Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Possible Hydrolocked motor

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-03-2005, 01:29 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ive been in a crx when it got hydrolocked.. it was like 3 or 4 years ago when there was a huge rainstorm/monsoon type thing in new jersey.. it came out of no where.. my buddy made a right turn through a puddle that didnt look to big but ended up the water came up half way across the windsheild.. needless to say me and him had to get out and push the car up to a dry spot and sure enough.. it was hydro locked.. it was crazy! ill never forget that storm..

Old 12-03-2005, 02:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by G35_TX
This is not true. I have hydrolocked a VQ Maxima and let me tell you. It took no more than a pint of water to do it. And it was with the stock intake box. The car was not submerged. I was only in 8-12" of water in a neighborhood and enough got up the front end of the car somehow (was lowered) to get in the airbox. You do not need to submerge a filter to hydrolock a engine.

Interesting, I dont know what the suction power of a VQ is at near idle, but apparently it was enough to wreck my VQ!

Old 12-03-2005, 06:18 PM
Manufatured warrenty doesn't cover this but auto insurance does? Maybe when they pay out, you can sell the motor to boost ****** to go get a rebuild

Old 12-03-2005, 09:44 PM
Banned
you can save the motor , but you need to act fast . Drain the oil , pull the plugs , Squirt oil in the cyl. and turn it over . Ive sunk a boat before and was able to save the inboard straight 6 motor by doing just that

Old 12-03-2005, 10:57 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
This is not true. I have hydrolocked a VQ Maxima and let me tell you. It took no more than a pint of water to do it. And it was with the stock intake box. The car was not submerged. I was only in 8-12" of water in a neighborhood and enough got up the front end of the car somehow (was lowered) to get in the airbox. You do not need to submerge a filter to hydrolock a engine.
It's physically not possible. The engine, even at WOT, doesn't create enough vacuum to pull in a enough water to hydrolock the motor if there is any open area to the atmosphere in the intake. Sure, some water droplets might get in, but that's it. The engine is going to pull in the material with the least resistance. How do you think those AEM intake "bypass" valves work? If the filter become completely submerged in water, the additional vacuum created trying to lift the water column ends up opening the bypass valves therefore allowing to the motor to breath and stopping any lift of the water. Here's a simple test to prove this. Take a straw and put a tiny hole in the side of it and then try drinking your Coke normally. You'll get nothing, but air.

Also, of course it take hardly any water to hydrolock a motor. Have you seen how tiny the compression chamber is on the compression stroke? You're talking a few hundred CCs of water.

I find your hydrolock story highly suspect because you claim to have only gone through water that was only 8-12" high. Well, it makes no sense. The 95-99 Maxima intake duct is above the raditator near the top front portion of the hood. The intake tract is about 2.5" feet long including two resonator boxes and air filter that sits horizontal in the filter box. There is physically no way enough water got through this maze unless you basically ran the car into standing water and sent a wave of water over the hood, similiar to what paranormal described in the CRX story. I think that's what happened and you won't fess up to it. You seem hell bent on trying to prove everything I say is wrong. Take a look in the mirror, Russ.

Old 12-04-2005, 12:21 AM
Premier Member

Physically not possible. That doesn't explain HOW MY VQ got hydrolocked Dave. Water isn't compressible. You know this. It doesn't take any water hardly to hydrolock a engine. A dixie cup of water is all it takes.

Actually per the techs that worked on my car (they had 10 other Maximas in the shop for hydrolock cars at the time. Andi Barichi (if you remember him) also checked his intake after this happened. He had water in the bottom of his box through hard rain. It didn't take much to get water in the intakes.

But when you are driving through water, and its hitting the front end of the car .What happens? It's like moving a wall through water, where does the water go? It goes HIGHER UP THE WALL. Basically it did this in front of the radiator enough to where it went over the radiator support and into the intake track.

Look in the mirror? You need to end the insults and doubts. You sir have never experienced it yourself. You have no clue how water will get into the car. You weren't there either.

Originally Posted by DaveB
It's physically not possible. The engine, even at WOT, doesn't create enough vacuum to pull in a enough water to hydrolock the motor if there is any open area to the atmosphere in the intake. Sure, some water droplets might get in, but that's it. The engine is going to pull in the material with the least resistance. How do you think those AEM intake "bypass" valves work? If the filter become completely submerged in water, the additional vacuum created trying to lift the water column ends up opening the bypass valves therefore allowing to the motor to breath and stopping any lift of the water. Here's a simple test to prove this. Take a straw and put a tiny hole in the side of it and then try drinking your Coke normally. You'll get nothing, but air.

Also, of course it take hardly any water to hydrolock a motor. Have you seen how tiny the compression chamber is on the compression stroke? You're talking a few hundred CCs of water.

I find your hydrolock story highly suspect because you claim to have only gone through water that was only 8-12" high. Well, it makes no sense. The 95-99 Maxima intake duct is above the raditator near the top front portion of the hood. The intake tract is about 2.5" feet long including two resonator boxes and air filter that sits horizontal in the filter box. There is physically no way enough water got through this maze unless you basically ran the car into standing water and sent a wave of water over the hood, similiar to what paranormal described in the CRX story. I think that's what happened and you won't fess up to it. You seem hell bent on trying to prove everything I say is wrong. Take a look in the mirror, Russ.

Old 12-04-2005, 01:35 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Guys pardon me for harping on this subject with Russ, but we need to clear the air and get the facts straight about hydrolocking a motor and how it happens.

Physically not possible. That doesn't explain HOW MY VQ got hydrolocked Dave. Water isn't compressible. You know this. It doesn't take any water hardly to hydrolock a engine. A dixie cup of water is all it takes.

Actually per the techs that worked on my car (they had 10 other Maximas in the shop for hydrolock cars at the time. Andi Barichi (if you remember him) also checked his intake after this happened. He had water in the bottom of his box through hard rain. It didn't take much to get water in the intakes.

But when you are driving through water, and its hitting the front end of the car .What happens? It's like moving a wall through water, where does the water go? It goes HIGHER UP THE WALL. Basically it did this in front of the radiator enough to where it went over the radiator support and into the intake track.

Look in the mirror? You need to end the insults and doubts. You sir have never experienced it yourself. You have no clue how water will get into the car. You weren't there either.
Duh, water can't be compressed. The water accumulation in the airbox means nothing because due to the shape and design of the airbox, only a small amount of water (we're talking a maybe 20 CCs) could sit in the airbox floor. Anymore than that and the water in leak out at the foam seal where in the intake pipe sits. I've even seen a little water there before.

Even if water accumulated on the airbox floor, the engine could only pull in droplots of water and that water would be quickly evaporavated. It just doesn't start acculumating in the combustion chamber Yes, it takes less than a Dixie cup of water to hydrolock a motor, BUT you're forgetting that as the water is pulled in, it disperses to one of 6 cylinders therefore it takes a hell of a lot more water to be drawn in order to go to all these areas. That's why it takes a full column of water to hydrolock the motor. Yeah, there's probably 4000 times the amount of water needed to hydrolock the motor in the ingested water column, but that's the only way a sufficent amount of water will get into the engine to hydrolock it.

This is most likely what happened. A stream of water was ahead of you and you misjudged the depth. You slammed into the water pushing a quick wave of water over the hood. When that happened, a sufficent amount water dumped into the intake (about 1 gallon) and ended your motor's life. When you popped the hood to see what happened, a majority of the water that was ingested into the intake ended up leaking back out of the airbox and various other loose intake duct portions. This happened because once the motor seized, there was no more vacuum and the water fell backwardss through the intake. It's really the only way this could have happened.

Old 12-04-2005, 01:47 PM
Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
See if oil has "milky" appearance. It is sure sign of hydrolock-I've dealt with that myself.
I don't know where starter is located on G, but this part doesn't like water as well.

Old 12-04-2005, 02:28 PM
Premier Member

Only I wish that happened. Instead my belts squaling in curb height water, and the car died. Had it towed from the spot. Like I said, facts are facts. You have none and have not experienced a hydrolock motor to know what it takes to lock one up.

As usual DaveB, always argueing. You are not right. Give it up.

I am done here. 30 sec rule applies. Mr. Hypocrite is at it again (daveb).

Originally Posted by DaveB
Guys pardon me for harping on this subject with Russ, but we need to clear the air and get the facts straight about hydrolocking a motor and how it happens.

Duh, water can't be compressed. The water accumulation in the airbox means nothing because due to the shape and design of the airbox, only a small amount of water (we're talking a maybe 20 CCs) could sit in the airbox floor. Anymore than that and the water in leak out at the foam seal where in the intake pipe sits. I've even seen a little water there before.

Even if water accumulated on the airbox floor, the engine could only pull in droplots of water and that water would be quickly evaporavated. It just doesn't start acculumating in the combustion chamber Yes, it takes less than a Dixie cup of water to hydrolock a motor, BUT you're forgetting that as the water is pulled in, it disperses to one of 6 cylinders therefore it takes a hell of a lot more water to be drawn in order to go to all these areas. That's why it takes a full column of water to hydrolock the motor. Yeah, there's probably 4000 times the amount of water needed to hydrolock the motor in the ingested water column, but that's the only way a sufficent amount of water will get into the engine to hydrolock it.

This is most likely what happened. A stream of water was ahead of you and you misjudged the depth. You slammed into the water pushing a quick wave of water over the hood. When that happened, a sufficent amount water dumped into the intake (about 1 gallon) and ended your motor's life. When you popped the hood to see what happened, a majority of the water that was ingested into the intake ended up leaking back out of the airbox and various other loose intake duct portions. This happened because once the motor seized, there was no more vacuum and the water fell backwardss through the intake. It's really the only way this could have happened.

Old 12-07-2005, 04:26 PM
Update... the motor is hydrolocked... its gonna cost $14k to replace the longblock assembly. Damn it... Im glad I pay my car insurance! It covers the road hazzard.

Old 12-07-2005, 04:44 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by t3knokon
Update... the motor is hydrolocked... its gonna cost $14k to replace the longblock assembly. Damn it... Im glad I pay my car insurance! It covers the road hazzard.
Yikes, that is a bummer..... Did you say you have an intake?
g/l with the replacement and insurance.
C.

Old 12-07-2005, 05:21 PM
G'z 6MT
Originally Posted by jimmytango00
^ interested... what is it and how much ?

thanks
You can purchase on Ebay or internet.

Order according to tube size. 2.75" or 3"

AEM BYPASS VALVE FOR COLD AIR INTAKE

Last edited by G6MT; 12-07-2005 at 05:30 PM.
Old 12-07-2005, 05:36 PM
G'z 6MT
NOTE: Anyone purchasing a Bypass Valve for CAI should measure their tube dia. in order to get the right size.

Old 12-07-2005, 07:01 PM
Premier Member

Originally Posted by t3knokon
14k!! Omg, just short of totalling the car. My 98 Maxima VQ was only 7k for the short block as well.

Old 12-07-2005, 07:11 PM
Rated M

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Sorry to hear about the car. The good news is insurance will pay and you will have a new motor out of it. Good luck.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Possible Hydrolocked motor