Forced Induction Discussion of turbos , superchargers , and nitrous upgrades on the G35

FI really worth the investment?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 09:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You can always check out this route too for anyone having problems finding places locally and wanting it done right.

http://www.my350z.com/forum/showthread.php?t=269682

Old 05-07-2007, 10:04 AM
its not an investment...

Old 05-07-2007, 10:45 AM
Twins are Always Better
Originally Posted by KPierson
Old thread, but here is my opinion:

It's not an 'investment' it is an 'expense'. You will put a bunch of money in to it but you really won't get anything buy enjoyment out of it.

If done right you shouldn't have problems. I've had my built motor and APS TT for over a year now and the only problems I seem to have our minor ones that arn't a big deal. I don't have any codes and the car idles and drives great.

Looking back could I have spent the money in a different way? Probably, but I enjoy the car, I enjoy having something different, and I enjoy pulling on sports cars owners with big egos!
-------------------------------------------------------------------

^ + 1,000,000 - agreed

When I thought about adding that much HP to the G, the only thing I thought about was how awesome its going to be when shes done!

And it is by far aweosme!

If I would do this whole experience over again (twins, shipping her to cali, spending endless $$) not only would I do it again, but I would do it on manual and make it the track car

Old 05-07-2007, 11:04 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by BrocksG
$15,070 for a JWT TT kit installed on stock internals for 420-440whp.
$10,000 for just the JWT TT Kit installed for 380wp

I'd love to have the car but I'm having a hard time justifying 15,000 here haha. Especially if it is going to give me problems, like the PA emission tests, I had a performance car before and they would not pass emissions if any codes existed, even if the CEL was off! -Cuz i tried to pull the bulb out ;D hehe

What are you guys doing? Paying cash straight up, or getting a loan, etc. I can't find a reliable place around me that will do the install, only a place 3+ hours away and thats making it that much more difficult for the decision.

I'm near Philadelphia PA, King of Prussia, PA, but specifically Pottstown, PA. There is a place called performance specialties but they deal with mustangs mostly, I'd hate to take my import there =[ What do you guys think I should do? I was willing to pay 13,000 but they couldnt get it any where closer to my budget and they are over 3 hours away, sooooooo yea...

I actually have a lift, do you guys think i could put it on and have a place tune it for me? I've helped build an engine before and I could have plenty of people help me do it that have done them before, but I'm not sure if its worth it or not to risk it with the help of my uncle and cousin and do it myself. I know everything I need. What would you guys do? I can get all of the parts in for $10,300 I think ;D Maybe like 12,300 worse case scenerio.
If you can do it all by yourself I would do it. You could probably spend less than 10,300 everything you need. The only problem with doing it yourself is that you not only need a lift, the crane to lift out your engine, since all TT kits for our cars pretty much require the turbo assembly to be done on an engine that has bee ripped out of our car.

Old 05-07-2007, 11:33 AM
i have 18 cars that you could drive and figure out for yourself what you want to do =)

Old 05-07-2007, 12:25 PM
another way to look at the question is to look at how much money people spend on stereo systems/rims/suspension/etc. Modding...hell, OWNING a car is expensive, even if you keep it stock. How so? Easy...you don't get your money back on a car (unless you happen to restore a classic). As others have said, it comes down to personal preference and what you can stomach spending. For example, I'll use my Titan. I've dumped almost 7K into SUSPENSION ALONE, but I can't stomach spending a grand for an in-dash navi unit (even though I want one) b/c I feel thats too much money.

The question you asked really can only be answered by you. Everyone on this thread will give you pros and cons for FI, but ultimately the decision comes down to you. But if you just want to give your ride more power, there's a lot of economically feasible ways to do that (s/c, out of box tune for the greddy kits).

Old 05-07-2007, 01:17 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
$8,000 - APS TT kit
$10,000 - GTM built shortblock including labor/install
$3000 - HKS Fcon iS + fuel goodies + tuning

churning out 518 rwhp/520 lbs through blood and sweat (DIY turbo install) and a teared new one from my deprived wallet? - PRICELESS

KPierson explained it best... it's an expense. but, it's fun... too much fun.

Old 05-07-2007, 05:53 PM
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
You only live once and life is way too short. If you have a passion for it and you can afford it, then don't miss your chance.

Old 05-07-2007, 07:08 PM
Originally Posted by redg35chic
-------------------------------------------------------------------

^ + 1,000,000 - agreed

When I thought about adding that much HP to the G, the only thing I thought about was how awesome its going to be when shes done!

And it is by far aweosme!

If I would do this whole experience over again (twins, shipping her to cali, spending endless $$) not only would I do it again, but I would do it on manual and make it the track car
i'll sell you a used 6mt tranny if you want it for cheap! still in tact and 10k miles on it, lemme know

Old 05-08-2007, 07:18 AM
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rcdash
You only live once and life is way too short. If you have a passion for it and you can afford it, then don't miss your chance.
Just make sure you can afford to do it right, and then afford to fix it if it breaks!

A lot of people don't understand the 'accessories' that are highly recomended to go FI. If you are trying to set a budget for FI, then FI probably isn't for you.

Old 05-08-2007, 09:31 AM
Twins are Always Better
Just make sure you can afford to do it right, and then afford to fix it if it breaks!

A lot of people don't understand the 'accessories' that are highly recomended to go FI. If you are trying to set a budget for FI, then FI probably isn't for you.
well put again pierson!

---------------------------------

no thanks on the tranny, but thanks for the offer

Old 05-08-2007, 09:44 PM

^^^^+100

Old 05-08-2007, 10:20 PM
bLo
I was quoted 10,500 for the greddy twin setup with the utech and custom routing for the bov. This was from a shop in the Novi michigan area. I never took it further but 15k seems a bit high.

Might consider a single turbo setup. It's a bit cheaper and I hear that it's an easier install (maybe do it yourself).

Or just buy a viper.

Old 05-08-2007, 10:34 PM
greddy is pretty DIY (need some power tools tho to cut the front bumper beam off) but apparently the APS ST, TN ST, and Vortech S/C are supposed to be pretty simple...either way

GReddy TT Kit w/ FMIC should be around $5500-6000
UTEC should be about $800
Rerouting BOV? couldn't be more than $350 I would think
--------------------------------------------------
approximately $7200 + Labor

should be no more than $9k altogether (that's just my honest opinion tho since i've been up and down this road many times)

my greddy tt install was $1200 (for like 18hrs of labor), try to get a flat rate if you can just in case the shop goes over

Old 05-10-2007, 07:03 PM
Premier Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
So from what I've read in this thread so far....
For Cali everyday drivers (me) considering FI:

S/C on stock internals should give me 380-400 whp, and still pass smog, maintain warranty, and not be too dangerous to the drive train (with proper tune, and not driving like a red-line maniac ). If I'm looking for more than 400, the smart move would be use the mod $$ to trade up to a V8 platform that already is built for 400+, and will pass smog, and will not blow up. Again , coming from a Cali perspective.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: FI really worth the investment?