Forced Induction Discussion of turbos , superchargers , and nitrous upgrades on the G35

Vortech dyno and impressions + youtube vids

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 06:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vortech dyno and impressions + youtube vids

Well i've been trying to hold this off but I guess the least I could do is just post up a dyno I've been MIA for awhile because my car has been in the shop for the last 3-4 months! I've had a fair share of problems and my expected budget for going FI has shot through the roof because of these circumstances. One thing i've learned is that if you are going to go FI, avoid getting a used kit because you will get nothing but headaches! Although I did get an awesome deal, the problems and troubles were definitely not worth it.

Some of the problems I had included bad bearings on the SC, belt slip issues, fuel pump turning on and off under boost, problem with the entire bracket assembly which caused my sc to consistently rub my engine making a HORRIBLE noise, boosting only at 5 psi (due to belt slip).. yada yada yada

I finally got the car back and I still have not really had a chance to go nuts on it yet because my sideskirt got damaged at the shop so driving around with 1 skirt missing is pretty embarassing. But ultimately, the car sounds like a BEAST! The BOV is pretty mesmerizing and it is a completely different feeling. Speed wise, I can tell there is a increase in power, however, I feel that it is not THAT fast. I think that is a bad sign for me because I do not have the funding to add power! I was hoping that I would be satisfied with the power.. but we'll see. I haven't really driven it all that much yet.

FI Parts:
Polished vortech
3.12 pulley
gates belt
jwt oil pan spacer
split second box
1 step colder plugs
defi boost, fuel pressure, oil temperature
innovate wideband A/F gauge
greddy catch can

Dyno:

373whp and 320tq.. pretty big increase I suppose..

And finally here are a couple of videos I made:

(video of the startup and shutdown of DEFI and innovate gauge)

(simple revving of the SC)

In the end, I am pretty happy with what I have. Im currently boosting at around 8-9psi and the recording/peak/warning for the Defi gauges is just simply awesome. I will probably have a new photoshoot soon after I install my kuruma bumper!

Big thanks to driftgt350 for the rides, sam@gtm, meechin@street image, marty for the support, and everyone else who's been keeping up with me.. it has been a bumpy ride but I'm glad I pulled through!

Last edited by imalazeeass; 04-02-2007 at 06:46 AM.
Old 04-02-2007, 08:38 AM
Banned
Congrats !
Sounds like all your problems came from the ...install ....of the used kit . Not the used kit itself . Glad you got it al sorted out .

Old 04-02-2007, 08:54 AM
Congrats man!! Very nice, i'm sure you're happy with the results, even though you had to deal with some issues. How come your TQ is so low? Need to make some vids of it in action!

Old 04-02-2007, 09:26 AM
G35driver Addict
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
those gauges look awesome.

Old 04-02-2007, 12:04 PM
Originally Posted by imalazeeass

Speed wise, I can tell there is a increase in power, however, I feel that it is not THAT fast. I think that is a bad sign for me because I do not have the funding to add power! I was hoping that I would be satisfied with the power.. but we'll see. I haven't really driven it all that much yet.
I'm curious when you said you were not satisfied with the speed on the 3.12 pulley. What RPM were you shifting? I'm pretty sure that you know that below 4K there's not much power for this kind of SC.

Old 04-02-2007, 12:19 PM
thanks for the post!
That's not a bad dyno at all for basically a bone stock car with the vortech +3.12 pulley. The dyno is spot on to what I'd expect - maybe even 5whp better than I'd normally guess for that setup

you're running the stock clutch too right?

If you had a lighter weight clutch, 2.87 pulley + larger injectors etc, more open exhaust, and maybe the 3.9 final drive, it's a totally different car.

I mean, just adding those parts NA (well not counting the 2.87 pulley or SC) makes a huge difference in response, so combining them with the SC starts getting pretty brutal.

You can clearly understand why people with somewhat stock cars put on the vortech with the 3.33 pulley and are not all that impressed....Even with the 3.12 pulley with stock exhaust, flywheel, gearing etc, you don't seem really thrilled - but you probably just need to get to at least 4000 rpms at WOT a few times to feel the potential of what your car is going to be capable of doing

driving it around normally, from 3000 rpms and below, you only gained about 40 tq over stock. If you had all the NA bolt on parts including cams, you'd also gain 40 tq over stock. The 2.87 pulley would then move the tq curve 500-700 rpms sooner so you'd hit the bigger tq that much earlier in the powerband. A lighter clutch/flywheel will make you naturally drive at higher rpms to avoid the clutch shuttering noise that occurs at 2200 rpms or less unless you're in 1st gear. The 3.9 final drive would naturally raise you 10.7% rpms and give you that much more gear tq so the car will feel more torquey. Anyway, those are the things you can think about for possible future upgrades

I wish my defi gauges had programmable peak lights

Last edited by sentry65; 04-02-2007 at 12:35 PM.
Old 04-02-2007, 03:32 PM
Thanks guys. The tq seems to be on par with what ive seen with majority of the other vortech systems. Ive been shifting at about 6k rpm so for sure it's over 3k rpm. But like I said, i just need to drive it more often but thats after I get my sideskirt back The main problem I had with getting the used sc was that I had to send it to vortech for repair, which took a long time. They also charged me $500 on repair charges. Thats the reason why everything took so friggin long.

Thanks for the tips sentry i'm definately looking into the flywheel/clutch combo next. I'm probably not going to use the 2.87 pulley for fear of blowing up.

Old 04-02-2007, 03:36 PM
Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
Numbers look good! Did you go with a conservative tune? Usually we see the vortech kits making at least 400, but i cant complain about your "conservative tune" because it is still 120 WHP more than mine probably.

-Sean

Old 04-02-2007, 03:41 PM
yea i definately went with a conservative tune. I actually told him that I wanted around 350-360 from the start because i'm pretty paranoid of engine failure. So maybe when I have enough saved up I'll tune it more dangerously

Old 04-02-2007, 04:01 PM
in the outside video of you reving the car, how hard were you pushing the throttle? Were you easing into the throttle or were you stepping on it as hard as you can? It seemed like it was reving up kinda slow

Old 04-02-2007, 04:02 PM
i was indeed revving it up pretty slow. It was nothing like the rev video you had of your car hahaha. I will make a better one

Old 04-02-2007, 04:12 PM
^ More Vids!!!!

Old 04-02-2007, 04:15 PM
Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts
I want to see a revup video from the OTHER side of your cas, hahaha

Congrats on going FI. I sometimes feel the same way as you do...the FI doesn't feel THAT much faster. But my mind changes when I give rides or have a friendly run with a car or look at my track time I'm sure you will love it once you get everything 100%...I bet all the downtime and the sideskirt issue has got you down a bit.

Old 04-02-2007, 04:17 PM
Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts
And I thought you bought a new bumper??

Old 04-02-2007, 04:27 PM
Originally Posted by imalazeeass
yea i definately went with a conservative tune. I actually told him that I wanted around 350-360 from the start because i'm pretty paranoid of engine failure. So maybe when I have enough saved up I'll tune it more dangerously

gotta pay to play

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Vortech dyno and impressions + youtube vids