given that many oil changes maybe it's worth it... The majority of G owners (even those that constantly chase performance w/Mods) probably don't change that often. I could be wrong, but I know I don't (and probably won't) change oil enough to make a difference. Thanks for the info though.

Old 06-17-2005, 10:18 PM
I'm a little skeptical of this. Are they saying that just because the oil is cleaner, it will not be affected by thermal breakdown? That's the main reason we change our oil, not the fact that it gets dirty. If it was just the contaminants, we would simply replace the filter and leave the oil in. This is why synthetic can recommend a longer change interval, not because synthetic "stays cleaner".

I'm wondering about some of the marketing comments also like:
Paper filters have a “Bypass” that opens at 12 lbs of pressure. Most motors idle at 11lbs of pressure. At 12 lbs, the bypass opens and filtering stops. All of the dirt and metals are then sent back into your motor. Paper filters only filter 10-20% of their actual life.
True, most factory filters (not all paper filters though) have a bypass. Even assuming that all bypasses "start" to open at 12 psi, they are not designed in a binary way. Some oil is always passing through the filter element, unless the element is totally clogged (which is the real reason why filters have a bypass). I wonder what would happen with the UltraFilter that doesn't have a bypass if it totally clogged? Anybody heard of the issue with the Volkswagen 1.8T motors? Not good!

Curt

Old 06-18-2005, 09:57 AM
Wow! This oil filter certainly seems impressive... almost too good to be true. Has anyone tested this filter?

While the claims for the ULTRA FILTER may be true, here are my initial thoughts.

Does it meet the manufacturer's warrantee requirements?

"ULTRA FILTER, filters your oil an absolute 35 micron with one pass... "

Possible I suspose.

"Adding performance parts to your vehicles engine creates more pressure in the oil filter, this causing your oil filter to swell and compress, damaging oil seals and putting large stress figures on your oil pump."

Possible? I don't see why this occurs, especially with the usual intake and exhaust mods. Also it seems to me that the small amount of oil required for a subercharger/turbocharger may slightly lower the oil pressure, not increase it.

"Average HP gains are 5-6. Also with the engine running more efficient, you should see an average of 1-2 mpg."

I don't understand how an oil filter can increase horsepower and gas mileage. Can anyone help me out?

Old 06-18-2005, 11:40 AM
Even if it does work like it says, who the hell is going to want to clean old black oil off of the inside of the filter. Also you would have to spend like an hour making sure the filter is absolutely clean of all particles (most of which you cant even see, but will hurt flow over time). Sound like a lot of work for someone lazy like me. I'm still recooperating from my header install 6 months ago.

Old 06-18-2005, 03:51 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
First you'd want to make sure it's dealer friendly. Then you must decide to spend $100 on one filter. Maybe.
I doubt the hp increase claim, and the 1-2 mpg increase, but hey if it saves in filters in the long run and it does a decent job, It could be a good investment.
C.

Old 06-25-2005, 02:21 AM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Sounds like the Turbonater has a new product.

Old 06-25-2005, 02:15 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I can't imagine that it would be pleasant to clean! And HP claims from an oil filter? Does this mean that if you by-passed the filter altogether, that you'd see even more gains?

Maybe someone has to drill out the filter media of a stock filter and do a couple of dyno runs!

And don't forget to pour a bit of fine emery powder in there as well. It'll help "hone" the cylinder walls for faster break-in of new engines, and increased hp!

(j/k, BTW. Don't do it, and of course, I'm not responsible for any increased perception of power in your engine...or not )

Old 06-25-2005, 09:33 PM
you could drive a fedex truck thru 35 microns. If I'm not mistaken, Mobil1 and K&N are on the order of 12 microns.

I also dont buy the HP gains. Not sure the oil pump is *that* parasitic.

I'm also agree it would be very hard to clean *correctly*.

Old 06-26-2005, 05:59 PM
Lifetime oil filter?

I'm guessing it will be a short life for your motor LOL

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Lifetime Oil Filter