Performance Driving Events ("Racing") in the DFW and Surrounding Areas: 2009

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 08:51 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'll probably be going to the TWS event next month as well. Hopefully it'll start to cool off by late September.

Old 08-11-2009, 12:02 PM
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
I know there's a few Apex events at MSR coming also...

Saturday,
September 26, 2009
1.7 mile CCW at MotorSport Ranch
Bring Your Own Car High Performance Driver Education Event
8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Tech inspection sheet required. (Fire extinguisher not required, however.)

Saturday,
October 10, 2009
1.7 mile CCW at MotorSport Ranch
8 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Saturday,
November 7, 2009
1.3 mile CCW at MotorSport Ranch
8 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Old 08-11-2009, 03:06 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
What's the weather like in October ? I'm thinking of doing an event that month.

Old 08-11-2009, 03:29 PM
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
I think October is a good time, I tracked in September last year and it was 95. A little cool off would be nice for a track day!

Old 08-11-2009, 08:49 PM
The pictures from the night race at Texas Motor Speedway are in. I'm a little disappointed that there are no good night shots of me with the rotors glowing.

http://www.hart-photography.com/phot...ewGallery=4684

There's very few overall really. Maybe there were camera difficulties. I was hoping for a photo I could hang up in the cubicle.

Old 08-13-2009, 02:16 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dude this is great - subscribed!

I've done a bunch of autocross and a school at DriveWay Austin and track day at GrandSport down by Galveston. I'm really interested in heading out to TWS, i went to watch once and it looked like a blast.

Old 08-13-2009, 09:47 AM
Hallett Anyone?

I know this is kind of last minute. But Im headed to Hallett Raceway in Oklahoma this weekend. It is a full HST day (open day). They only have 29 people registered so far, and have plenty of room for more. 3 groups with 7 run sessions on Saturday...maybe more.

Old 08-13-2009, 08:48 PM
Originally Posted by timsam
I know this is kind of last minute. But Im headed to Hallett Raceway in Oklahoma this weekend. It is a full HST day (open day). They only have 29 people registered so far, and have plenty of room for more. 3 groups with 7 run sessions on Saturday...maybe more.
I had to think about it for a moment, but all considering I can;t make it on short notice. Who sponsors Hallett events? I would like to head up there before the year is out. I need to burn up some vacation anyway.

Old 08-14-2009, 09:49 AM
Originally Posted by GWord256
I had to think about it for a moment, but all considering I can;t make it on short notice. Who sponsors Hallett events? I would like to head up there before the year is out. I need to burn up some vacation anyway.
Hallett does their own events. It is called HST (High Speed Touring) for regular cars. Usually how it works is the HST is fit inbetween official practice and races of Comma, SCCA, Legends, Etc. But for this weekend, its only HST (and they are waiving their yearly license fee).

Its fun and interesting out there. Its not as structured as Apex or TDE events. You dont need to have an instructor in your car at all...unless you want one to learn the track or learn some skills.

But with it being a SCCA Level 5+ track...if you can drive well here, then every other track should come easier.

You've still got time

Old 08-14-2009, 09:55 AM
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Hallett is a blast! The Oklahoma Z Car Club tried to reserve it for Aug 22 but we couldn't get enough people to join. Unfortunately I will be at a football game with my oldest son Saturday so I won't be able to make it. The track is very nice and there is plenty of runoff around the majority of the track. They run the HST event very well, I think there hasn't been car-to-car contact in over 10 years. Take some video, make sure to get the transponder and post your times.

Old 08-14-2009, 09:59 AM
Originally Posted by twin001
Hallett is a blast! The Oklahoma Z Car Club tried to reserve it for Aug 22 but we couldn't get enough people to join. Unfortunately I will be at a football game with my oldest son Saturday so I won't be able to make it. The track is very nice and there is plenty of runoff around the majority of the track. They run the HST event very well, I think there hasn't been car-to-car contact in over 10 years. Take some video, make sure to get the transponder and post your times.
HAHA...Yeah right...I suck too much to be posting my embarrassing times.

But I do run a Traqmate/ChaseCam setup...so hopefully I can get a good lap and post something up for yall.

Old 08-14-2009, 11:15 AM
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by timsam
HAHA...Yeah right...I suck too much to be posting my embarrassing times.

But I do run a Traqmate/ChaseCam setup...so hopefully I can get a good lap and post something up for yall.
We went a year ago this month and it was 100°+ temps, very hot! It was my first time tracking the car. My first few laps were ~1.48. Next session they were ~1.42 and the last session I got them down to a best lap of 1.39. I've done a few HPDE's since at another track so hopefully I can break into the 1.36 or 1.37 range next time I go.

Old 08-14-2009, 11:20 AM
Originally Posted by twin001
We went a year ago this month and it was 100°+ temps, very hot! It was my first time tracking the car. My first few laps were ~1.48. Next session they were ~1.42 and the last session I got them down to a best lap of 1.39. I've done a few HPDE's since at another track so hopefully I can break into the 1.36 or 1.37 range next time I go.
Yeah...been there for all weather cold, rain, and especially experienced the heat many times. Hopefully the weather stays what it is now and it should be around 95 degrees with no rain. (maybe i should bring a jacket...HA)

Our times are around the same. Too bad you cant make it out...with 7 sessions (maybe more), this should be fun!

Old 08-17-2009, 12:20 PM
Best time at Hallett this weekend was a 1.33.88
Video didnt work for some reason, so all I have is the TraqMate data.

Needless to say...Im happy with my new ride.

Old 08-17-2009, 01:14 PM
Originally Posted by GWord256
I'm signing up for the September even with The Drivers Edge @ MSR. Anyone car to join? I'm not 100% positive but I run in RED now so I can take passengers. Just a thought.
I will be there I am really looking forward to it, I wouldn't mind taking a break from racing to do a ride along with you though . I tried to talk my wife into going but I am sure there not going to much for her to do. So it will be nice at least know another person there.
So any tips on what to expect the first time out other then having the time of your life ? I have read alot of your posts looks like you do this quite a bit? What is red by the way? Thanks Kirk

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Performance Driving Events ("Racing") in the DFW and Surrounding Areas: 2009