Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

burn Motor Oil

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-28-2005, 04:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Your MREV killed your motor!!

Just kidding. Nice to hear that Infiniti is taking care of it, but not notice to hear that these engines have these problems!

Old 12-30-2005, 03:04 PM
Glad you got it taken care of. I've noticed that my oil consumption was less than 1/8 qt. the last 700 miles. I think part of it might have to do with break-in period for the rings and driving style.

Old 12-30-2005, 03:19 PM
Originally Posted by rocka_fellow
I put 6 quarts on the last oil change at 5000, at 8000 i have 1 quart left. I have to put more in because the CEL is on, and I notice the oil level is very low. I have to put 4 1/2 in to make the level up again.

My last oil change at 5000, when I open the oil pan, I only have a little left, I meant very little maybe less than a quart. Engine is running with strange noise when downshift at that time.

Just put a large pics of paper at the exhaust, put the gear in N, and step on the gas with the paper at the end of the tail pipe, my have a lot of black little dot on it, which is motor oil.

I have never heard of a modern engine needing replacement at 8K miles unless it was really abused. BTW, adding 6 qts. at oil change is overfilled. That can lead to blown seals and the oil being filled with air bubbles. Oil film should be solid on the bearings and cylinders, not filled with air. Air = bad lubricant. Please dont add 6 qts of oil to your new motor. A VQ is a terrible thing to waste.

Old 01-01-2006, 03:13 PM
had the same problem

Prior to my G35, I had a 2003 350Z Track. It lost 2-3 quarts before the first oil change. It got worse and by 8000 miles I was finally able to convince Nissan the car was losing oil (they performed the oil consumption test). The engine was replaced under warranty. Of course, when I picked up the car they had screwed up the transmission (wasn't aligned properly). In the end I dumped the car and bought a G35.

Bottom line, if you do a search you'll find several people that have had significant oil loss from their engines with no sign of oil burning or leaking. You will probably need a new engine.

Good luck.

Old 01-01-2006, 03:19 PM
Originally Posted by ballisticus
I have never heard of a modern engine needing replacement at 8K miles unless it was really abused. BTW, adding 6 qts. at oil change is overfilled. That can lead to blown seals and the oil being filled with air bubbles. Oil film should be solid on the bearings and cylinders, not filled with air. Air = bad lubricant. Please dont add 6 qts of oil to your new motor. A VQ is a terrible thing to waste.
SIX Quarts, are you kidding me? Fill with filter is FIVE. Could be the reason.

Lou

Old 01-02-2006, 06:31 PM
Originally Posted by ballisticus
Well, now you are hearing of a modern engine needing replacement at 8K WITHOUT ABUSE. In my 350Z I changed my oil at 1200 miles right after the break in period and noticed that only 2-3 quarts of oil came out. I filled it up with 5 quarts and continued to drive. Keep in mind that I totally babied the engine and never ran it hard. At 3000 miles the dealer changed the oil and again, the car had lost 2-3 quarts. They couldn't believe it and blamed me and said that I probably didn't put in 5 quarts at the 1200 mile oil change. They then started an oil consumption test and by the 8000 mile mark the car had lost about 4 quarts!!! What a piece of crap. Puzzled, the called Nissan North America who quickly told the dealer not to try to figure out the problem but to pull the motor and send it directly to the engineers at Nissan. They replaced the motor in 3 days and set me on my way. Of course, the morons at the dealer didn't line up the tranny to the engine using the guide rod so I wasn't even able to the the car out of first gear, so that had to get fixed next. Bottom line, the car was losing oil in the first 1200 miles and that was driving it at half throttle and never past 4000 rpm. My G35 has not had any problems yet but I wouldn't be surprised. Nissan's quality seems to be marginal at best. I bought the G because it was so beautiful, but I wish Toyota had made it.

Old 01-02-2006, 07:02 PM
Originally Posted by greggr35
I bought the G because it was so beautiful, but I wish Toyota had made it.
Ditto!

Old 01-02-2006, 10:06 PM
2700 miles into my 2nd oil change and the level was a hair above "L", it was at "F" when they did the oil chnage. I put oil in and will be bringing the car in for an oil chnage soon.Im going to mention this to the dealer.

Uhg.

Old 01-02-2006, 10:13 PM
anybody burning oil change the oil at 1,000 using full synthetic oil?

Old 01-03-2006, 10:19 AM
Originally Posted by conesweeper
anybody burning oil change the oil at 1,000 using full synthetic oil?
My second oil change was Mobile Synth 5w-30 and I lost oil. "F" at change and "L" 2700 miles later. I also lost oil on my first from the dealer, same %

Old 01-03-2006, 11:20 AM
Originally Posted by greggr35
Well, now you are hearing of a modern engine needing replacement at 8K WITHOUT ABUSE. In my 350Z I changed my oil at 1200 miles right after the break in period and noticed that only 2-3 quarts of oil came out. I filled it up with 5 quarts and continued to drive. Keep in mind that I totally babied the engine and never ran it hard. At 3000 miles the dealer changed the oil and again, the car had lost 2-3 quarts. They couldn't believe it and blamed me and said that I probably didn't put in 5 quarts at the 1200 mile oil change. They then started an oil consumption test and by the 8000 mile mark the car had lost about 4 quarts!!! What a piece of crap. Puzzled, the called Nissan North America who quickly told the dealer not to try to figure out the problem but to pull the motor and send it directly to the engineers at Nissan. They replaced the motor in 3 days and set me on my way. Of course, the morons at the dealer didn't line up the tranny to the engine using the guide rod so I wasn't even able to the the car out of first gear, so that had to get fixed next. Bottom line, the car was losing oil in the first 1200 miles and that was driving it at half throttle and never past 4000 rpm. My G35 has not had any problems yet but I wouldn't be surprised. Nissan's quality seems to be marginal at best. I bought the G because it was so beautiful, but I wish Toyota had made it.
At 200 miles, I ran mine WOT up to 80MPH, then let it cool for 2-3 minutes, then WOT again. Did this once a day during the breakin period. Changed to Mobil 1 5W/30 at 2200 miles. Now has 64K miles and uses about a qt. every 5K miles. Slow, baby breakin methods are not so good. Hit them hard and early. Just make sure it is up to operating temp and then let the motor cool down between WOT runs. Rings will seat nicely and oil use will be minimal for the life of the engine.

Old 01-03-2006, 11:21 AM
Oil Consumption

Same issue with my 05 6MT. I switched to 5W30 Mobil 1 at my first oil change (I do them myself). Second oil change, I noticed the engine had used oil but attributed it to a thirsty break in period. About 3000 miles later, the engine started clattering occasionally, sounding like valves. I brought it in to the dealer, but they were unable to get me in and scheduled for me to come in the next week. I went home to check the oil, and it did not register on the dipstick (the guy who designed the dipstick is a dipstick!). I added 3 qts to get it to midrange. I called the dealer and the service writer said it was normal!?!

Well this week I did another oil change and it was 2 qts low at 10.5k miles. I went back to the dealer last week and now they want to do an oil consumption test. Finally they are acknowledging the issue. I know this test will be time consuming but at least the problem is documented.

Isn't this the same engine they use in the Maxima ? I traded in my last Maxima of 4 straight on the G but never had problems like this.

Old 01-03-2006, 11:22 AM
BTW, did they ever say what the engineers at Nissan said about your engine? Very unusual.

Old 01-03-2006, 11:25 AM
Man, with oil consumption that high I would expect some blue smoke from the exhaust and even a SES light. The HC emissions must be terrible Is the tail pipe oily?

Old 01-04-2006, 12:31 AM
Originally Posted by lowrider
SIX Quarts, are you kidding me? Fill with filter is FIVE. Could be the reason.

Lou
ok fine, i know 6 qt sounds a lot, my first oil change is 1400 miles and from the receipt it said 5 quarts. On the second change on a local shop, there were almost no oil come out when the guy unbolt the oil pan, he fill up almost 6 just to make sure i have enough oil. But it still burn it all at 8300 and the CEL or the engine service soon light come on. I realize the engine sound different, it makes strange noise on every downshift. I dont drive my car hard at all, I set my shift light on 3k rmp and I usually shift before 4k rpm. There is no mod on the engine except the exhaust. Anyway, when I got the new engine, I will baby it, i wont put on anything until i pass the first oil change.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: burn Motor Oil