Forced Induction Discussion of turbos , superchargers , and nitrous upgrades on the G35

Vortech dyno and impressions + youtube vids

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-11-2007, 12:50 PM
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Looks great and sounds great. With what you have done I think your numbers are very respectable.

If you are paranoid about engine failure but you are still wanting to increase your whp I would highly recommend opening up your exhaust (including the cat) if you are planning to go through another round of tuning. This has been shown in many cases to lower your intake pressure (boost) while maintaining your hp/tq curves essentially providing you a safer tune.

My car was built in California on 91 octane and passed emissions with Injen TD and Kinetix HF cat. The last dyno run showed the numbers in my sig at less than 6psi.

My car has been to several track sessions and 1/4 mile dragstrip runs and has never had any (serious) issues. I had to replace the bearings in the cog assembly probably due to the belt being overtightened but this was really a minor issue.

I'm about to pass 44,000 miles, 30,000 of which have been Vortech boosted!

Old 04-11-2007, 12:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wow congrats! I thought about upgrading my cats for some time now but I keep reading about them cracking (crawford as well as kinetix) so i'm still on the fence on this. Seems like you have had no issues but I guess it really is a hit or miss. In any event, i'm more than happy with what my car is making (hp wise) so I'm probably not going to try to push the limits here. The only thing I want to look into is regarding why i'm only getting 7 psi on the 3.12 pulley. As you mentioned, i'm wary of over tightening my belt now due to the bearings going bad which was a huge mess for me, but I still feel that that may be the culprit to the low psi. I'll probably test it out when I change belts in the future.

On a side note, I noticed I was getting a little belt shredding around the cog belt.. not sure if that is normal or not but it is very little. More like dust I would say. Any experiences with that? I know belt dust is a sign of the belt being too tight, but just wondering if a LITTLE is ok since it seems to be unavoidable at some point, right?

Old 04-11-2007, 01:19 PM
Remember that my suggestion to open the exhaust is recommended moreso to create a safer tune by lowering intake boost while maintaining power. Another great mod is the Motordyne ISO thermal plenum spacer as it will isolate your upper plenum from the hot engine block. This just leads to cooler intake temps which will always be safer for the motor.

The bearing problem I had was inside the cog and not the blower itself. I did the investigative work myself to figure that out by simply removing the cog belt from the blower and still hearing the loud whining sound. The cog belt itself does not need to be very tight ... that's why a cog belt is used here instead of a serpentine.

I ordered the 2 bearings that sit inside the cog assembly directly from Vortech and installed them myself (with a little help from a mechanic friend). It really wasn't a difficult job, just a little time consuming. The bearings only cost $30 for both so it wasn't expensive. There is a long thread here somewhere detailing that journey if you are interested...

Is it your cog belt or serp belt that is shredding? My cog belt is "shaved" just slightly on the cog side of the belt but it has never become a problem. Belt dust is going to happen no matter what, you will see it all over your K&N filter when you go to clean it. Just keep an eye on it and make sure to take a peek at your belts about every 1500 miles or so. This is especially important if your belts are new because they could stretch just a little...

Old 04-11-2007, 01:24 PM
I would be very interested to find out more details about your Greddy catch can install. I have needed to install catch can forever now but I just haven't come across a clean solution for the Vortech.

My oil vent feeds back into the K&N filter so there is a great deal of vacuum. I see the oil on the blower impeller when I change out the filter and have also seen oil residue in the bypass valve. I am scared to see what it looks like inside the plenum!

Old 04-12-2007, 09:14 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BeerViper
I would be very interested to find out more details about your Greddy catch can install. I have needed to install catch can forever now but I just haven't come across a clean solution for the Vortech.
+1
Also, do we need connecting both banks to the catch can or use two cans? Thanks

Congrats on Vortech.