FAQ & DIY Frequently Asked Questions & Do It Yourself- Sedan and Coupe. Updates Approved by Administrators and Moderators.

Zaino FAQ

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-02-2003, 11:21 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Zaino FAQ

This is what I made for another car site. I think it will come in handy here:

Suggestions For Beginners/Occasional Washers/Waxers

Z1 Polish Lok or ZFX accelerant
You need one of these - it is the base for the "system". Get ZFX if you intend to do multiple coats at a time - for the deeper shine - or if you are planning on using Zaino in a cold or very humid climate
Z2 Clear coat Polish (you can swap Z2 for Z5 if you want to save $; see next)
Z5 Swirl Remover & Polish (especially if you have a dark car; you can sub Z5 for Z2 if you want to save $)
Z6 Gloss Enhancer & Quick Detail Spray
Z7 Car Wash

Suggestions For Enthusiasts
* all of the above, plus:
Z18 Clay bar (prep for the whole deal)
Z16 Tire Gloss (good on tires and on flat black exterior trim)

Sal from Zaino recommends:
For beginners, I recommend getting one each of either Z-1 Polish Lok or the New ZFX accelerator, Z-2 Show Car Polish (Z-3 if you don't have a clear-coated finish), Z-5 for Swirls, Z-6 "Gloss Enhancer" spray and Z-18 ClayBar. If you're a first timer and prefer to order a different combination just be sure to get Z-1 or the new ZFX. It is necessary before applying any of the Zaino
polishes.

Quantity Tips
If you're inclined to order multiple quantities, keep in mind you'll use 2x to 3x more Z6 and Z7 than anything else. Don’t order more than 1 bottle of Z1 -- it lasts forever. Get an extra polish applicator or two -- they work great and eventually wear out.

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS

I'm ordering Zaino...... but what about waxing the car?
You will not beat the UV protection, gloss, and durability you get with Zaino. You should not use wax once you start using Zaino. Waxes generally contain carnauba. Carnauba will provide a shine, but it is not optically clear like Zaino, which is why Zaino has a deep wet gloss look. Carnauba wax also does not stay on the paint that long as heat will break the wax down. Some waxes also contain silicone, which is great for shine, but does attract dust like a magnet and also leaves white marks in cracks (like between the hood and fenders) that are hard to get out with towels.

How do I get started with Zaino?
Wash the car using Dawn dishwashing liquid soap. Dawn will strip off the old wax and other grease/grime build up so your paint will be clean for your first application of Zaino.

After applying Z1, how long do I have to wait for it to dry before I apply Z2/Z5?
Z1 is a quick drying solution. By the time you’ve finished applying Z1, you are ready to apply Z2/Z5 directly over Z1. Do not remove Z1 before applying Z2/Z5, Z1 helps bond Z2/Z5 to the paint.

It’s time to reapply Z1. Do I need remove the old coats of Z2/Z5 by washing with Dawn?
No, according to Sal at Zainobros, Dawn will not remove Z2 or Z5. Just wash your cars as you normally do, and apply Z1 followed by Z2 or Z5.

What’s the best way to apply Z1, Z2, or Z5?
Z-1 should be applied in a circular motion. Once you're finished applying Z-1, you should immediately apply the Z-2 in a back-and-forth motion (bumper to windshield) on horizontal surfaces and up-and-down motion on vertical surfaces.

I’m having a hard time taking off Z2/Z5, what’s wrong and/or how long does it take to dry?
Either you have applied it too thickly or it’s not fully dry. The proper way to apply Z2/Z5 is to lightly dampen the applicator (you can also squirt Z6 lightly on the applicator after), and apply a few stripes of Z2/Z5 to the applicator. Rub the stripes with your finger to spread the polish out evenly over the applicator. Then apply the polish to your car in thin even coats.

Z1 with Z2/Z5 or Z2/Z5 applied alone will take anywhere from one to six hours or more depending on the outside temperature and humidity. Colder temperatures and high humidity will take longer to dry than warmer less humid conditions. To test for dryness, rub your finger on a spot, if it smears, then the polish is not dry.

ZFX will substantially speed up the drying process for any climate and is highly recommended for cold weather and high humidity areas.

How soon before I can apply another coat of Z2/Z5?
You will need to wait at least eight hours (in hotter less humid climates) and up to 24 hours is recommended in high humidity environments.

Typically how many coats of Zaino does everyone get out of the small mixing bottle (comes with the ZFX) and how long does it last?
On average, most people get two to three coats worth by mixing one ounce of Z2/Z5 with four drops of ZFX. The combined solution will only be usable for up to twelve hours. After that, the polish and mixing bottle should be thrown away as it will be impossible to completely clean the mixing bottle. If you clean the mixing bottle before the twelve hour mark, you should be able to reuse the bottle.

Can I use a machine like an orbital buffer to apply/remove Z2/Z5?
Yes you can, but it’s not recommended. By using a buffer to apply the product, you will be adding more polish to the pad than you need, thus wasting the polish. To remove the polish with a buffer, you cannot accomplish this with a single pad. You must use a 100% cotton towel folded between the pad and the paint and will have to frequently turn and re-fold the towel to ensure a clean surface of the towel touching the paint. Z2 and Z5 are very easy to apply and remove by hand that you should not need to use a machine to accomplish this.

Why am I getting so much dust build up after I applied Z2/Z5?
You are not following up with Z6 after you take off Z2/Z5. Z6 is a gloss enhancer, but also contains anti-static properties to repel dust. Without using Z6 after removing the polish dust will attract to your car.

What kind of towel can I use to remove the polish?
Zaino recommends using 100% cotton brand name towels such as Cannon or FieldCrest. Although some towel may say they are 100% cotton, they are not. Also remember that the stitching and borders around the towel may cause scratches, so it’s best to remove them. Some have used microfiber towels with success but there are some that may scratch your paint. If you want to be 100% sure that your towel will not scratch the paint, stick to the Cannon or FieldCrest towels.

I’m getting streaks after applying Z6, I thought Z6 wasn’t supposed to streak?
Z6 is a super concentrated solution, therefore you should use it sparingly. To remove the streaks, simply spray Z6 over the affected area and wipe off again.

-Rick

Old 06-02-2003, 11:21 AM
Administrator
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Zaino FAQ

Good info for those using or considering Zaino. I'm going to 'sticky' this post.[img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]

<font color=green>GG</font color=green>

Old 06-02-2003, 04:29 PM
Running for his life!!
Maximize Zaino Usage

Trick I use to mix ZFX and the polish is not to use the bottle it comes with to mix the ZFX. I use a syringe instead. That way you can use every bit of the polish. People who use ZFX knows what I'm talking about. There is always polish left over in the bottle that you cannot get to. Also it is easier to clean.

G35C 6MT / E55

Old 06-07-2003, 12:10 AM
Location: Metropolitan South Farmington, not too far from the supercity we all know as Wilmot, NS
Re: Maximize Zaino Usage

Having done 3 cars now (3 coats on my G, 2 on my buddies Saab and 2 on my wife's Accord), scrimping to save the bottle afterwards each time, I can't tell you how good and easy an idea you have there, wreck- well done. Question- are you able to aptly shake the stuff up as well as in the bottles normally supplied? Now I want to go to the drug store and get some syringes and do the car again. Cool.

DB