Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

My SEDAN has now got the TechnoSquare ECU

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-05-2003, 01:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My SEDAN has now got the TechnoSquare ECU

Hey guys, here it is, as promised. I got the ECU in at TechnoSquare today.

A full day (10am-5pm) of tuning, testing, and dynoing. I am sorry but I will not be able to post the dyno chart today, as my scanner is broken. Although a picture IS worth a thousand words, I will have to resort to the latter type of explanation for the said reason.

What was done?

1) The mixture was adjusted to the optimal for entire range to 7100rpm (our new redline).
2) The redline as mentioned is set to 7100 rpm.
3) When in full auto mode on the tranny, with the pedal floored, the shifts still take place at 6500 as before (as this is done by the tranny's ECU and not the main ECU). However, in sequential shift mode, the engine can be taken all the way to 7100 without hitting the fuel cutoff.

My impressions (i.e. butt dyno, etc.)

1) Awesome!!!!! The engine DEFINITELY AND UNDENIABLY feels much nimbler. Do not expect it pull like one with a super/turbo charger, but for [seemingly] simple ECU tweak (in reality nothing but) the gain is definitely felt outright.
2) The tach needle definitely moves faster (it just races!, jumps!) from ~4000 rpm to redline (7100). Feels great!

Objective findings - BOSCH dyno (scanned image to come soon).

1) Because I have an auto tranny, the dyno is a little erroneous (at least the BOSH dyno). Take this statement with a grain of salt, as I know little about them.
2) For the same reason(I think), the dyno was run from 4000-7000 rpm.
3) There is a gain (at the wheels of course) of approximately 15-18 HP. This number approaches 20+ near redline (6200-7000rpm). This is very high, compared to TS's experiments on the 350Z, and the G35C. The trace differences before/after ECU upgrade on these cars were much narrower.
4) The traces before 5000 rpm show ver tiny gains. Explanation of that: not very much can be done to improve the HP output below 5000 as the knock sensor governs the engine timings (cams and sparks). But passed this point, the gains realy hit!
5). My impressions are consistent with the dyno. The gain is felt at the high end of the rpm range

Overall, fuel maps were all adjusted for the perfect and most optimum settings. Now the car is fully able to take advantage of the higher octane gasoline. Can't wait to try that Unocal 100 octane stuff for $5.45 /gallon (which can be found here in L.A.). Will keep you posted on how that works out.

This upgrade is definitely worth it!

Gurgen

Fire away with the questions guys!

UPDATE: Will be going back there tomorrow to retune the ECU for the Crawford Plenum I just installed and the Injen CAI

2003.0 G35 5AT Sedan Aero/Sport
<font color=blue>TechoSquare ECU</font color=blue>
Injen CAI
Crawford Plenum
Crawford High-Flow Cats
22" Magnaflow Resonator
Eibach Pro Kit
Cusco Sway Bars (soon)

Old 09-05-2003, 02:29 AM
Re: My SEDAN has now got the TechnoSquare ECU

Wow...great work. How does it work if you need to bring the car back to the dealership or whatever? There is no way to reprogram, so how would that work? Can't wait to see the dyno chart. Good job and keep up the mods.

It's still a G thang!!

Old 09-05-2003, 02:38 AM

Rumble,

I think you mean if ou need to get warranty work done at the dealer?

two things:

1) it CAN very easily be flashed back to the original progarm that you had on your car (they will keep it on file in their computers)
2) this ECU program is not like those other piggyback programs. The dealer has NO CHANCE IN HELL of finding out that your ECU has been tuned. The header codes in the program stay the same. Just the key vaklues have been changed within it. So, no worries at all. No codes or anything will show up on their ODBII readers, etc.

Gurgen

Injen CAI
Crawford Plenum
Crawford High-Flow Cats
22" Magnaflow Resonator
Eibach Pro Kit
Cusco Sway Bars (soon)

Old 09-05-2003, 02:43 AM

15~18hp gain? and 20+ near redline?! dayam!!!! those are some really really high gains!

Friends don't let friends drive stock

Old 09-05-2003, 02:48 AM

Poster: culmination
Subject: Re: My SEDAN has now got the TechnoSquare ECU

15~18hp gain? and 20+ near redline?! dayam!!!! those are some really really high gains!

Friends don't let friends drive stock

YEP. I think so! I guess you do too.. Hey culminations, wait till I tune the ECU for the Injen CAI and the plenum. Woohoo!!!!

Can we have some more opinions on the gains guys. Is it it just us here that think that these gains are good.?

Gurgen

Injen CAI
Crawford Plenum
Crawford High-Flow Cats
22" Magnaflow Resonator
Eibach Pro Kit
Cusco Sway Bars (soon)

Old 09-05-2003, 03:42 AM
mtn
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What I really want to find out is how much can mods produce more power in the lower rpms. Since I have a an automatic and I spend more time in the lower rpms I would definitely want to find ways to increase the low rpm power. Thanks for keeping us informed about Techno ecu!

Old 09-05-2003, 07:40 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have a 6MT sedan, and i just got my ECU today too. i was hesitant to really mash the pedal because at idle, i can hear from my exhaust a small, but noticible burp burp every once in awhile. when i rev my engine, i hear a strange noice...maybe knocking, but im not sure. going to take it to TS to get it fine tuned because this is merely a beta version, but i cant wait to see the results on the dyno.

G35S 6MT
K&N FAI
Technosquare ECU
6-wire ground kit
Quantum tint
Custom sunshade

Old 09-05-2003, 11:27 AM
Received 35 Likes on 12 Posts

PLEASE,..................................I BEG you! Make them make the dyno test show a MINIMUM rev range that STARTS at LEAST 1.5K, then of course til 7.1K. Please oh please make'm do that.

Very gratefull for what you've posted thus far.

Ivry 6mt sed
Crawford Pleneum
Injen CAI
22" resonator
Cusco sway bars
350Z springs&struts
Enkei RPM2

Old 09-05-2003, 05:48 PM

2 Questions:

1) If I already have mods (Injen CAI, UR Pulley, Grounding Kit) will I have to send in my ECU more than once?

2) When can I get it!!! I need this bad!

'03 AT Sedan | Brilliant Silver | Willow Leather | Sport | Premium | Aerokit w/Spoiler | Nav

Old 09-05-2003, 08:39 PM

I have Borla exhaust, crawford plenum, 350z tube, stillen hi flow box and grounding kit. I left the ecu to be last for that particualr reason, I want them to tune it for my setup.

Old 09-05-2003, 11:47 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

aha, the elusive 20 hp difference between the Sedan and Coupe. (give or take). Kudos bro, and to TS.
One question: I was under the impression that with the upgrade, you didn't have to fine tune the ECU every time a mod was added. Do you have to get it 'fine tuned' every time you make a mod, or will it automaticly recognize the mod and up the hp?
Perhaps the 'fine tuning' is to optimize the settings and not necessary.

<font color=red>GSM</font color=red> <font color=black>Silverstone Coupe</font color=black>

Old 09-06-2003, 01:07 AM

Man so many questions, so little time. Will try to answer them all:

mtn:
Not sure I can answer that question. What I am going to do is get the 'standard' DynoJet dyno. Now of course I cannot undo all my mods (look at my sig below for my most up to date list), but maybe one of you can provide a dyno of a stock sedan. This is understandably not the most scientific way of doing it, but at least will give us a baseline withing ~3% error rate. This will give us an idea of the low end power development.

nuttyprof:
not sure what to say. I had knocking in my engine after i put the Injen CAI AND the crawford plenum on. The mixture was too lean (see my summary comments in THIS post below).

lead_foot:
Thanks to our experiments of as early as THIS MORNING, you are in LUCK (lead_foot)! We did some wideband oxygen testing (see below) and have the VERY accurate measurements for the Crawford (and thus the corresponding program). When you send the ECU in, tell them to give you the program for the crawford plenum. My car is running ABSOLUTELY WILDDDDDD from this morning. Just amazing. Going to put some 100 octane tomorrow (for $5.45/gallon) and see what happens!

Gsedanman:
Here is my understanding: The ECU will adapt to your mods. But according to Todashi (the programmer wizard - a genius by the way!) the Crawford will probably need some tuning because of the SIGNIFICANT nature of the mod (a LOT of air is let in). Now take that with a grain of salt. First, this is in contrast to Doug Crawford's findings, as his Z runs 12.5 air/fuel without an ECU mod (but he does have Z, not a G35S - keep in mind). Second, we did wideband testing with an O2 sensor in the tail pipe, not upstream of the cats (which may NOT AS accurate). Now, I have got the Crawford hi-flow cats and had a muffler shop weld on an O2 sensor upstream of the cat. I will be going back next week (probably Monday) to get the more accurate air/fuel measurements. So stand by for more accurate readings.
My $0.02 on the last couple of sentences: We had to lean down the mixture of the stock ECU to get back up to 12.5. After this, with the tuned ECU, I installed the Crawford, and came up lean (low 14's). THe reason that I think Doug is getting a 12.5 with the stock ECU is because he did not lean the mixture in the first place, and the plenum basically did the leaning. Now, why get the ECU then if you have the plenum, right? Wrong. You still don't get the benefit of the aggressive timings that contribute GREATLY to the performance gain. And Doug has a Z, not a g35 Sedan, so we are taling apples and oranges. Of course you definitely need the ECU if you don't have the plenum to get the gains.
But yeah, gsedanman, these "fine tunings" are not necessary but give you that extra finesse!!! Why not get them if we have the maps for all of them! I am sure that they will flash you ECU again if you get the plenum down the line. THis way you have the satisfaction and the piece of mind that your engine WORKS EXACTLY LIKE IT SHOULD with your mods, as if they came on the car from the Nissan factory (even better!).

Summary comments:

For all my comments above, TS will be glad to tweak the ECU program if you are not happy with it (don;t quote me on that, double check with them before). But they did tell me, that if a new version of the ecu comes out, you would get it free of charge.
What generally remains constant is the timings info. The air/fuel ratio is the only one to be adjusted for the mods. The timings stay constant. Incidentally, they are the Z timings. Our sedans develop as much HP/torque at the crank as the Z, and not a stock one, a TS ECU-tuned one!

<font color=blue>THE SEDAN LIVES!</font color=blue>

<font color=blue>TechoSquare ECU tuned for the plenum/intake combo</font color=blue>
Injen CAI
Crawford Plenum
Crawford High-Flow Cats
22" Magnaflow Resonator
Eibach Pro Kit
Cusco Sway Bars (soon)

Old 09-06-2003, 04:06 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Gurgenpb, Thanks for taking the time to explain. My Crawford is on it's way here so I'm really interested in that mod in relation to the ecu upgrade. You've answered my q's.

<font color=red>GSM</font color=red> <font color=black>Silverstone Coupe</font color=black>

Old 09-10-2003, 09:09 AM

Since I'm really new to the G35 thing....Where do you buy all this stuff? (links please) I live in NC so getting someone with a clue on how to fine tune this stuff will be difficult. Plenty of BMW shops but I don't know of any Infiniti. Thanks in advance.

Old 09-10-2003, 01:26 PM
Alumni****

-cliverman

for the plenum and ecu, you can order them from strictlyz, our site's sponsor..
http://www.strictlyz.com

for more information on them, you can check out their respective sites:

plenum
http://www.crawfordzcar.com

ecu
http://www.technosquareinc.com

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: My SEDAN has now got the TechnoSquare ECU