Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Possible Hydrolocked motor

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-02-2005, 05:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Possible Hydrolocked motor

Hello all... Im bummed. I think i have misjudged a deep puddle and killed my motor. The engine wont crank over and I pulled the AFM and it was soaked with water which leads me to believe that water (large amount) may have entered the engine and killed it. What are my options?

Old 12-02-2005, 05:51 PM
AFM?? Do you mean MAF sensor?? If your car's stock I dont see why the dealer wouldnt fix this?? If not the dealer than insurance....???

Old 12-02-2005, 05:54 PM
I do have an Injen CAI, and yea my mistake MAF. How would insurace cover this, isnt the engine a wearable part?

Old 12-02-2005, 06:05 PM
jmX
Insurance covers engine damage from hydrolocking usually, assuming its from driving through water. It is considered an accident.

Old 12-02-2005, 06:14 PM
Can you fellas gimme some ideas on how to proceed? I have no idea for this particular situation. Im guessing take car to dealership, inspection, call insurance, etc?

Old 12-02-2005, 06:20 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You are better off not trying to crank it.

I'd probably get it to a dealer or good mechanic and have them pull everything off.....plenum.....take out plugs.....and see what it looks like.

It may not be damaged and dry out.

Old 12-02-2005, 06:22 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
wow what a BYTCH! Sorry bro. i have a CAI myself so i always avoid deep puddles take your CAI off and put the stock stuff on again ...call your dealer and see what they can do... if not try your insurance..

Old 12-02-2005, 06:25 PM
G'z 6MT
After all the engine issues are resolved, consider adding a Bypass to you CAI. It will prevent this from happening.

Again, Sorry bout your BAD Luck.

Old 12-02-2005, 06:32 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by G6MT
After all the engine issues are resolved, consider adding a Bypass to you CAI. It will prevent this from happening.

Again, Sorry bout your BAD Luck.

^ interested... what is it and how much ?

thanks

Old 12-02-2005, 06:42 PM
Rollin On Dubz
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Make sure you make your car back to stock before you take it to the dealer.

I remember one guy said he thought he hydrolocked his car, he just parked it on an uphill slant so all the water could spill out....and after 30 minutes it started right up.

Goodluck!

Old 12-02-2005, 06:49 PM
Hey, I just talked to my insurance and they will cover the "accident." If indeed it is a hydro-locked engine what is the cost to replace it?
Hey OLDVFRGuy, do you think there is a possibility of no damage? I was coasting throught the puddle/lake at a relatively low speed and the engine was at idle. The engine simply died and would not restart.

Old 12-03-2005, 12:07 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts
If you have to rebuild the engine, now would be a good time to consider forged internals and FI. ...thats if you are into that sort of thing.

Old 12-03-2005, 01:33 AM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
How deep was this "puddle"? The intake filter has to be completely submerged for the engine to be able to pull up any column of water. I'd imagine that even with the Injen CAI, the water you encountered had to be at least up to the lower edge of the headlight.

Other possibilities are you fried the MAF sensor (simple fix) or maybe fried the crank position sensor on the lower front of the motor. If either of these components fail, the engine may die and may or may not restart.

Old 12-03-2005, 05:57 AM
Hmmm interesting points DaveB. The water level was definately to the filter level but did not submerge it. I checked the filter first and noticed that there was water on it but no signs of any full submersion. However, there was significants amount of water on the lower regions of the engine bay. The belts and such had water in various places. Like I said the only indicator I have is that when I pulled the MAF there was water all over it. It was soaked. I had to literally shake it out. Thank you for your input. Here is the latest: Im goint to trailer the car to the dealership on Monday morning first thing. Tomorrow sometime I will reinstall the factory airbox. Im going to let Infiniti inspect and discern exactly what has failed. Depending on the cause, either I pay a small amount to replace parts, etc., or the motor is phucked and I pay nothing and auto insurance covers it. Thank you all for your help!

Old 12-03-2005, 01:12 PM
Premier Member

Originally Posted by DaveB
How deep was this "puddle"? The intake filter has to be completely submerged for the engine to be able to pull up any column of water. I'd imagine that even with the Injen CAI, the water you encountered had to be at least up to the lower edge of the headlight.

Other possibilities are you fried the MAF sensor (simple fix) or maybe fried the crank position sensor on the lower front of the motor. If either of these components fail, the engine may die and may or may not restart.

This is not true. I have hydrolocked a VQ Maxima and let me tell you. It took no more than a pint of water to do it. And it was with the stock intake box. The car was not submerged. I was only in 8-12" of water in a neighborhood and enough got up the front end of the car somehow (was lowered) to get in the airbox. You do not need to submerge a filter to hydrolock a engine.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Possible Hydrolocked motor