Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

What's the best Upgrades to do to the G35

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-23-2006, 07:12 AM
Received 240 Likes on 196 Posts
Originally Posted by ATL_Red_G35
1. Handling
2. More handling
3. Learning How to drive better
4. Power
5. Tuning.

What good is a car if you have buttload of power but can't put them down right? It's only going to cause you accident. Don't take my #3 as an insult. It's an honest suggestion. Regardless how invincible you think you are, you're still not good enough. I speak from experience.
+1. The G is fast stock, but the suspension and chassis can be greatly improved... even if you can drive like Michael Schumaker, your car is only as fast as it can corner... and to help with that would be at least struts, and tires, a rear sway bar (struts, tires and rear sway bar being the higher priority here...), tie bars, strut bars, and other chassis reinforcement bars... a good cage could replace most, if not all of them (the chassis can never be too stiff, although the suspension can be). Springs are really optional, although for optimal performance, you want springs with a spring rate matched to your sway bars and struts...
Sorry to say this, but I had an EP3 Civic hatchback (with lots of chassis reinforcements and one piece coilovers) that would smoke most cars up in the mountains... Yes, the G will smoke that car in straight-line acceleration, but a stock G sport suspension will never take the turns at the speeds the Civic did...

But just had to add this in - the best bang for the buck mod for the motor would definately be the MREV and tune.

Last edited by dofu; 04-23-2006 at 07:31 AM.
Old 04-23-2006, 08:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I too am an owner of a IS250 and a G35c....and the IS250 handles very well but I think comparing the two (stock to stock) would be like comparing apples with oranges. I think putting the two in the same cornering situations the IS250 would handle very well but again your not putting much stress on the suspensions because of the inability to harness much power. Now if you were to increase the IS's power to, lets say, as much output as the G35 I can guarantee the IS will not stick as well as the g35. Yes, power isn't everything but comparing how two cars handle, IMO, I think its somewhat important to factor in power.

Old 04-23-2006, 11:53 AM
Intake and exhaust work. The intake work could be manifold, plenum, etc. Let the motor breath better and it will perform better. If you autocross or open track then do suspension, but in all honesty with the power you will gain from intake/exhaust you won't need suspension work to make it grab. You might spin in first a bit, but that is it. I am running 275 BFG rears and only spin a bit in first, after that I hook. Plus if this is a street car you would have to be pushing it very hard to out work the suspension and if you are doing that you are driving like an idiot on the road.

Old 04-26-2006, 02:22 AM
Originally Posted by Serengettisandg
If you autocross or open track then do suspension, but in all honesty with the power you will gain from intake/exhaust you won't need suspension work to make it grab. Plus if this is a street car you would have to be pushing it very hard to out work the suspension and if you are doing that you are driving like an idiot on the road.
We disagree, here. Enhance your suspension, and the car really comes alive. It's like night and day. Driving home from your installation will shock you. You would never dream of such an improvement! And you don't have to drive like an idiot to derive benefit from an upgraded suspension. In fact, adding an upgraded suspension significantly increases your performance envelope. For example, your car can corner faster without your having to drive like an idiot. It's the guy without an improved suspension --behind you-- who may need to drive like an idiot to attempt to keep up with you. All the benefits of a new suspension manifest themselves differently depending on road conditions, speed, load, etc., but it's [mostly] all good.

Springs will lower your car, lowering its center of gravity. (Use heavy-duty shocks to complement new, stiffer springs.) Sway bars will reduce body roll. Camber and toe arms will provide greater adjustability than your stock pieces. New tires and wheels will give you a bigger contact patch with the road, allowing you to brake faster and corner harder... more safely. A differential will let you put the power to the ground better, especially in the wet. This helps in the corners, too. And brakes... well, you know.

Once these upgrades are in place, you're ready to add power. And I agree: allow the engine to breath better from intake to exhaust, and you will notice another quantum leap in performance!

Have fun with it. Let us know what you decide to do.

Old 04-26-2006, 02:24 AM
dude are you a fukin moron?

Originally Posted by ATL_Red_G35
You realy don't know anything do you?

1. Handling
2. More handling
3. Learning How to drive better
4. Power
5. Tuning.

What good is a car if you have buttload of power but can't put them down right? It's only going to cause you accident. Don't take my #3 as an insult. It's an honest suggestion. Regardless how invincible you think you are, you're still not good enough. I speak from experience.

Last but not least: What's your budget? Searching around the forum can really help
u honestly sound like an idiot, and in so many ways! RX

Old 04-26-2006, 03:06 AM
sway bars & BBK then FI

Old 04-26-2006, 04:30 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by G-thirty-five
how can u possibly say the IS250 handles better than a stock G35. I've never driven a G with a standard suspension package (mine is sport-tuned), but I have driven an IS350.You can't push the lexus at all because you can't turn the VDC off (or whatever Lexus calls it). whenever you really try to see what it can do, the computer shuts you down!! I call bullsh!t on that claim!!!
Thats what pissed me off in his statement.

Old 04-26-2006, 05:51 PM
To ATL_Red_G35

Okay your taking this way too seriosly I 'm just trying to get everyones opinion not get a lecture on how to modify a car. I know that if I do any mods to the car that it changes all the dynmaics. The main thing to answer your question I'm looknig for is power, the handling part I got I all ready know what I'll do with the suspension, to give me better handling and good control of the car. I also know I'll need bigger and better brakes I'm actually checking out baer brakes as they came out with a few new ones that look really good. So just give me your opinion on which will be more cost effective and the best route to go, thats all really didn't want to start an argument from a simple question.

Old 04-26-2006, 06:33 PM
^Just get a turbo.

Old 04-27-2006, 05:11 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
lokiG35 - I appologized for my first post, in case you didn't read my other two long posts. I didn't mean to lecture nor want to argue with anyone. Since you didn't make it clear on what you wanted to do, I thought that you want to start from stock. All I did was giving you my personal experience. That's all. How you do it is up to you

G-thirty-five and Klubbheads - The IS250 and IS350 handle totaly different. The IS250 has much less power, but handling better than the IS350. I compared a stock IS250 to my stock 03 G35C, NOT the IS350 to the G35C. Also, there is a way to turn off their Traction control mode for track, dyno, skids, etc. testing. It's just not simple as a switch like our G35C. See more below.

mrjay6mt - You have a very solid point. That's what make the IS250 handle better than the IS350 and the G35C. The IS350 handling isn't as good as the G35 because the heavier front, less balanced weight distribution. I tried to test both cars (IS250 and G35C) doing corners, turns, entry speed, exiting point, and lateral G Force. After couple different runs and data logs, the IS250's result came out to be better. I didn't said the IS250 is better because just like you stated, it's like comparing orange to apple. There are so many things I don't like in the IS250. And of course, I love my G a lot more. I was simply using my recorded results to show that a lesser HP can can outhandle a higher HP car, that's all. After the small suspension upgrade, my G35C tops out the IS250. I gotta admit, the G really response well to suspension mods. I can't wait to do more to mine.

Old 04-27-2006, 05:20 AM
^ as u can see most of my mods are done on my suspension. With just $400 spent on my suspension it's a night and day difference over the stock. The important thing that the car has to have is balance which G35 has with its weight distribution that is the reason that it responds to suspension mods very well. But unfortunately many people dont care about the suspension. All they want is power and more power.

Old 04-28-2006, 12:34 AM
ATL....than buddy I must agree with...

Old 04-28-2006, 12:54 AM
ATL_Red_G35 knows what hes talking about.

Old 06-01-2006, 01:03 AM
Location: From CT, live in Southern VA...SoVA doesnt sound as good as NoVA
Not to be a dick rider, but ATL knows whats good... I never thought about any of that... Good looks on the advice and knowledge

Old 06-01-2006, 02:34 PM
I decided on the Turbo and posted a new thread its below with the build I'm looking a

https://g35driver.com/forums/florida-g-club/100568-i-put-together-build-up.html

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What's the best Upgrades to do to the G35