Forced Induction Discussion of turbos , superchargers , and nitrous upgrades on the G35

Turbo Manifold in the Makes!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-06-2006, 08:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Shavel
If I had the money (and I don't right now), I'd like to take the TN kit and fit a verticle flow FMIC. I'd think it'd be a little more effiecient. That kit is supposed to be compatibale with aftermarket headers, but I think the thermal properties of the stockers are better then the aftermarkets.
I agree on the stock headers over aftermarket non turbo designed headers. However Im not a big fan of a Single turbo on the Z.

Old 07-06-2006, 10:25 AM
Originally Posted by MRC Motorsports
I agree on the stock headers over aftermarket non turbo designed headers. However Im not a big fan of a Single turbo on the Z.
He's probably right. The stock ones do have that thermal shield within the header itself. At any rate all turbo manifolds should be coated and it wouldnt hurt to do the turbo as well. Youre always going to need a heat shield as well. If a design can be drawn up for the turbo to sit nearer to the oil pan as does in the APS kit,then Im going to try and fab up a heatshield somehow. I also like the idea of the plate that APS uses. Though I dont know the heat dissipating properties of it, it does seem to protect the turbo.

On another note: Why dont you like single turbo VQs?

Old 07-06-2006, 11:33 AM
single

That's understandable. Twins on a V-engine, single on an inline.

Those used greddy kits are getting to be a pretty good price. St. Louis has stupid emmission laws though. Someday maybe.....

Old 07-06-2006, 11:49 AM
Originally Posted by Shavel
That's understandable. Twins on a V-engine, single on an inline.

Those used greddy kits are getting to be a pretty good price. St. Louis has stupid emmission laws though. Someday maybe.....

Well heres how I look at it... By no means am I a physicist, but physic's class has taught me a few things.

If you take into consideration the Law of Thermodynamics,The First Law of Thermodynamics (Conservation) states that energy is always conserved, it cannot be created or destroyed. In essence, energy can be converted from one form into another.

SO... If you look at in that context having twin turbos, mind you they are offset or at least should be, then you have a larger surface area to work with(potential), but quicker spool time(energy in motion). I don't know how the turbo builders do their math, but more air=more power, not more surface area. So why does a single turbo make more power than a twin turbo? Well for 1 youre using 1 large turbo, opposed to two small(er) turbos. 2: The centrifical force in a single turbo set-up should be higher, because it only has to go through 1 side (thats why there is much more power applied). The only thing that concerns me is the other exhaust side. If there's no turbo over there, then the suction coming from the other side should create the lag in spool time. Correct?

All in all 1 turbo can/will make more power under given circumstances, but not in all applications. There's many criteria it has to meet first. I still think a single turbo set-up is better, even though I have nothing against twin turbo. I wish that Nissan would have stuck with the RB style motor.

Old 07-06-2006, 12:23 PM
Originally Posted by G.Ride
Why dont you like single turbo VQs?
Having driven every single power adder set up for the 350Z and G35, I can honestly say the ST lack that real BRAKE YOUR KNECK low end TQ of the TT kits. My car made 560ft TQ at 3800 rpms, there is not a single turbo kit available for the Z/G that can reproduce that feeling... I look at it this way, there are plenty of 1000hp supras out there that dont make 500ft lbs till 6000 rpms, this set up is good for one thing only, going straight fast. on a true street car the throttle response and hard acceleration is very important in the lower RPM range. This is why in my opinion, and Im sure someone will come here to debate it the TT set up is far better than a ST set up. Take advantage of all that displacement and boost it with the twins!!

Old 07-06-2006, 12:34 PM
Having driven every single power adder set up for the 350Z and G35, I can honestly say the ST lack that real BRAKE YOUR KNECK low end TQ of the TT kits. My car made 560ft TQ at 3800 rpms, there is not a single turbo kit available for the Z/G that can reproduce that feeling... I look at it this way, there are plenty of 1000hp supras out there that dont make 500ft lbs till 6000 rpms, this set up is good for one thing only, going straight fast. on a true street car the throttle response and hard acceleration is very important in the lower RPM range. This is why in my opinion, and Im sure someone will come here to debate it the TT set up is far better than a ST set up. Take advantage of all that displacement and boost it with the twins!!
I get where you are coming from. You dont think a Gt42R wont make that kind of power?

Old 07-06-2006, 01:33 PM
Originally Posted by G.Ride
I get where you are coming from. You dont think a Gt42R wont make that kind of power?
The bigger the turbo, the bigger the low end lag..Do you want a Z that makes 800whp but only from 6000-7000 rpms?

Old 07-06-2006, 02:20 PM
The bigger the turbo, the bigger the low end lag..Do you want a Z that makes 800whp but only from 6000-7000 rpms?

Very true!

Old 07-06-2006, 05:30 PM
Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts
this may not be a g35 or 350z but check out this guy's v6 turbo camry that he put together himself. http://www.geocities.com/leunghomepage/

Old 07-07-2006, 03:33 PM
Originally Posted by accordfreak
this may not be a g35 or 350z but check out this guy's v6 turbo camry that he put together himself. http://www.geocities.com/leunghomepage/
Thanks for the link bro!