Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

What's the best Upgrades to do to the G35

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-17-2006, 08:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question What's the best Upgrades to do to the G35

I'm not sure of what route to go with my G35 coupe if I should use the stock engine and mod it with a super charger or go the route of turbos or get really creative and do an engine swap with either Q45 or for the new Skyline GTR coming out in 2007. So Come on guys give me your input.

P.S. I drive a 2006 MT. I don't want to use an NOS setup

Old 04-17-2006, 08:31 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You realy don't know anything do you?

1. Handling
2. More handling
3. Learning How to drive better
4. Power
5. Tuning.

What good is a car if you have buttload of power but can't put them down right? It's only going to cause you accident. Don't take my #3 as an insult. It's an honest suggestion. Regardless how invincible you think you are, you're still not good enough. I speak from experience.

Last but not least: What's your budget? Searching around the forum can really help

Old 04-17-2006, 09:10 PM
Florida G35 Club
Originally Posted by ATL_Red_G35
You realy don't know anything do you?

1. Handling
2. More handling
3. Learning How to drive better
4. Power
5. Tuning.

What good is a car if you have buttload of power but can't put them down right? It's only going to cause you accident. Don't take my #3 as an insult. It's an honest suggestion. Regardless how invincible you think you are, you're still not good enough. I speak from experience.

Last but not least: What's your budget? Searching around the forum can really help
Dude! you sound like a RED NECK, he is not racing a tractor is he?

Last edited by GEE PASTA; 04-17-2006 at 09:36 PM.
Old 04-17-2006, 10:40 PM
Originally Posted by GEE PASTA
Dude! you sound like a RED NECK, he is not racing a tractor is he?
I may sound harsh, and I appologize for that. I was just speaking from experience.

I like the G35C, it's nice and faster 50% of the cars out there, no doubt, but it doesn't handle that well. It's like controlling an elephant compared to my AutoX H22 Accord. It couldn't even compete with my IS250 stock to stock.

The car is fast. But what helps in reality is how to handle it. More than 50% of the time, he won't see the powerband above 4K unless he forces it to, which is kinda pointless to me.

Power isn't everything. I have a car, and been into cars, with less power and best the G at track many many time, (not 1/4 mile run).

He bought the car to enjoy it. Doing something where he can tell the difference and have fun driving it, is what I suggest. He can boost it and has 350+whp. And the car is still understeer, can't handle low speed turns. At the track, or even on the corners of the street, if he sees a cheapo Civic or S14, and tries to catch up to it but can't, since he won't be able to get the power up there, the boost won't kick in. He'll be locked at low speed corners, etc., while the Civic or S14 have the best suspension setup and can easily zip through the track like it's nothing.

I bet it's suck loosing like that huh? I know, I've been in the scene for too long. Been there, done that, got whooped, got embarassed, and learned my lesson hard.

Learning how to drive and control the vehicle is also the most important thing. You can have a beast but don't know how to control it. I've seen people, who drove my car, and handled it the way I thought it'd never be possible. I never thought my car would go that fast. The only way I thought that I can get that fast is with turbo and power. Guess what? I was wrong. I drove in a more power car with the best setupts (power, handling, etc.), and still loose to my stock car, driven by an experience driver.

Ask any guys who's been to the track with a private instructor and let the instructor drive their car. It's a world of difference. My point is, don't get running shoes before you can walk. I too, still have a lot to learn.

btw, FYI, I'm 100% Vietnamese. I may sound like a red neck, I may sound harsh, ut it's all for his goods.

He can rice out his car for all I care: blue lights, 10000000K HID kit, etc., stickers, etc. and still has his car handles poorly. The guy asked for suggestion. And I'm here giving mine, base on my experience.

Last edited by ATL_Red_G35; 04-17-2006 at 10:43 PM.
Old 04-17-2006, 11:03 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
I may sound harsh, and I appologize for that. I was just speaking from experience.

I like the G35C, it's nice and faster 50% of the cars out there, no doubt, but it doesn't handle that well. It's like controlling an elephant compared to my AutoX H22 Accord. It couldn't even compete with my IS250 stock to stock.
Dude u must be out of ur mind! LOL!

Anytime in next 5 years if u show up in california, I will school u in the canyons. Yes school u. Because saying that is250 handles better than the coupe or even the sedan proves that u dont have any experience in cars what so ever except in civics and dodge neons.

Old 04-17-2006, 11:37 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hmmm . . . Sounds like someone here needs to learn how to truly drive a rear wheel driven car, let alone a G35.

Old 04-18-2006, 12:00 AM
THE BATMOBILE
Turbo!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-18-2006, 09:09 AM
Originally Posted by Klubbheads
Dude u must be out of ur mind! LOL!

Anytime in next 5 years if u show up in california, I will school u in the canyons. Yes school u. Because saying that is250 handles better than the coupe or even the sedan proves that u dont have any experience in cars what so ever except in civics and dodge neons.
I hope that you can read my post more carefully and please try to understand what I'm saying.

1. Stock to Stock - My IS250 bests my G35C
2. Modified to Stock - My AutoX All Motor H22 Accord beats my stock G35C
3. Modified to Modified - With minor upgrade, my G35C beats the IS, and come very close to the H22 Accord.

By modified, I mean handling wise.

Thinking low of FWD cars (civic, etc) and grouping them together shows that all you think is your mighty G35C. Think again. Every car has its own pro and con. I've seen ignorance AWD owners got beaten by them lil civics that you look down upon so many time. I'm too, a victim. I loose to many of those professional drivers on their fwd cars so many times that I can't even keep counts.

If you're saying that you're going to school me, then I have no doubt that you can. In my post, I said that I STILL HAVE A LOT to learn and improve on. I'm not all that mighty and invincible like you think you are. I just got my G35C on January. Of course, I still have a lot to learn about that car, and get used to it.

By comparing its track times to my other cars', it's a lil unfair since I'm not used to the car yet. With my other cars - H22 Accord, S14, 95TT Supra, IS300 - all modified for track, and my stock IS250, it's unfair since I'm used to them more. My entry speeds, exiting points, and timings are all different. By the way, I'm not the only one who said that the IS or the Accord handles better than the Stock G35C. Even my track instructor said so. I think that he must be out of his mind to. Of course, I can't handle my G35C to its limit like my instructor, isn't that what I said earlier?

The G35C is a nice car, but out of the box, it's not perfect. That's why many people agree that it responds very well to suspension mods. With a minor sway bar upgrade, its handling improves dramatically. A track coilover setup with new wheels and tires can change its behavior totally. Since its balance distributed evenly and closely, any suspension mods can improve it a lot more.

I hope you can see that my opnion, based on my actual experience, is NOT biased. I've own many other cars, and played with them. And of course, I won't be stubborn and said that my car is thest since it's a RWD car. That's why, now, i still own a fwd car and have fun driving it.

lokiG35 asked for suggestions. I spent time, giving him mine, and shown him my experience. He's the one to make the call on what to do. What have you done beside ridiculing my own personal experience? Oh, I'm sorry, I forgot. You're better than me since you have more money, having the G35C longer than me, and been to the site much longer. I should know my place better. After all, I'm only a n00b on G35Driver.

andy2434 - You're right, I need to learn, and I admitted to it before your post. I know what pride it is to own a nice rwd car and got beat, badly, by them nosy fwd cars on the track. It's very embarrasing. But, just like my instructor said: "If you keep your mind narrowed, you will never improve. Learn from others. See their techniques of handling a totally different vehicle, compare to yours and see what are you missing."

lokiG35 - Congrat on getting the G, good luck and have fun playing with it. Having fun is the key, and learning process helps.

Last edited by ATL_Red_G35; 04-18-2006 at 09:28 AM.
Old 04-18-2006, 06:50 PM
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
ATL -> sounds like good advice to me...

Old 04-21-2006, 06:47 AM
I hope that you can read my post more carefully and please try to understand what I'm saying.

3. Modified to Modified - With minor upgrade, my G35C beats the IS, and come very close to the H22 Accord.

Thinking low of FWD cars (civic, etc) and grouping them together shows that all you think is your mighty G35C. Think again. Every car has its own pro and con. I've seen ignorance AWD owners got beaten by them lil civics that you look down upon so many time. I'm too, a victim. I loose to many of those professional drivers on their fwd cars so many times that I can't even keep counts.

If you're saying that you're going to school me, then I have no doubt that you can. In my post, I said that I STILL HAVE A LOT to learn and improve on. I'm not all that mighty and invincible like you think you are. I just got my G35C on January. Of course, I still have a lot to learn about that car, and get used to it.

By comparing its track times to my other cars', it's a lil unfair since I'm not used to the car yet. With my other cars - H22 Accord, S14, 95TT Supra, IS300 - all modified for track, and my stock IS250, it's unfair since I'm used to them more. My entry speeds, exiting points, and timings are all different. By the way, I'm not the only one who said that the IS or the Accord handles better than the Stock G35C. Even my track instructor said so. I think that he must be out of his mind to. Of course, I can't handle my G35C to its limit like my instructor, isn't that what I said earlier?

The G35C is a nice car, but out of the box, it's not perfect. That's why many people agree that it responds very well to suspension mods. With a minor sway bar upgrade, its handling improves dramatically. A track coilover setup with new wheels and tires can change its behavior totally. Since its balance distributed evenly and closely, any suspension mods can improve it a lot more.

I hope you can see that my opnion, based on my actual experience, is NOT biased. I've own many other cars, and played with them. And of course, I won't be stubborn and said that my car is thest since it's a RWD car. That's why, now, i still own a fwd car and have fun driving it.

lokiG35 asked for suggestions. I spent time, giving him mine, and shown him my experience. He's the one to make the call on what to do. What have you done beside ridiculing my own personal experience? Oh, I'm sorry, I forgot. You're better than me since you have more money, having the G35C longer than me, and been to the site much longer. I should know my place better. After all, I'm only a n00b on G35Driver.

andy2434 - You're right, I need to learn, and I admitted to it before your post. I know what pride it is to own a nice rwd car and got beat, badly, by them nosy fwd cars on the track. It's very embarrasing. But, just like my instructor said: "If you keep your mind narrowed, you will never improve. Learn from others. See their techniques of handling a totally different vehicle, compare to yours and see what are you missing."

lokiG35 - Congrat on getting the G, good luck and have fun playing with it. Having fun is the key, and learning process helps.

ATL - Thanks for sharing and being open minded. I really like to read posts like this. I truly believe that is what forums are all about. Sharing and learning from others. You know what they say "Opinions are like a$$holes, everyone has one." Too bad we have too many of one and not enough of the other.

Old 04-21-2006, 04:04 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

My whole point of the post was that the IS250 does not handle as well as the G35 sedan or coupe. Is it easier to drive? Yes.
FYI: I dont drive a G35 coupe. And owning the car or being on this forum has nothing to do with my response. I have no idea what u have done to your IS250 suspension wise. I was comparing the handling stock for stock. U can make freakin hyunday handle like a cart by taking all the **** out and reinforcing the whole chassis.

Me, personally, I can not push a 330 or even an M3 as hard as i can my car. THe reason I am not used to it.

ANYWAY dont take to the heart just expressing my opinion.

Old 04-21-2006, 04:21 PM
atl... you made some awesome points... i agree... people dont usualy realize the importance of SUSPENSION and BRAKEING.... probably the two most important mods.... esepcialy if you are doing autox. I used to have a 93 civic si totaly gutted that i did auto x racing in.

As far as other mods....some people just want to feel the g's and dont care about churns... cant knock on what people want to feel...

As far as driving.. id say the most important things for someone to learn is WEIGHT DISTRIBUTION while driving...which correlates to enter and exiting all your apexs at the right time.. bla bla bla...

I just thought it was funny that your main autox car is the h22 which is really heavy on the front end...not very good for auto x... I think that engine is like 250lbs heavier than the b16's....

anyway i thought you had some really good points..

f

Old 04-22-2006, 02:32 PM
Originally Posted by filipm
atl... you made some awesome points... i agree... people dont usualy realize the importance of SUSPENSION and BRAKEING.... probably the two most important mods.... esepcialy if you are doing autox. I used to have a 93 civic si totaly gutted that i did auto x racing in.

As far as other mods....some people just want to feel the g's and dont care about churns... cant knock on what people want to feel...

As far as driving.. id say the most important things for someone to learn is WEIGHT DISTRIBUTION while driving...which correlates to enter and exiting all your apexs at the right time.. bla bla bla...

I just thought it was funny that your main autox car is the h22 which is really heavy on the front end...not very good for auto x... I think that engine is like 250lbs heavier than the b16's....

anyway i thought you had some really good points..

f
I agree with the weight distribution concept. I used to autocross a miata. I removed/cut out everything that didn't make the car run or drive. This made it really light, but the weight distribution was all out of wack. Hell, I had to add back around 72 lbs in different locations just to make the car feel right for me. Other people could have added less weight or even more. I think that the balance of a race car should be setup for the driver. There isn't any specific way or rule to make your car go fast. It should be setup for you and you alone (unless you are sharing the car with another driver - bad idea if you want to do go without having to tune your car everytime you race it). A supsension upgrade might be the ticket for one driver and horsepower for another for the same car. The best knownledge is through trial and error. But, these forums help cut down on some needless tuning time. I know I have learned a lot from just reading multiple threads on the same idea or concept. Then, take the common idea or result and apply it. Sometime it works, sometimes not. Thats the fun part for me, learning.

Old 04-22-2006, 11:52 PM
Originally Posted by lokiG35
I'm not sure of what route to go with my G35 coupe. So come on guys give me your input.
I've modified a few cars in my lifetime, including my 5AT G35s, which I have driven since July 2002. I took delivery of the car right off the lot with max performance tires and light, forged, aftermarket wheels installed. Front and rear swaybars, stiff lowering springs, and adjustable shocks were added soon thereafter, with front adjustable A-arms and rear camber & toe arms thrown into the mix for good measure. Big brake kits for both front and rear are on there, now. A Quaife ATB differential helps me put the power down, with a few additional ponies provided courtesy of a Stillen intake & cat-back exhaust system. (I love the sound, too.)

Put me in the twisties against many kinds of cars, and even motorcycles, and they cannot keep up without great effort. Meanwhile, my car carves through there with no fuss, no tire slip, and very little body roll. When I need to lose a tailgater, just give me a curvey stretch of road: Poof! No more tailgater. In a straight line, I can be beaten, because I can't bring myself to compete with reckless abandon on city streets. If some young kid crashed and burned while racing me, I'd feel responsible. No, I *would be* responsible.

I've had other G35 drivers posture, as if to compete with me with their stockers. But once they notice the lower stance of my vehicle, see my massive 14-1/4" rotors up front and the 255/40 tires out back, and hear the rumble of my SS exhaust, suddenly they seem to lose interest. About the only guys who peck at me any more are those who drive the new Mustangs. If we're on a straight-away, I just let'em go... If we're entering a curvey stretch, I watch them quickly fade behind me.

In conclusion, my car responded so well to these basic mods, I have no current interest in tinkering with the car further. There may come a day, but I don't really need to beat up on Corvettes and Porsches... Or do I?

Old 04-23-2006, 05:09 AM
how can u possibly say the IS250 handles better than a stock G35. I've never driven a G with a standard suspension package (mine is sport-tuned), but I have driven an IS350.You can't push the lexus at all because you can't turn the VDC off (or whatever Lexus calls it). whenever you really try to see what it can do, the computer shuts you down!! I call bullsh!t on that claim!!!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What's the best Upgrades to do to the G35