Renting Track for a day..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-28-2006, 10:57 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
being cautious is for pussies!! just kidding, yeah i cant wait, this should be a lot of fun

edit.. wow i cant believe it let me type that word.... wooo hooo

Old 04-28-2006, 11:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Since the rules say no passing there has to be some kind of action. Time trials! I'm bringing a stopwatch and some cash....yeah!

Old 04-29-2006, 01:19 AM
CJ had a good idea! If we want to do fastest lap time award.I do not trust someone with a stopwatch when money is up for grabs. A .10 of a second off by a push of a button can cost someone money.Now what we can do is who ever wants in the fastest lap comp.(DOT tires only) can put up an equal amount of money so we can puchase an actual in car lap timer with transmitting beacon and all for a total of $249+ shipping.Then the person who records the fastest lap time keeps the timing equipment.Sounds like an idea to think about guy's.Here is a link to the lap timer I have found to be the best deal.
http://www.aimsports.com/products/tg/index.html

Old 04-29-2006, 06:07 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
yeah, the first thing i thought of when we decided to do the track day was a cash pool and winner takes all. then we figured if we have people timing us there will be room for error. this will be fun.

maybe i will just buy the equipment and we can do the time trials for money the way we thought we would at first. then i will have more reason to try to win it...

Old 04-29-2006, 08:47 AM
Originally Posted by beddow
Here is a link to the lap timer I have found to be the best deal. http://www.aimsports.com/products/tg/index.html
Check out the AC4 Autocross timer http://www.raceamerica.com/

Old 04-29-2006, 12:29 PM
List is now full everyone this morning I received payment from Tyler ,Thanks Tyler.This means all payments are already to me or makinh it to me today, or on the way thru the mail!
Awesome guy's now we just need to have everyone that is going state which Level best suits them.

Here is the Official list of those attending.In order to get on this list please be 100% sure,post up on the thread, and email me your full name and car info.
1.Eric (beddow) 350z paid
2.Jeremy(audiblemayhem) 350z paid
3.Brian(98 Intrigue's friend)BMW M coupe paid
4.CJ(cj350) 350z paid by paypal
5.Kevin Corvette paid
6.Jesse(Gatekeeper) SRT4 paid
7.Ryan(98 Intrigue) G35 paid
8.Dan(SFLG35) G35 paid
9.Ian(Demonteverde) G35 paid by paypal
10.Chris S13 paid
11.Stuart(UFGatorG35) G35 paid
12.Andrew(Kevin's brother) Corvette paid
13.Levent(TrackHoRX8) RX8 Paid by paypal
14.Michael Moody(MoodDude) 350Z paid
15.Matt Mustang GT paid
16.Mark(mdemonte) Maxima paid by paypal
17.Siu(st350z) 350z paid by paypal to me
18.Mike(keib) g35 paid
19.Jon (jadaway2) G35 paid by paypal
20.Tyler(srTFrazier) SRT4 paid by paypal to me

Last edited by beddow; 05-02-2006 at 10:13 PM.
Old 04-29-2006, 01:12 PM
Florida G35 Club, General Member
Originally Posted by audiblemayhem
being cautious is for pussies!! just kidding, yeah i cant wait, this should be a lot of fun
Ok, you and me bud. I was trying to behave, but now its on. I hope you have comprehensive

Old 04-29-2006, 04:32 PM
Received Payments for Kevin,Andrew,and Mike today.Thanks guy's see ya soon.

From my350z forum

Originally Posted by MoodDude
Guys - about the timing equipment - my insurance will be void if I participate in a timed race (and I am sure most everyone elses would be too). My insurance is good for going to the track to learn to drive my car, but no competition. Any thoughts on this, since a fast time lap sounds like fun - but I think a trophy would be better than cash (bragging rights last longer).
And I think Levent is leading you on - he has the best modification on his car that you can do - R-compond tires, plus he is a pretty bad-a** driver - I have riden with him.

Audiblemayham, Having everything organized before we get ther is a great idea. It would be great if 2 or 3 of the experienced guys could tech the cars before we start to make sure everyone has a fun and safe day. Maybe we could meet for breakfast before the track opens and tech the cars and have a drivers meeting to ensure everyone knows the runles? Then, I would like to have a morning yellow flag time for everyone to drive around the coarse 2x before we start. And would like 20 min for each group, with one cool down lap at the end, then 5 min transition time to the next group. Since group changes takes time away from driving the longer we can let each group go the more track time we will all get. Yet, anymore than 20 min is going to be hard since I don't carry water in my car for me to drink and it will be hot!
As far as the groups - we do need track marshals - and probably the experienced guys could help out on this. This means at least one experienced guy would have to run in a lower group.
As far as spacing out the cars - if we have a tower, the marshal could flag the people to go when the car in front reaches a certain point. This would space the cars out the best instead of just timing it.

This is the format we ran at a private track day I went to at Talladega and worked really well.

Beddow - does the track have flags and cones? (I am assuming we will need cones to set the coarse up since there are so many different layouts you can chose on this track)

Glad to see everyone else is as excited as I am!
Originally Posted by TrackHoRX8
You're giving away all my secrets.

I can put together a tech sheet to make sure we cover all the important stuff. I'll post it here once the weekend is over as I'm travelling right now.

Here are some things to keep in mind:
Clean out the car of all loose items including the spare tire.
Battery should be secured
Floor Mats removed.
Wheel bolts torqued correctly, none broken or missing
Good rubber on tires.
No broken or cracked windshields - should also tape up front lights to protect against thrown rocks
Helmet
Safety belts in good shape.
Muffler/exhaust secured and no brackets broken (nobody is going to want to run over the muffler you leave on the track)
No fluid leaks
Oil, coolant, brake fluid, clutch fluid all at good levels.
Cameras are mounted or bolted into the car securely.

If anyone has a laser or probe pyrometer, it would be really cool to have it on hand and see how hot the tires, brakes, and exhaust manifolds get. It'll surprise you. It's also a really good indicator for setting pressures and suspension adjustments. I promise you that you'll be smelling brakes. By the end of the day, some people are going to decide that they or their car is tired and will sit out a session.
To my knowledge there will not be flags available for us.My simple solution is too bring two shirts 1 Black means you come in to pit/and end of session,the other would be yellow for caution someone is off track/and it will also dub as debris flag.

With all that has been mentioned it all sounds great sounds like I'm attending a track day with Chin.As far as tech inspections thats a little too much I will as I stated expect everyone going to have their car up to safe conditions that is your responsibility.I know most all of these people and they take their car seriously and would not put them or their cars in jeopardy by coming out on tires with steel belts showing etc.I will bring my torque wrench out so everyone can hit a couple lugs per wheel to be sure.What I will require before we all hit the track is a small drivers meeting, everyone has read and understands the rules, then signs off on the track rules sheet.If you go out in your first session and go off track a few times your day will be done.Thats the track rule not mine,thats the reason for the signing of the rules, so your fully aware and acknowledge them.Not saying it will happen you just never know.Say someone is having a hard time getting thru the corners smoothly that person needs to simmer down finish out the session and talk to someone with experience to help them find out why.
The ideas are great and I support them completely because I want this to be a fun safe day.

Trackhorx8 pointed out some good things that will be manditory on top of the track rules.
1.Small drivers meeting before going hot track.(going over rules,flags,pitting signal)
2.Clean out the car of all loose items including the spare tire, includes floor mats
3.Wheel bolts torqued correctly, none broken or missing
4.No fluid leaks( if some has or see some one leaking fluid let me know,DO NOT RUN YOU A/C ON THE TRACK FOR ANY REASON

I'm sure more things will pop up on this list but thats some of the important things I have in mind now.
Thanks
Eric

Last edited by beddow; 04-29-2006 at 04:47 PM.
Old 04-29-2006, 05:34 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Originally Posted by UFGatorG35
Ok, you and me bud. I was trying to behave, but now its on. I hope you have comprehensive
great. comprehensive covers people stealing stuff outta my car, should i be worried??

i have collision though!! bring it !!! i might be getting some RA1s here before the track day... can we say fastest street tire lap time

Old 04-29-2006, 09:58 PM
A track timer sounds very cool. Running the track will be fun by itself but a little timed competition takes it up a notch for me. However, if the $250 timer bill and insurance bs causes problems I'm still bringing my stopwatch and cash.

I only have a cai and pulleys on a 5AT sedan, plus being a total noob on the track, I don't expect to be winning against this field. However, I will take some poor suckers down head to head because I have a dangerous combination of confidence and sack.

I have a couple of personal predictions for this trip.
1. I will be in the market for some performance modifications the following week.
2. I will be joining the club and doing this more often as I can see being a total racing junkie.

Let's get it ON!

Jon

Old 04-29-2006, 11:07 PM
Hey Audiblemayem...what's the story on the RA1's you're mentioning. I have to get new rubber and from the sounds of it you think these are good tires. I used BF TA/KDW's and really liked them but not so much to try something different.

Any advice on some good rubber?

Old 04-29-2006, 11:57 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
yeah the toyo RA1s are badass but they are expensive

check them out and see if you like them...

there are a lot of good tires, they just all cost a bit of money...

Old 04-30-2006, 07:40 PM
Ordering my Falken RT615's tonight for June 3rd.I had the RT215 on my SRT4 and they stuck pretty good at Sebring, they also lasted pretty long for daily driving but sucked bad in standing water.I decided to see if these newer 615's really are better at dry grip and handling water.

Old 04-30-2006, 08:14 PM
Originally Posted by jadaway2
... because I have a dangerous combination of confidence and sack.

I have a couple of personal predictions for this trip.
1. I will be in the market for some performance modifications the following week.
2. I will be joining the club and doing this more often as I can see being a total racing junkie.

Let's get it ON!

Jon

That's a great combination for winning races and learning a lot. You do need to have an "Oh ****" meter though as to not do anything stupid. I'm going to try to get us to be able to ride passengers so that we can learn from each other.

As for your #2, check out http://www.nasa-southeast.com for their HPDE's (High Performance Driver's Education). It helps with the track addiction. Florida has a NASA chapter too. They will visit a lot of tracks this year. We'll be at Roebling in 2 weeks, Road Atlanta later in August, VIR, Rockingham, and CMP.

Last edited by TrackHoRX8; 04-30-2006 at 08:18 PM.
Old 04-30-2006, 08:17 PM
Originally Posted by beddow
Ordering my Falken RT615's tonight for June 3rd.I had the RT215 on my SRT4 and they stuck pretty good at Sebring, they also lasted pretty long for daily driving but sucked bad in standing water.I decided to see if these newer 615's really are better at dry grip and handling water.
Be careful, they can get slippery when they get too hot. In hot weather, most people bring a pump up spray bottle (type for weed killer) which they spray down tires before/after sessions so they don't get too hot.

The 615's are pretty damn sticky. They can wear the outside though if you don't have camber set right or have understear. Hell of a tire though. You should be very happy with them. Like I said, we're going to have to trade rides in cars.

Last edited by TrackHoRX8; 04-30-2006 at 08:19 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Renting Track for a day..