Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Independent Fog light Control

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-08-2005 | 11:06 PM
|
Banned
Independent Fog light Control

Has anyone been able to come up with a way to use the factory fog light switch to turn on the fog lights without having the headlights on?

I've read a few posts about people using external switchs, or even their parking lights, but I haven't heard of anyone using the actual switch itself.

Old 10-10-2005 | 06:24 PM
|
Banned
Does anyone have any interest in this at all?

Old 10-10-2005 | 08:34 PM
I would be interested in this.

Old 10-11-2005 | 01:07 AM
Administrator
I might be, if it would turn off the DRLs (CDN cars) when you turn the fog-lights on!

It makes sense that the lower/sharper cut-off of the fog-light would work better without the glare/bounce-back caused by the mainbeam and/or DRL, at least in real fog or snow conditions.

Old 10-11-2005 | 03:11 PM
i've been wondering about this for the longest time, but for the front turn blinkers for the 04 sedan.....iow, have them on with ignition on and they still function as turn blinkers.....

Old 10-11-2005 | 03:14 PM
FGC's official flip flopper
Kevin....you know I'd be interested in it. I have enjoyed all your other convenience mods so far...

Old 10-11-2005 | 11:04 PM
How would this work with the automatic headlights?

Old 10-11-2005 | 11:20 PM
I have not gotten into the wiring yet of my G35 (just bought it). However all that is need is to run the lead that goes to the fog lights (typically it is run off the hot wire in the low beams) and run it to the hot wire in the parking lights. Then if you have your parking lights on you can switch your fogs on or off with the in car switch. Not even sure if I will do this mod becuase I am not a fan of the color of the fogs vs the normal headlights. Lighting upgrade needed for my taste maybe...

I have done this before on my Maxima, but had directions labeling the wires so it was much easier than having to find the correct wires to cut and splice together. (Color of wires might be the same from the Maxima to the G... possible...)

Disclaimer: You touch you wires and fry your car blame yourself

Last edited by Rival; 10-11-2005 at 11:29 PM.
Old 10-11-2005 | 11:42 PM
Originally Posted by Rival
Not even sure if I will do this mod becuase I am not a fan of the color of the fogs vs the normal headlights. Lighting upgrade needed for my taste maybe...
Hmmm... answer to my question at least....

https://g35driver.com/forums/interior-exterior/70043-highs-fogs.html

Old 10-12-2005 | 12:02 AM
|
Banned
I have not gotten into the wiring yet of my G35 (just bought it). However all that is need is to run the lead that goes to the fog lights (typically it is run off the hot wire in the low beams) and run it to the hot wire in the parking lights. Then if you have your parking lights on you can switch your fogs on or off with the in car switch. Not even sure if I will do this mod becuase I am not a fan of the color of the fogs vs the normal headlights. Lighting upgrade needed for my taste maybe...

I have done this before on my Maxima, but had directions labeling the wires so it was much easier than having to find the correct wires to cut and splice together. (Color of wires might be the same from the Maxima to the G... possible...)
Not even close to the same system. The fog light switch on the G35 is part of a matrix type input system to the BCM that consists of 5 outputs and 5 inputs that operate at 10ms steps. To 'pick' out the foglight switch from the multiplexed matrix will require a bit of work. Turning on the foglights themself is a piece of cake (using a relay).

Disclaimer: You touch you wires and fry your car blame yourself
haha, thats funny. I'm not sure there is a wire left on my car that hasn't been spliced in to yet

Old 10-12-2005 | 12:12 AM
Originally Posted by KPierson
Not even close to the same system. The fog light switch on the G35 is part of a matrix type input system to the BCM that consists of 5 outputs and 5 inputs that operate at 10ms steps. To 'pick' out the foglight switch from the multiplexed matrix will require a bit of work. Turning on the foglights themself is a piece of cake (using a relay).
Then sounds like a mod that I will wait for someone to go hunt down the right wires.... Any Infiniti techs around here? lol

Last edited by Rival; 10-12-2005 at 12:15 AM.
Old 10-12-2005 | 12:20 AM
|
Banned
Who needs an Infiniti tech?

My latest project:

http://www.kptechnologies.com/sunroof/sunroofvid.avi

Can you remotely open and close your windows AND your sunroof???

The matrix style switching makes it impossible to pick the 'right wires' because in this case there are five different signals on the wires we need. I can make the hardware necesarry to do the interface, I just need to see how much interest there is.

Old 10-12-2005 | 12:32 AM
i've been trying to mess with it for the longest time...

but the stupid wiring system goes from the switch, to the BCM, to the IPDM (correct abbv?), to the relay, and finally to the fog lights.. i only could get it working with the parking lights.. if you can get the signal from the parking to power up the relay of the fog lights using the fog light switch that would be great

if you can come up with something kevin, i'd buy it!

Old 10-16-2005 | 11:24 PM
|
Banned
I got it all working tonight!

I started on the project late Saturday night and by early Sunday morning I had a working prototype.

Sunday morning I installed the prototype in the car and it didn't work at all! After o'scoping my signal wires I found that the service manual was WRONG about the matrix timing (it was 5 times faster then stated!). I reconfigured my software and presto, I could independantly control a relay off of the fog light switch! The module itself was easy to install, Ign power, ground, Signal In, Signal Out, and my relay output. All the connections were made at the BCM in the drivers kick and I installed the relay right next to the module right above the fuse box. I ran my output from the relay through the factory grommet and in to the brake booster housing under the hood. I spliced in to the factory wiring in the brake booster houseing. All and all the install took my about an hour.

For more info check out: http://kptechnologies.com/forums/vie....php?p=442#442

Old 10-17-2005 | 12:01 AM
FGC's official flip flopper
Boy Kevin...that didn't you long to figure out at all. Good work!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Independent Fog light Control