Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Beware Of Turbonetics

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-14-2006, 09:29 PM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am the shop that sold him the kit, I DID NOT INSTALL IT, but I did sell it to him. I have spoken with Reggie from turbonetics a bunch of times and he has not been helpful since we first got the kit missing parts. THE INSTRUCTIONS HE HAD WERE CORRECT AS HE HAS A 350Z, NOT A G35. Yes the car is fast as hell with this kit but the contruction is poor. I guess you get what you pay for. On the other hand I think the Greddy kit is far more superior as far as fitment is concerned and the APS twin is probably even better then that.

As far as I know MIAPLAYA is Reggie from T-netics and I can definitely say he's giving me serious SH*t about this clamp breaking, he just doesnt want to hear it. Its the final strw among a bunch of problems with this kit.

Old 03-16-2006, 01:56 PM
Miaplaya is not Reggie. MIAPLAYA doesn't even work for Turbonetics, but he knows the kit very well.

Reggie is blk180sx on my350z.

Old 03-16-2006, 11:21 PM
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
I was seriously leaning towards the TN kit because of customer service alone. Clamps breaking? No replacements? WTF?

Thanks for posting your experience - saved me from going the same route. I'll wait to hear the other side of the story, but it had better be good or else refusing to replace those clamps (or better yet choosing high quality parts) is gonna be costing TN a lot more than they bargained for (if you figure even 2% of the people viewing this thread were considering the TN kit).

Old 03-16-2006, 11:32 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by rcdash
I was seriously leaning towards the TN kit because of customer service alone. Clamps breaking? No replacements? WTF?

Thanks for posting your experience - saved me from going the same route. I'll wait to hear the other side of the story, but it had better be good or else refusing to replace those clamps (or better yet choosing high quality parts) is gonna be costing TN a lot more than they bargained for (if you figure even 2% of the people viewing this thread were considering the TN kit).
Some one just posted about the same response to a Vortech thread because some one wasnt happy with the company .
You can find simular threads about every FI kit out there . There will always be some one that isnt happy with the company they went with . TN has done nothing but bend over backwards to help people out with the problems . Every new kit ends up with bad parts or missing parts .

Old 03-17-2006, 01:18 PM
missing parts? who do they have packing these before shipping, minimum wage folks that don't give a rats @ss? it could happen to any company, so t/n is no exception........just don't get it, if they spend big $$ on r&d, what point is that if someone receives kit incomplete?

Old 03-17-2006, 01:23 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by klg35
missing parts? who do they have packing these before shipping, minimum wage folks that don't give a rats @ss? it could happen to any company, so t/n is no exception........just don't get it, if they spend big $$ on r&d, what point is that if someone receives kit incomplete?
APS spent tons on R&D . But they still let a dozen or so kits be shipped that had bad parts [acuators or some thing ] So are you going to tell people not to buy that kit because of it ???????? geeeeezzzzzz

Old 03-17-2006, 02:32 PM
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
The only real issue here is the response TN made to the shop. Mistakes happen - missing parts, defective parts, etc can be excused.

What was the reason for not replacing the clamp? I mean, if a clamp is custom to a kit, then I can understand why the owner of a kit might be at a loss if TN does not respond.

Now if you can go to AutoZone and pick up another clamp for $5, then this changes the picture a little. I wouldn't say the kit is poorly constructed because of that.

I guess I'm just waiting to hear the TN side of the story here...

Old 03-17-2006, 05:42 PM
"So are you going to tell people not to buy that kit because of it ???????? geeeeezzzzzz"

Just making a comment, so relax, not a statement for anyone to buy or not to buy.....
if you spend $5-6k for a kit, would you expect anything to be missing? or would you expect a complete kit as adverstised?

Old 03-17-2006, 07:19 PM
Turbonetics is junk, always has been always will. There wastegates cant control boost and there turbos blow early into there life. I always see problems with turbonetics stuff, Never will i buy anything from them.

Old 03-17-2006, 07:29 PM
haha SPEED FORCE RACING!

Old 03-17-2006, 07:34 PM
Florida G35 Club, General Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I really don't know where you guys are comming from but Reggie has been the most helpful guy I've ever dealt with. Everything I've asked of him he's been like "okay" no questions asked.

I asked for the relocate pipes and got it next day. I can understand your frustration with missing parts, but it really seems unlikely Reggie would treat anyone that way since the way he's treated me and some of the other guys has been, to say the least, one of the most hassle free things I've ever dealt with.

Old 03-17-2006, 08:35 PM
leakyZ I suggest you go ahead and pm Reggie (blk180sx) on my350z.com. Explain your situation a bit and he should take care of you. All parts of the kit are warrantied for a year after purchase.

As far as missing parts go for T'netics, I've taken a tour of their facility. The stock room is a separate dept from sales/cust service, the machine shop, and R&D. I agree that parts should not be missing, but if there are parts missing Reggie is quick to accomodate in my experience.

I'll say this, it seems all the mass produced kits have their share of negatives whether it's construction, completeness, cost, power delivery, reliability, lack of power, legality...etc. Do your homework and be prepared to deal with setbacks.

Old 03-18-2006, 02:14 AM
thinking out loud:
say i order a t/n s/t kit from vendor A and paid in full.........can i drive to t/n in simi valley and pick it up? reason being is, one, it's about 1 hour from me, and two, if any parts are missing, i can get them on the spot.......crazy or no?

Old 03-19-2006, 08:35 PM
Banned
yea, buy the kit from me and i'll have u pick it up there, shouldnt be a problem.

G35PM, Paul (LeakyZ) haad a conversation with reggie on the phone about this prior to posting this thread. Reggie really doesnt give a sh*t that the clamp is POS and did not want to send us one for free. He told us "You can special order it through your dealer" word for word.

Old 03-19-2006, 08:59 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by BlackStevo8
THIS WAS POSTED BY MY CUSTOMER ON G35DRIVER.COM HE HAS A 2003 350Z. I JUST THOUGHT IT SHOULD ALSO BE POSTED ON HERE AS ME AND HIM ARE BOTH EXTREMELY DISSAPOINTED WITH TURBONETICS AND THE PERSON WHO HANDLES THERE NISSAN TURBO KIT CUSTOMER SERVICE (REGGIE)

i recently bought a turbonetics turbo kit. In september to be exact. I was told not to buy the kit by several people as it was known to be manufactured poorly. I liked the setup of the kit though so went ahead and bought it anyway for $4600.00. Of course i had to buy several other things as well for the kit that you dont need but should have like a boost gauge for one and a 45 degree bend for the oil return as the straight one they give you barely clears the exhaust. When the kit came in to the loacal shop i ordered it from, i obviously went through the parts and checked them against the parts list that comes with the kit. The kit was missing 2 intercooler pipes!! :headshake: off all things there are only like 5 how do you miss 2!?! and it was missing 3 couplings 6 clamps and a small bag of hardware. i mean at least i got the turbo. so then i call turbonetics and they tell me to call my shop so i do that and they start asking for pictures and stuff like i stole these couplings and pipes. if i was gonna get something for free i would have went for the bov or something i could sell. I get all my stuff finally and then i opt to have a shop install the kit instead of myself so if anything goes wrong well its on them not me. the shop guy calls me and tells me to come down apparently the kit doesnt fit well in some spots and a bolt they say is on the bottom of the ac pump isnt there. so i go down and yes on their picture in their book their is a bolt that isnt on my car, why? i dont know and niether do they. of course turbonetics wants pictures as always. now the kit after some modifications is on my car all is well for about 1500 miles then my wastegate recirculating tube breaks away from the flange at the flex section. i take it to the shop he rigs it on and says "get a new one its not safe to drive like this." I call my loacal shop and they call turbonetics and guess what?? "WE NEED PICTURES" so i get the damn picks and after about a week and a half i get my piece. of course little do i know it will break again in the same spot in 2200 miles. this time i have a performance shop make me a new one that is right and hey with 7500 miles and counting its still there. so the other problem with the kit is that the damn v band clamps are made like ****!! they leak, i tighten, they leak, i tighten, they break. so i have had 3 break so far usually the "V" seperates from the actual clamp and jiggles aroud while it leaks. so now i want a new clamp for the one that cant be fixed and are you ready for this...........turbonetics WONT give me a clamp! a clamp!! A CLAMP! 5000 dollar kit i cant get a clamp? ill send them the old one i dont care. They probably would rather PICTURES!!!! anyway if you are thinking of buying this kit just be ready to pay a little extra for the install and custom recirculating pipe and the extra v-band clamps and def. def. dont expect help from the motherland CAUSE IT AINT COMING WITHOUT PICTURES> :rolf2: sincerely, an unhappy consumer

FEW THINGS I'D LIKE TO CLARIFY ALSO:

Again, he has a 2003 350z
He spoke to Reggie prior to posting this thread

All in all, the kit had the following problems:

Didnt fit right
clamps fell apart
exhaust piping (SS my a*s) is rusting (O yea, Reggie says this is beacuse of where we live, but I have TopSpeed test pipes and they've been on 3 cars, no rusting??? i've also had an evo and tsi awd in the same geographical area with SS exhausts and they never rusted???)
Recirculation tube for wastegate broke twice
The kit was missing parts (intercooler pipe and conectors)
The reflash it came with put the car at a 12.5:1 ratio on 93 octane (thast real safe)

Hopefully Paul (leakyZ) will post up on here the other things, cuz they were a few other problems.

Sounds a lot like YOU are the problem here. With over 50+ owners here and none of them experiencing fitment issues even non-shops and members that installed it THEMSELVES you aren't saying much about your ability as a shop. Furthermore as I stated on the other board who exactly said anything about pictures. I talked to Reggie this weekend about exactly this post. He's never even heard of you. Its too bad your customer had to experience your incompetence first hand. I'll let the 50+ other Turbonetics owners here speak to their own fitment on the kit and those who have worked with REggie I'm sure will be happy to post about their experience with him which 100% contradicts your waste of bandwith that is a post.

MIAPLAYA
View Public Profile
Send a private message to MIAPLAYA
Find More Posts by MIAPLAYA
Add MIAPLAYA to Your Buddy List

Today, 07:49 PM #5
zman1910

iTrader: (2) WOW....whats the deal with the pictures? Is this the same company that gave another guy all new piping bc he wrecked his car and it was covered under their 1 year policy...

Somehow I suspect there was more to this story on your friends or shops behalf

Here is a reply to you about your post on My350Z

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Beware Of Turbonetics