Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Easy ECU Reset vrs battery disconnect

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-22-2003, 11:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Easy ECU Reset vrs battery disconnect

My G sedan has 11,000 miles on it and I've never reset the ECU. For 90% of my driving I've grannied it and driven very conservatively. So, I was very interested to see what kind of performance differences I'd see after resetting the ECU. 2 nights ago, I performed the Easy ECU Reset, as listed by gsedanman. After a couple tries, it worked as advertised (I had to bring a stopwatch in to get the timing right). I immediately went for a drive and didn't really notice anything different about the performance of the car in terms of acceleration or shifting. The next morning, I drove the car to work and, again, didn't notice anything unusual. Since I drove the car conservatively for 11,000 miles, I really figured I'd notice the change. I accelerated fast and drove fast and really gave myself ample opportunity to observe any changes. But, nothing. So, I decided that I'd compare the Easy ECU Reset with the battery disconnect method. Last night I did the full battery disconnect for 13 hours. I got in the car this morning and, after pulling out of my complex, I gave it a little gas. Honestly, the first thing that surprised me was how strongly I felt the seat pushing into my back as the car accelerated like it did when I was test-driving it just before I purchased it last October. The car rev'd higher before shifting (I have the automatic sedan), the shifts were crisper - it was just an entirely different experience. I don't want to give the impression that it now drives like I've got a supercharger on it or anything...these changes are more subtle than overt, but they're definitely there. I take a freeway on my way to work and was jockeying for position to get from the fast lane to the exit lane. There was an opening ahead of me and I floored it to make my move. The car dropped from 5th down to 3rd intead of its usual 4th and I was sent flying down the road. It's very very sweet.

I'm not sure if the Easy ECU Reset doesn't work, or doesn't work on my car, or maybe I did it incorrectly (though everything happened just like the procedure said it would), but I didn'r really notice any change. The battery disconnect resulted in an obvious change in performance - one that actually surprised me. I don't have anything other than the butt-dyno to go one, but my butt says disconnect!

-townsley-
2003 Brilliant Silver Premium Sedan

Old 07-22-2003, 01:03 PM
Re: Easy ECU Reset vrs battery disconnect

Yo Townsley

I agree with you and have been resetting for months. I thought some folks agreed with me a few weeks ago that the battery dis is the key. I did not get a reset from the easy reset procedure. I thought the board agreed that it only reset the emissions data and some other stuff but not the adaptive memory....Now it seems it's the accepted method....and am lost finding the thread i missed where everyone said it worked.

freshalloy is a good source - i'll head over there for a while.

I reset the battery yesterday and whammo - more power..if you dont notice then you did not reset right.

Old 07-22-2003, 01:36 PM
SouthernComfort Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I did the quick ECU reset just prior to installing Gordgee's 7 wire
grounding kit. I was astonished at the crispness of the transmission
and the quickness of the manual shifts in my 5AT. I assumed the
difference was the ECU reset....maybe it was just the grounding kit.
This gives more evidence to support the use of HyperGrounding kits.

2003 Twilight Blue Sedan, sunroof, leather, splashguards,
GG red 7 wire Hypergrounding kit, 350Z intake duct(soon),
K&N filter.

Old 07-22-2003, 01:58 PM

I recently installed a grounding kit (a gift from my wife - whatta babe) and did not do a reset as part of the installation. I really noticed the crisp, fast shifts after the grounding kit installation, but it was nothing to the sense of power I felt after the battery disconnect.

As a sidebar- does anyone know if it's possible to put a switch on the negative lead so we could just turn the battery off with a click rather than disconnect from the terminal?

-townsley-
2003 Brilliant Silver Premium Sedan

Old 07-22-2003, 02:10 PM

Isn't it sad we even have to disconnect the battery, POS ...stupid ECM design! I'm gonna pull this puppy as soon as I had Forced Induction this fall.
Nuff Said!

"Use the Forced Induction Luke!"
-Jedi
2003 G35C, 6MT, Navi, Black Obsidian/Graphite

Old 07-22-2003, 03:22 PM

I am going to do just that - this weekend. Instead of getting the ratchet out, just pop hood and flip a switch. If i get really wild i'll put a flip switch right on middle of dash next to clock...ha...like my dad put on our Plymouth Duster for cutting the fan on manually.

Old 07-23-2003, 04:20 AM

I did a quick lookup on googles and found a few links:
http://www.adshead.ca/gb/battery.html
http://www.odysseybatteries.com/hella.htm
http://www.nationalchevyassoc.com/te...g2.cfm/2/26/82
http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/r...rs/55-9025.htm

Yep, I am gonna do it too. One thing that I notieced also that If I leave the battery disconnected for 11 hours, the oomph is not quite there as if I were to do it for 12 hours.. strange...

-PratG35

Old 07-23-2003, 07:26 AM

Just to be sure of a reset, I did the battery disconnect for 13 hours.
13 is the lucky number!

2003 Twilight Blue Sedan 5AT, sunroof, leather,
splashguards, GG red 7 wire Hypergrounding kit, 350Z intake duct(soon), K&N filter.

Old 07-23-2003, 08:54 AM

I was told by a "reputable" aftermarket parts dealer that the factory ecu actually increased HP at certain intervals, 1600 and 5000 miles. If this is actually true, re-setting the ECU would actually hinder the cars performance by returning it to baseline.

I do not know if what I was told is true, nor have I reset my ECU; I just wanted to share what I had heard elsewhere.

Old 07-23-2003, 09:14 AM

That sound like a BS flag fluttering in the breeze.

2003 Twilight Blue Sedan 5AT, sunroof, leather,
splashguards, GG red 7 wire Hypergrounding kit, 350Z intake duct(soon), K&N filter.

Old 07-23-2003, 03:46 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

PratG35, The 12 hr. timeframe for batt. disconnect was recommended months and months ago by my dealership's technician. It was thought at the time that 12 hrs was sufficient and it might be. But interestingly, I read the ESM the other day and came accross the instruction to disconnect the battery for 24 hrs!-- go figure.
I expect 24 hrs is being a bit idealistic, and that 12 is satisfactory. I've heard some peeps say that 3 hrs or less is sufficient.
What is sufficient is debatable. All I can say is that, altho totally inconvenient, the ESM says 24 hrs. So there may be more "oomph" there beyond the 12 hr disconnect.

<font color=red>GSM</font color=red> <font color=black>Silverstone Coupe</font color=black>

Old 07-23-2003, 04:56 PM

Ok, I went ahead and got my cut off switch done. Took only 10 minutes. I also wrote up the how to do if you are interested. http://www.tuitatangkid.net/G35/ Sorry don't know how to make it a link. Total download is about 1.2 MB of pictures

Hope this helps.
-PratG35

Old 07-23-2003, 05:09 PM
Cactus Hugging Admin
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I can't seem to get your link to work-- is it the right addy? I dropped down to the root directory and it still wouldn't load... maybe just a temp problem.
G

2003.5 Black w/ Willow
Premium / Sport / Aero / Winter / Navi / Tint
Indianapolis, IN

Old 07-23-2003, 05:11 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Related to my previous post: Here's the info from the Coupe ESM that I referred to about data being erased in 24 hrs.
In this case it's OBD II emission data, that's referred to in this file I've posted from the ESM. I'm wondering if other data such as the Transmission Control Module learning algorithm is erased in a similar time frame.
In other words, it seems that it takes 24 hrs to completely erase all emission related data (see highlighted areas on jpegs), and trouble codes and the like, so does it take 24 hrs to completely erase data on the tranny learning algo?

<font color=red>GSM</font color=red> <font color=black>Silverstone Coupe</font color=black>

http://77688-OBD II, Emission info e...(close-up).jpg

Old 07-23-2003, 11:35 PM

I called my ISP and they said that the server hosting my website was down. It's up now. Takes a few seconds to load so be patient

Cheers,
-PratG35

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Easy ECU Reset vrs battery disconnect