detailing FYI--and I have no affiliation...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-29-2008, 05:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MrPutzy
At $75 per hour, a few hundred won't go very far. My mechanic does not even charge me that much per hour.
MrPutzy at 75 per man hour, it won't go very far (or it will) depending on how you look at it. To keep it realitive in regards to a mechanic, if you know a mechanic who does house calls, please forward me his name. Also, keep in mind that while a mechanic may charge a shop fee rate, you are also charged for parts and in some cases equipment use.

Now the difference between a mechanic and a detailer is different as well. Most detailers are realitive to shade tree mechanics, they know enough to get the job down most of the time but not as good as a professional. Even among mechanics there is a huge difference in skill level, experience, and applicable knowledge.

Most mechanics are capable of logical diagnosis and part replacement. But there are the rare mechanics who get into a specialized field (lets say high end engine building/tuning) and will study the tensile strength of a wave style rod bolt to help them build a better engine. They will research harmonics and air flow properties to help them tune the ports of the cylinder heads for just one more CFM of airflow at a specific valve lift. These mechanics are in demand and charge upwards of 200's and hour for the expertise and experience.

What we do isn't detailing (though we offer those services) but apply the same passion and artwork that a speicalized engine tuner does in porting his cylinder heads to the art of perfecting paint.

Every polish or compound we use is exhaustively researched. Every pad, wax, microfiber towel, chemical, ect is what we have found to be the absolute best. I could have an hour conversation with you on how different solvents and carries used in compounds will affect the polishing process (and ultimate paint clarity) based on humidity, tempature, or paint type.

What we bring to the table is a specilized service that we are highly passionate about.

Old 03-29-2008, 05:17 PM
Originally Posted by r10apple
You are a massage therapist, too???

Well, I think you guys are missing the point we are all trying to make. No one is disputing the quality of your work nor the price for said work. What we are saying is that for us, it's simply out of a realm of need. Sincerely, even with your product, a daily driven, non-garaged, 15k miles/year car would need your service at least 2 to 3 times a year, no? Let's jsut say it is $1,000 a pop. So, $3k a year? Wow. Now, if I had my G as a weekend only, garaged car that I wanted to continuously look flawless, your service would be perfect for my needs. But, with the regular abuse my car takes, it's simply not a practical investment. Last I checked, my Infiniti obviously isn't a garage kept Ferrari...Does that make more sense to you?

We are all here to prop your work. Heck, I started the thread and have no gripe about the quality of your work or again, the price you charge. That said, it just isn't for my needs at the present time...
I fully agree that spending 900-1300 (or whatever) 3 times a year wouldn't suite your needs. In fact, I would tell you that you are wasting your money.

However, one thing to keep in mind is that we do not use glazes, oils, or fillers when polishing the paint. What you see is what you get (most detailers use an oil based product loaded with kaolin clay that acts to temporality mask defects).

Once we perfect paint, it is perfect. With proper washing and maintenance will keep the paint looking perfect for a very long time. This is why we spend a long time educating our clients on proper washing techniques and maintenance.

For those who don't want or desire perfect paint we offer a "protected shine" package that general runs $350-450 dollars. This package offers light polishing that will remove wash induced marring as well as increase the gloss of the paint my microscopically re-leveling it. Because as we approach perfection the time increases at a square root, by aiming for less then perfection we are able to present a dramatic increase in appearance for far less of a charge.

Also keep in mind that if somebody does want perfection, it is generally a one time thing, because even as light swirls and spider webbing occur, generally the "protected shine" package will restore a car to perfection. So the only way it would be realistic to spend more then 3K a year with us on one car is if it wasn't maintained with the same care that we put into it.

I hope this clarifies things a little better?

Also thank you for the compliments!

Old 03-31-2008, 06:06 PM
Originally Posted by ToddHelme
I fully agree that spending 900-1300 (or whatever) 3 times a year wouldn't suite your needs. In fact, I would tell you that you are wasting your money.

However, one thing to keep in mind is that we do not use glazes, oils, or fillers when polishing the paint. What you see is what you get (most detailers use an oil based product loaded with kaolin clay that acts to temporality mask defects).

Once we perfect paint, it is perfect. With proper washing and maintenance will keep the paint looking perfect for a very long time. This is why we spend a long time educating our clients on proper washing techniques and maintenance.

For those who don't want or desire perfect paint we offer a "protected shine" package that general runs $350-450 dollars. This package offers light polishing that will remove wash induced marring as well as increase the gloss of the paint my microscopically re-leveling it. Because as we approach perfection the time increases at a square root, by aiming for less then perfection we are able to present a dramatic increase in appearance for far less of a charge.

Also keep in mind that if somebody does want perfection, it is generally a one time thing, because even as light swirls and spider webbing occur, generally the "protected shine" package will restore a car to perfection. So the only way it would be realistic to spend more then 3K a year with us on one car is if it wasn't maintained with the same care that we put into it.

I hope this clarifies things a little better?

Also thank you for the compliments!
Yup--right on the money...