Forced Induction Discussion of turbos , superchargers , and nitrous upgrades on the G35

Huge Problems! Dud Stillen Sc?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-27-2006, 10:42 PM
English dude, English
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Huge Problems! Dud Stillen Sc?

Ok guys, I'm gonna start this off as what the current problem is, then possiby I will add the rest of the story considering how this thread goes.

Problem 1. The 6 rib large belt that controls the power steering pump is chewed up on the back edge of the belt.

Cause: No shim was placed behind the idler pulley.

Problem 2. The idler pulley bearings are possibly out because of constant squeal.

Cause: Possibly because the uneven pressure being applied to said pulley because of no shim.

Problem 3. Which is the biggiest problem in my opinion: I am getting a knocking sound at idle, which goes away as RPM's increase. It sounds like a knock every second or so.

Cause: I don't know, but what I do know is that it is coming from the SC itself. It sounds like it is coming from inside the SC.

I am getting really frustrated and almost ready to send this POS back to Stillen.

trying to stay calm. I do love the power and the whine. I don't want comments like, get a turbo or **** like that. I need help trying to figure out what is wrong.

PLEASE HELP!!!!

Old 06-28-2006, 12:06 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
who installed it, take it back to them.

Old 06-28-2006, 12:12 AM
English dude, English
GRD in Naperville IL.

Old 06-28-2006, 08:34 AM
Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts
if you can do this,take off the 6rib front belt,just loosen the pulley center bolt and loosen the adjuster on the side.be careful the adjuster lossens the opposite direction you would normally do.take the belt off,its easy to do.start car and see if the noise is gone or still there(you can run the car with the blower not running)at least that way you can narrow down the noise.pm me if you need to.i have to replace that belt this morning due to noise.

Old 06-28-2006, 02:22 PM
English dude, English
As far as the belt squeal, well, I took it to a belt shop. Stillen sent me a new belt, shim kit, and idler pulley. I had the belt shop put all 3 items on the car, and guess what? The squeal is gone, and so far the knocking is gone. I'll let you know more tomorrow because it seems like when the engine starts to warm up the knocking goes away. I'll wait until the engine is completely cool and recheck everything. Again, thanks for being part of this G35driver family and helping me out with suggestions.

Old 06-28-2006, 02:28 PM
thats the kinda news i like to hear.its weird with this kit,my rerouted power st belt started squealing and it also made a knocking noise(dont know how it knocked)retightened it and no more noise.this happened quite a while ago,but it still pisses you off dosent it.i hope your problem is gone.

Old 06-29-2006, 11:53 AM
Originally Posted by Skyline_G35
GRD in Naperville IL.
Slyline I'm in the area and was going to use GRD for whatever and if ever I decide to go FI. How was your experience with them?

You can PM me if its not appropiate for the public forum.

Thanks.

Old 06-30-2006, 02:18 PM
i think grd is great when it comes to aps systems. other applications they could care less about because they don't have to worry about reputation. another local guys had a vortech put in by them and it was a mess. next time take it to ultimatez in streamwood. that's where i had my stillen put in. really good price and the owner - chris knows his stuff. glad to hear that your problem went away.

Old 06-30-2006, 10:37 PM
English dude, English
A new problem came up today. My belt that was replaced is squealing like crazy at start up and after a few minutes the noise goes away. When the noise goes away, I can smell burning rubber. This is going to be never ending. Maybe I need to get a gator belt.

Old 06-30-2006, 11:18 PM
i had the same issue when i first installed the blower. we had to go with a modiefied pulley and adjust a few times for a perfect fit. it does wear off with time and about 1 x per year i have to go for readjustment. it does squel in the winter time when you first start the car. it goes away in a minute but it's loud. i know it's a ride to nw burbs, but call chris at ultimatez. he is very experienced with my car and probably will fix the car in no time. also, do you have the optional warranty? if so, it should all be covered.

Old 07-01-2006, 01:44 AM
Former G35driver Vendor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Tightening the belts is very simple.

Loosen A to tighten B than tighten A when done.
Loosen C to tighten D than tighten C when done.

You should know how to change the belt on your own on the side of the road just in case.

Old 07-01-2006, 09:26 AM
Originally Posted by rookie
Tightening the belts is very simple.

Loosen A to tighten B than tighten A when done.
Loosen C to tighten D than tighten C when done.

You should know how to change the belt on your own on the side of the road just in case.
the stillen reroutes the power steering belt,so its different then the pic shows.but the tightening sequence is the same.

Old 07-01-2006, 09:28 AM
Originally Posted by Skyline_G35
A new problem came up today. My belt that was replaced is squealing like crazy at start up and after a few minutes the noise goes away. When the noise goes away, I can smell burning rubber. This is going to be never ending. Maybe I need to get a gator belt.
they prolly didnt tighten up the power st belt enough.it will feel tight to the installer but has to be tighted even more.dont use goodyear gator belts,only use the gates they dont stretch as much.

Last edited by superchargedg; 07-01-2006 at 09:30 AM.
Old 07-01-2006, 04:05 PM
I've tightened that PS belt at least 5 or 6 times already and when I look at that screw from the bottom, there is not much more to go. I think i maybe have 4 turns left before it is fully tightened. Once the PS is tightened, the squeel would lessen but after a week or two, it would come back. Is that the same problem with everyone else?

Old 07-01-2006, 11:15 PM
mine is really bad during the winter time. during the summer - no issues.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Huge Problems! Dud Stillen Sc?