Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

5/16" Plenum Spacer and JWT Pop Charger/Z Tube Combo?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-24-2006, 11:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5/16" Plenum Spacer and JWT Pop Charger/Z Tube Combo?

I want to get a little extra power out of my 2004 G Coupe 5AT. The 5/16" Copper ISO Thermal Plenum Spacer and JWT Pop Charger/Z Tube Combo from what I've read seem to provide the best bang for the buck around $500. I live in Michigan where of course we DO GET SNOW, so do I really need the Copper version of the plenum spacer? What happens if I order the regular one?

What do you guys think?
Can you feel the power difference?
How much quicker are your 0-60 and ¼-mile times with the mods?

Would you do this mod again?

Old 02-24-2006, 02:58 PM
I will be doing these exact mods in a month or two. But no copper spacer, just the regular one.

Old 03-01-2006, 07:29 AM
Just installed pop charger and ztube. I dont notice any performance diff. but I am very happy with the sound. Spacer coming and I am expecting big from it.

Old 03-12-2006, 03:06 AM
All Good

Also just installed the pop charger and the z tube. Looking to add the Spacer; but can't decide between the 5/16" Copper ISO Thermal Plenum Sp and the Skunk2? Any help would be great!!

I really like the pop charger and i noticed a little bit of a change and a better sound..

Old 03-12-2006, 03:10 AM
ENVautoDetailing.com

Received 136 Likes on 92 Posts
no popcharger here but i have the weapon-R secret weapon intake and the 5/16 ISO spacer. I like it alot, and i would do it again. The sound alone from the combo is worth it. I can feel a little more power. It's a bit more responsive and powerful in the midrange.

dankstar- DO NOT get the skunk2 spacer. most everyone who got it has been less than happy with it. Do yourself a favor and spend the extra money on the MD spacer. You dont need the copper version if your in socal, the copper is for colder climates. If you want to hear my car just let me know and we can meet up.
-GP-

Old 03-13-2006, 03:13 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i have the mrev plus isothermal with z-tube and amsoil drop-in and it sounds way nicer than stock already.... here in norcal has been pretty much 55 deg F or less so i have the ccv opened.... even in idle when reving past 2500 rpm makes a deep and aggressive growl...

Old 03-16-2006, 01:59 PM
About the normal vs thermal spacer... maybe I have this wrong, but I was looking into it also, and the site said that the copper spacer keeps the intake cooler. But copper is a great conductor of heat, and so I'd think it would transfer the heat from the engine up into the intake, rather than isolate it and keep it cold.

I'm guessing that I'm totally misreading the advantage of the copper over the normal.

Old 03-16-2006, 10:51 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts
Yes. Copper is a fantastic conductor of heat. And that is the whole purpose and intent.

Its specifically to keep the plenum cool but keep the throttle body heated. If you drive in a really cold environment. (IE not So. Cal.) the copper only the throttle body heated. This keeps ice from building up on the throttle body butterfly valve and freezing it open or shut.

If you use the regular Iso Thermal with the CCV, you need to keep the CCV open when driving in cold weather. This in turn heats the entire plenum and not just the throttle body. Having the whole plenum heated reduces performance to that of the basic plenum spacer.

See the link in my signature below for a lot more Q and A on the subject.
Tony

Old 03-16-2006, 10:52 PM
Administrator
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by insz
About the normal vs thermal spacer... maybe I have this wrong, but I was looking into it also, and the site said that the copper spacer keeps the intake cooler. But copper is a great conductor of heat, and so I'd think it would transfer the heat from the engine up into the intake, rather than isolate it and keep it cold.

I'm guessing that I'm totally misreading the advantage of the copper over the normal.
The spacer is the same. Iso-thermal replaces a gasket with one that is less thermally conductive. The 'copper' is to re-route the coolant that normally heats the much of the upper plenum to direct heat more directly to the Throttle Body, so yes, it is a great conductor!

[Edit]Whoops, you beat me to it, Tony! You're explanation is of course more accurate than mine.

Old 03-17-2006, 04:02 PM
I got the MD MREV Plus first and it made a bit of power. Then with the addition of the JWT Popcharger/ztube combo it now pulls like a damn train! Unbelievable difference!!! Not bad for $775

Old 03-17-2006, 08:42 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts
Hahahaha!
A train! I've never heard that one before.

Right on. I'm glad you like it.