Performance Driving Events ("Racing") in the DFW and Surrounding Areas: 2009

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 01:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GWord256
i'VE SENT MY CHECK IN FOR THE nOV 15-16 EVENT with TDE at TWS. I'd be nice if TDE moves me up to yellow finally.

Also I've commited to going to the Equipe Rapide AutoX at Mineral Wells Nov. 8-9 (two day autox, 35$ a day!). I have my buddy down here from PA and he'll be competing against me in my own car, which will be his 1st time driving my car and it'll only now be about 3 months after he got his licence back after 5 years no driving. Should be fun.

Has anyone run with Equipe before? I wouldn't even have known about them but i saw they were doing an autox on some Miata events calander.

Probably one of the last autox events of the year and I wanted to let my friend drive my car under the conditions I set forth to all my friends, "You can only drive it if your racing it." Only my one cousin has taken me up on that offer so far driving up to Boston once to goto an autox @ NHIS and again when I came to PA for holiday.

Link

I've run with ER at each of the last 4 events (in the Evo). I'll be at that event because I need to get 6 events to win my season trophy (in Novice, I'm not capable of competing in the open classes yet). It's not nearly as competitive as the SCCA crowd in both a good and bad way. The guys are still very friendly and you get more runs for the money.

You pay one rate for your 4 runs and then you pay $10 for two "Rapide Pax" runs. That $10 is put into a pool and everyone competes to win money. At yesterdays event, they paid 20 places (the first 5-6 only get $5, but $5 is $5 lol). I was 27th or 28th so no money for me

If you are going for both days, plan to stay the night in Mineral Wells (unless you live in Ft. Worth). Most of the people there for two days will either get a hotel room or camp out at the track. There'll be a pizza party (just like 5th grade!) and poker and other stuff going on that night. Maybe some fun runs as well since we have the site two days in a row.

I've not been out to Mineral Wells before, but its my understanding that the surface is a bit choppy and has some small gravel. You might want to tape up the sides of that car a bit behind the wheels in order to protect the paint.

Also, there is a $10 S2000 event this Saturday (18th) at Mineral Wells if you wanted to get a feel for the surface, etc.

Old 10-15-2008, 03:56 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, I've been there with S2k once. With a rental mustang 6cyl ! I tore up those all seasons something fierce, big chunks missing when I was done! I did enjoy the changing asphalt conditions though. Gives you a sense of how much the grip actually changes. I'll be playing the extra 10$ for the sole reason of getting 2 more runs per day. But with the modifications I've done I'll end up in some prepared class and be nowhere close to competitive with the PAX times. As far as autocross is concerned I bet my big brake kit hurts more then it helps with the extra weight and rotational energy (not that i'd actually notice).

I don't live super close by but close enough where I'll drive there both days just fine.

Stop by and say hello when I get there. If your driving an EVO I won't know which person to say hi to :P .

Originally Posted by goofygrin
I've run with ER at each of the last 4 events (in the Evo). I'll be at that event because I need to get 6 events to win my season trophy (in Novice, I'm not capable of competing in the open classes yet). It's not nearly as competitive as the SCCA crowd in both a good and bad way. The guys are still very friendly and you get more runs for the money.

You pay one rate for your 4 runs and then you pay $10 for two "Rapide Pax" runs. That $10 is put into a pool and everyone competes to win money. At yesterdays event, they paid 20 places (the first 5-6 only get $5, but $5 is $5 lol). I was 27th or 28th so no money for me

If you are going for both days, plan to stay the night in Mineral Wells (unless you live in Ft. Worth). Most of the people there for two days will either get a hotel room or camp out at the track. There'll be a pizza party (just like 5th grade!) and poker and other stuff going on that night. Maybe some fun runs as well since we have the site two days in a row.

I've not been out to Mineral Wells before, but its my understanding that the surface is a bit choppy and has some small gravel. You might want to tape up the sides of that car a bit behind the wheels in order to protect the paint.

Also, there is a $10 S2000 event this Saturday (18th) at Mineral Wells if you wanted to get a feel for the surface, etc.

Old 10-15-2008, 09:27 AM
Well by my best guess there will be 3-4 evos out there, but mine will be the only Evo X. And yes, pay the extra $10 for the two runs. Seat time is invaluable. What all mods do you have? The BBK is "ok" in an ST* class, but bumps you out of *SP. You might end up in SM.

Old 11-03-2008, 09:31 AM
I've been slacking. Haven't even posted the December events. Whilst few and far between, I do have some on my calander. I'll be sure to get them up some time this week.

As for next year I haven't started looking yet. I wouldn't be surprised that some clubs have their dates posted already. I'll start up a new thread for the '09 season. I'll change the format so all the links and club info is in the first post and all the events will be listed in post #2. That'll make it easier to see all the events without having to search through all pages. Although that means it'll probably be edited frequently as I find new stuff.

See you this weekend.

Old 11-03-2008, 08:49 PM
December Events

December 6 - 7
Porsche Club of America, Texas World Speedway

December 6 - 7
The Drivers Edge, Motorsport Ranch

December 13 - 14
TWS Club, Texas World Speedway

Old 11-04-2008, 05:02 PM
Ot

Hey Gword...did you install the Master Cylinder Brace?
Wanted to get your thoughts/review.

Old 11-04-2008, 09:25 PM
Originally Posted by timsam
Hey Gword...did you install the Master Cylinder Brace?
Wanted to get your thoughts/review.
Didn't get the time yet. Picked up all the tools I need, just haven't gotten to it.

Old 11-10-2008, 07:23 PM
GWord, was that you I talked to on Saturday at Mineral Wells?

Guys, he's got a very quick car (and is a good driver), but I think that I edged him out on Sunday (He did beat me on Saturday though).

Old 11-10-2008, 09:51 PM
Yes, twas I. I didn't see the times yet. Did I actually get a better time then you on Saturday? My tires (rears) started chunking and my times got slower that day. I was all over the place just trying to keep from spinning. Power slides are fun sometimes but that was bad.

I talked with the head-master and he let me leave early to get new tires. Had to help clean up the next day.

Old 11-11-2008, 01:33 AM
Yes, twas I. I didn't see the times yet. Did I actually get a better time then you on Saturday? My tires (rears) started chunking and my times got slower that day. I was all over the place just trying to keep from spinning. Power slides are fun sometimes but that was bad.

I talked with the head-master and he let me leave early to get new tires. Had to help clean up the next day.
Ya... my best time was 89 and change on Saturday and I think you were in the 87s. My best time on Sunday was 92.6xx.

For anyone else out there, here's a taste of an AutoX at Mineral Wells:

(In an Evo).

Old 11-11-2008, 11:42 AM
Hmm, they posted the results and I guess I remembered wrong what your best time was.

Oh well, it was nice seeing a G out there spinning some tires!

Old 11-11-2008, 09:48 PM
The Evo X is a hole hell of a lot faster than the Evo 9. Is it still considered AS or did SCCA move it to SS?

I know you were running STU. I don't know any of the street touring rules at all.

Old 11-12-2008, 01:24 PM
The Evo X is a hole hell of a lot faster than the Evo 9. Is it still considered AS or did SCCA move it to SS?
In a straight line it's actually slower (more HP, more weight, more weight on the wheels with 18s and bigger brakes). Around corners, it's a lot faster though because of the new yaw control. Around slaloms it can get hairy because of the yaw control.

It's AS, but it's honestly too heavy and soft to be competitive in AS vs. the S2000's.

I know you were running STU. I don't know any of the street touring rules at all.
STU means (for an Evo):
- 245 max tire width
- 140 minimum treadwear rating
- tunes allowed, but no touching the boost (so fuel maps only)
- springs, struts, coilovers, camber plates, sway bars all legal
- brake changes are legal (but not in *SP which is the next step up [BSP for an Evo])
- intake, exhaust legal
- no engine mods (cams, etc)
- no intercooler piping or intercoolers
- no exterior stuff (hoods, wings, etc.)
- some interior rules (cannot strip, minimum seat weights, etc.)

Old 11-20-2008, 04:30 PM
Hey if you signed up for the TDE event at MSR on the 6th and 7th of December using the NTEC affiliation, please post or send me a PM. Rick (the manager) is asking so that we can validate the discount.

Thanks!

Old 11-20-2008, 04:34 PM
Ive signed up, but didnt use that affiliation, but sure would like a discount! Oh well...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Performance Driving Events ("Racing") in the DFW and Surrounding Areas: 2009