FAQ & DIY Frequently Asked Questions & Do It Yourself- Sedan and Coupe. Updates Approved by Administrators and Moderators.

Heated Fresh Air (cure)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-29-2003, 09:42 AM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Heated Fresh Air (cure)

As discovered by 'larryib'; Thank you for posting, I've copied and pasted to our FAQ & DIY forum.

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

Heated fresh air

larryib (enthusiast )
07/28/03 09:30 P

Has anyone else noticed that when fresh air without air-conditioning is set, the incoming air is hotter then the outside air even if the set temperature is below? The way it works fresh air is drawn in from the driver cowl intake and runs across to the passenger side where the intake door (behind the battery) is opened thru a plenum space that includes the boxed off areas under the battery cover on the passender side and in the brake cylinder area on the drivers side. The problem, at least on my coupe was that were several small openings along the seams of the boxed walls where hot engine air was entering and heating the fresh air. My problem was solved by using silicone caulk to close the openings. I suggest that you check this in your car by holding a work light behind the boxed areas and seeing if you see any light coming thru because remember that this heating will make your air-conditioner work that much harder causing at least fuel inefficiency. Also check that the rubber gasket designed to seal against the closed hood is in place and in good shape

<hr></blockquote>

a follow up post:

Re: Heated fresh air [re: larryib]

Larryib (enthusiast )
07/29/03 01:38 PM

I have had several requests for more info on this solution. I suggest that you just remove the full battery cover by lifting up the 5 "snap-its" and then holding a light inside the battery area as well as the boxed area on the drivers side where the brake cylinder is and looking for any light coming thru into the engine area (front and side). I found holes and spaces in both areas including some of the metal seams, the harness and pipe grommets. All of these spaces should be plugged with clear silicone caulk or glue (also comes in hard to find black).
I tested the seal of the rubber stripping with the hood and that seemed fine except for the part over the battery cover which kinda dips down. I added some silicone to build-up the rubber strip in that area. Also put some black plastic tape around the battery cover latches. This effort really paid if because now the fresh air temp is pretty much that of the outside air. Obviously Nissan should have taken more care with this and I would be interested to know what a dealers reaction to fixing it if anyone decides to go that route rather then doing it themselves though I would still check it with a light after they are through with it. Not much more I can add but if you have a specific question let me know

<hr></blockquote>

<font color=red>GSM</font color=red> <font color=black>Silverstone Coupe</font color=black>