Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Riddle me this...resetting ECU vs Driving hard

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-15-2005, 09:32 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I noticed my car on 5 runs ran with only a .4 mph difference in trap time. Good observation DaveB.

Old 07-21-2005, 11:57 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Well, it's been a week since I reset my ECU. Finally the sweet growl of my VQ came back as did the power loss I experienced after doing the reset. I was worried there for a while because it took an awfully long time for everything to come back to the way it was. In my car, the ECU reset was no good. The lack of induction noise, the lack of power, and the lack of responsiveness were all to like when I'd reset my 96 Maxima's ECU. It did the same exaxt thing.

Old 07-22-2005, 12:36 AM
EZZ
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveB
Well, it's been a week since I reset my ECU. Finally the sweet growl of my VQ came back as did the power loss I experienced after doing the reset. I was worried there for a while because it took an awfully long time for everything to come back to the way it was. In my car, the ECU reset was no good. The lack of induction noise, the lack of power, and the lack of responsiveness were all to like when I'd reset my 96 Maxima's ECU. It did the same exaxt thing.
Whoa...you have a bizarro G35.

Old 07-22-2005, 12:46 AM
Florida G35 Club
Originally Posted by EZZ
Go Figure.
I bet know one person here that pays people to do there install understands what going on here. I understand what my VQ is doing and resets may have there place when you need to get back to basics. I have done all the basic hi PO" installs and resets have done nothing. IM done on my mods and without a doubt I know this car is making more power. What is told here does not work!! After what I would call a big install, the reset did not work. It took drive time for what I believe for the "ECM"
To do its job. She is running great and my bet is it will get better without a reset.
Sorry Guys Resets do not work. I would love to here from a expert.
Prove me wronge. All 20 year olds do not respond.
The Mafia"

Last edited by GEE PASTA; 07-22-2005 at 12:51 AM.
Old 07-22-2005, 08:18 AM
Premier Member

Originally Posted by EZZ
I agree. Everyone else gains from it, but he didn't. hmm,

Old 07-22-2005, 09:03 AM
Walking The Fine Line...

Received 128 Likes on 79 Posts
This thread is so entertaining.

Guys offer their instances (including me) of how this miracle cure did nothing except move their G in the wrong direction or leave it sitting status quo, and people still insist it's the end-all to performance upgrades in the G.

Rather than admit it doesn't work, now people who see no effect are deemed as having a mutant car or not having been a member here long enough to know what they're supposed to believe. As if membership here holds any weight except here.

It reminds of the whack-jobs on the news that supposedly see the face of Jesus or Mary in a mud puddle or in a rust stain in the toilet or something. Some statue in their house is crying or bleeding or some crazy crap. The crying faithful line up and weep at the sight of...............a rust stain.

Does not believing in the ECU reset invalidate your position as a G owner or something? Does non-belief cause a horsepower loss in your car? Do you have to be a member for "X" number of months before your opinion holds water, or is your credibility based on post count?

Everyone, as stated above, certainly does not buy into this fairy-tale. Saying it in this forum, independent of post count or membership month, doesn't make it so. Maybe it defines it for some, but I prefer to believe what I see right in front of my own two eyes.

I see a rust stain.

Too funny.

Old 07-22-2005, 10:58 AM
EZZ
Originally Posted by GeeWillikers
This thread is so entertaining.

Guys offer their instances (including me) of how this miracle cure did nothing except move their G in the wrong direction or leave it sitting status quo, and people still insist it's the end-all to performance upgrades in the G.

Rather than admit it doesn't work, now people who see no effect are deemed as having a mutant car or not having been a member here long enough to know what they're supposed to believe. As if membership here holds any weight except here.

It reminds of the whack-jobs on the news that supposedly see the face of Jesus or Mary in a mud puddle or in a rust stain in the toilet or something. Some statue in their house is crying or bleeding or some crazy crap. The crying faithful line up and weep at the sight of...............a rust stain.

Does not believing in the ECU reset invalidate your position as a G owner or something? Does non-belief cause a horsepower loss in your car? Do you have to be a member for "X" number of months before your opinion holds water, or is your credibility based on post count?

Everyone, as stated above, certainly does not buy into this fairy-tale. Saying it in this forum, independent of post count or membership month, doesn't make it so. Maybe it defines it for some, but I prefer to believe what I see right in front of my own two eyes.

I see a rust stain.

Too funny.
I believe there are as many people that believe in the ECU reset as those who do not. I simply do not know. I think it did firm up my shifts a little but not much else. BTW, this reminds me of the grounding wire argument...some for, some against...most really don't know

Old 07-22-2005, 11:44 AM
Walking The Fine Line...

Received 128 Likes on 79 Posts
I believe there are as many people that believe in the ECU reset as those who do not. I simply do not know.
Now that is something I can agree with.

Old 07-22-2005, 01:24 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by EZZ
I guess so.

I noticed nothing from the ECU reset other than less induction noise (IMO, a richer A/F) and lower overall power and response. The shift firmness increased slightly, but that's to be excepted on an adaptive automatic tranny like the G.

My G is also bizarre because according to this site the 03 models are suppose to be the slowest and least powerful yet the car goes 14.4s and most importantly it has trapspeeds that rivals 6MT G35s.

Who knows what the hell is wrong with my car

Old 07-22-2005, 01:46 PM
EZZ
Originally Posted by DaveB
I guess so.

I noticed nothing from the ECU reset other than less induction noise (IMO, a richer A/F) and lower overall power and response. The shift firmness increased slightly, but that's to be excepted on an adaptive automatic tranny like the G.

My G is also bizarre because according to this site the 03 models are suppose to be the slowest and least powerful yet the car goes 14.4s and most importantly it has trapspeeds that rivals 6MT G35s.

Who knows what the hell is wrong with my car
Dude...its your z-pipe...it removes 0.5 seconds in the 1/4th. If you added a vtec sticker, you'd break into the 13s.

Old 07-22-2005, 04:32 PM
Does anyone have the instructions to reset the ECU via the pedal method? I can't find them now.

Old 07-22-2005, 04:37 PM
Originally Posted by mpgxsvcd
Does anyone have the instructions to reset the ECU via the pedal method? I can't find them now.
Answered my own question.

G35 ECU Reset #1

1) Turn ignition on, wait 3 seconds
2) Push fully and release the gas pedal 5 times within 5 seconds
3) Wait 7 secs, fully push gas pedal and hold for 10 seconds until the CES light starts to blink
4) Release gas pedal (you are in diagnostic test mode 2)
5) Press and hold gas pedal for more than 10 seconds. Release pedal.
6) The CES light will continue to blink
7) Turn ignition off. Restart car.

https://g35driver.com/forums/faq-diy/6538-ecu-resets.html

Old 05-07-2009, 11:39 PM
I had my mechanic tell me to do the same. I had my cam sensor fail on me which threw off the timing. I was getting the P0012 error. Had the cam sensor replaced. Afterwards my 2nd and 3rd gear were useless. Dead with me going pedal to the floor. I thought the shop had f*d up my car royally. SO I went to my mechanic. From what I understand the ECU retains information based on driving to max out performance and fuel economy. After my sensor failed the car had no pick up. I unplugged the battery and turned on the my headlights which pools all resources to power them. After a couple hours I connected the battery and the car began to run much better. It was still goofy footed in 1st and 3rd gear but after 50 or so miles the ECU relearns how to map air/fuel ratios. It does work. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying this is a performance mod. But if the car picks up a bad habit in term of timing, a/f, it will need to be reset.

Originally Posted by GeeWillikers
Not trying to be a dick, but a known fact based on what? What people here say? By the seat-of-the-pants meter?

I'm still looking for a reputable source to confirm ths function of the ECU and explain how it works.

It seems that if this were true, a PC could learn your habits and perform better when performing the tasks you perform most often, just as it's claimed that this car can adapt to individual driving habits and be 'pre-disposed' to serve.

I find it more likely that the ECU adjusts on the fly to suit driving style just as in any other car. If the ECU requires a reset to 'clear' its memory, then why does a 'hard driver' get better gas mileage if they choose to drive conservatively? Why does my gas mileage decrease if I run my car harder? I didn't reset my ECU - it adapts to my driving style automatically.

As for better performance after a ECU reset after adding mods, it makes a little more sense, although I would imagine the addition of an intake, exhaust, plenum spacer, or whatever will be felt immediately (albeit a limited increase hp increase) regardless of an ECU reset.

If anyone can direct me to 'proof' for lack of a better word, I'm very anxious to read how it works..

Old 05-08-2009, 07:15 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
Congratulations on reviving a 4 year old thread.

We at GDriver are proud to announce that we hereby award you the prestigious and utterly useless title of "GDriver Noob Of The Day." This distinctive award is proudly bestowed upon those of you who ask ridiculous questions (see my sig), rehash topics that have been discussed millions of times throughout this millennium, or for any number of examples of foolish and silly quests for knowledge that are preceded by extreme bouts of laziness.

Enjoy your newfound notoriety for it will last exactly 24 hours and then be bequeathed to some other unfortunate noob that fulfills the strict guidelines we have set forth.

J/K man. This topic HAS been beaten to death, but I applaud you for taking the time to search. I was just reading through that thread on Wed. Welcome to the forum, I think you'll like it a lot.

Old 05-09-2009, 07:18 PM
I noticed the date after I had posted it. Regardless. If I can post something that will help the next guy, I'll do it. I was searching for this kind of information for days across a bunch of forums and no one had suggested it.