Window tinting..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-13-2006, 02:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Window tinting..

Hey fellas,

I'm in the process of purchasing that G35 coupe, and was talking with Marc from Lokey about window tints. Looks like I have to go the 'all around' light (35%) in order to have a good enough look.

Anyone have pictures of what this looks like? Would you consider making the back window darker, since its allowed, even though it wouldn't quite match the other windows?

Opinions? Shoot'em..

Old 04-13-2006, 03:05 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I went with 15% all around. I got it done at Windows America on Drew St at Belcher in Clearwater.

Old 04-13-2006, 03:29 PM
Wink

15% as in blocks 15% - or as in LT is only 15%?

I believe the law requires 35% blocking in front & driver window, and 50% blocking everywhere else..

Just wondering if you're a criminal.

Old 04-13-2006, 03:40 PM
No, it's not exactly legal, but you'll only get hassled if the cop wants to prove a point.

Florida Statute 316.2953 Side windows; restrictions on sunscreening material.--A person shall not operate any motor vehicle on any public highway, road, or street on which vehicle the side wings and side windows on either side forward of or adjacent to the operator's seat are composed of, covered by, or treated with any sunscreening material or other product or covering which has the effect of making the window nontransparent or which would alter the window's color, increase its reflectivity, or reduce its light transmittance, except as expressly permitted by this section. A sunscreening material is authorized for such windows if, when applied to and tested on the glass of such windows on the specific motor vehicle, the material has a total solar reflectance of visible light of not more than 25 percent as measured on the nonfilm side and a light transmittance of at least 28 percent in the visible light range. A violation of this section is a noncriminal traffic infraction, punishable as a nonmoving violation as provided in chapter 318.

Florida Statute 316.2954 Windows behind the driver; restrictions on sunscreening material.--

(1) A person shall not operate any motor vehicle on any public highway, road, or street on which vehicle any windows behind the driver are composed of, covered by, or treated with any sunscreening material, or other product or material which has the effect of making the window nontransparent or which would alter the window's color, increase its reflectivity, or reduce its light transmittance, except as specified below:

(a) Sunscreening material consisting of film which, when applied to and tested on the rear window glass of the specific motor vehicle, has a total solar reflectance of visible light of not more than 35 percent as measured on the nonfilm side and a light transmittance of at least 15 percent in the visible light range; however, sunscreening material which, when applied to and tested on the rear window glass of the specific motor vehicle, has a total solar reflectance of visible light of not more than 35 percent as measured on the nonfilm side and a light transmittance of at least 6 percent in the visible light range may be used on multipurpose passenger vehicles.

(b) Perforated sunscreening material which, when tested in conjunction with existing glazing or film material, has a total reflectance of visible light of not more than 35 percent and a light transmittance of no less than 30 percent. For those products or materials having different levels of reflectance, the highest reflectance from the product or material will be measured by dividing the area into 16 equal sections and averaging the overall reflectance. The measured reflectance of any of those sections may not exceed 50 percent.

(c) Louvered materials, if the installation of the materials does not reduce driver visibility by more than 50 percent.

(d) Privacy drapes, curtains and blinds, provided such covering is in an open and secure position when the motor vehicle is being operated on any public highway, road, or street.

(2) A person shall not operate any motor vehicle upon any public highway, road, or street, on which vehicle the rear window is composed of, covered by, or treated with any material which has the effect of making the window nontransparent, unless the vehicle is equipped with side mirrors on both sides that meet the requirements of s. 316.294.

(3) A violation of this section is a noncriminal traffic infraction, punishable as a nonmoving violation as provided in chapter 318.
316.2955 Window sunscreening material; compliance labeling; tolerances.--

(1) Each installer or seller of sunscreening material shall provide a pressure-sensitive, self-destructive, nonremovable, vinyl-type film label to the purchaser stating that the material complies with the provisions of ss. 316.2951-316.2954. Each such installer shall affix the required label to the inside left door jamb of the motor vehicle. In addition, the label shall state the trade name of the material and the installer's or seller's business name. Labeling is not required for factory glazing which complies with Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard No. 205.

(2) Every percentage measurement required by ss. 316.2951-316.2954 is subject to a tolerance of plus or minus 3 percent.

(3) The department shall adopt rules approving light transmittance measuring devices for use in making measurements required by ss. 316.2951-316.2954. A witness otherwise qualified to testify shall be competent to give testimony regarding the percentage of light transmission when the testimony is derived from the use of an approved device. The reading from an approved device is presumed accurate and shall be admissible into evidence in the trial of any infraction arising under ss. 316.2951-316.2954.

Old 04-13-2006, 04:27 PM
Thanks for the reference..! Darn, you must be a lawyer..

Old 04-13-2006, 04:55 PM
A paralegal actually.

Old 04-13-2006, 05:21 PM
_jb
Photographer

I have 35% on the four side windows with 20% in the back with a 20% strip on the front.

I like to look of a bit less tint on the sides, plus it's also legal. The rear window lets in a lot of sun and heat, so I went with the 20% there. If I had it to do over again, I'd go with 35% for the front strip. I have trouble seeing some stoplights with the 20%.

I like the lesser tint. I think the G is too nice a car to hide with Limo tint.

There are a couple of pictures of my tint in my Projector Headlight Installation thread.

Old 04-13-2006, 05:25 PM
FGC President
Received 15 Likes on 2 Posts
i like hiding in my cave

i have 5 on the sides and rear, and 30 on the front with a 5 strip as well on the front.

the ratings mean that 5% of light goes through or in your case 35% of light goes through, so 65% of light is blocked out.

Old 04-13-2006, 10:17 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
double 15%...that's how I roll

Attached Thumbnails Window tinting..-05rims2.jpg  
Old 04-17-2006, 04:47 PM
Huper optic Sech film gives a 63% heat rejection with almost no distinct darkness . Sometimes its better to be cool than in a cave . Check out the huper optic products for a high end look . You can just use the dark stuff but it actually absorbs heat into the tint instead of reflecting it . Check out my web site for some links www.btropical.com

Old 04-17-2006, 06:23 PM
Florida G35 Club
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by redwillow
redwillow, how is the window motor dealing with the double layer of tint? Does it sound like the motor is straining to roll up the window? Thanks.

Old 04-17-2006, 09:03 PM
no, it's fine

Old 04-17-2006, 11:19 PM
2.25%.....The old school jammin 15" days......Good times, good times. I'm glad my ears still work. I have 20% all around. I know a few cops that have the same. As long as you don't go with 5% they won't hastle you. As a rule of thumb only the bike cops have the instrument to measure tint. It's very rare regular squad cars have them.
Originally Posted by redwillow

Old 04-17-2006, 11:58 PM
FGC President
Received 15 Likes on 2 Posts
so if double 15 is 2.25%
how is that any lighter then 5%??
and why would cops pull you over is you have 5 and not pull you over if you have double 15??

Old 04-18-2006, 07:10 PM
i don't think it is a big deal. I got a tint ticket in my last car with 5% about 10 years ago....but it was total BS. It was national stop sign day or some $hit and they were stopping every car on a main road and looking for a reason to give them a ticket.

....unless, of course, you have tint on your winshield, they you are totally screwed.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Window tinting..