Forced Induction Discussion of turbos , superchargers , and nitrous upgrades on the G35

vortech dyno 477.8 whp 383 tq

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-25-2007, 10:11 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
very nice.

Old 04-25-2007, 12:14 PM
thanks guys

Old 04-25-2007, 05:53 PM
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by sentry65
I think HKS and UTEC just want their own dedicated sensor.

Sam told me that the Fcon reacts dramatically faster to knock with pulling timing etc than the stock ECU can. It has a faster processor and probably more sensitivity

I'd assume the UTEC wants it's own sensor since it gets its information after the ECU has already read it and made adjustments to timing. If the UTEC operates off of a "target A/F and timing" type of adjustment based on the offset timing and A/F coming from the ECU. So if the ECU detected knock and pulled timing, I bet if the UTEC didn't have it's own knock amp sensor, it would try to add the timing back in to reach the designated preset target? Just guessing

thanks BrianlG35C
The UTEC can read the stock knock sensor and can even adjust it's sensitivity to that sensor (i.e. it does not rely upon the stock ECU thresholds for knock). It's the tuner pro add-on that has the additional knock sensor. I don't know that the UTEC uses this external sensor at all for pulling timing (it's more of a tuning tool with the tuner pro and you can hook up headphones to it and it has LEDs etc).

The UTEC does get the ECU timing but you can ignore it completely and run timing and fuel completely standalone. It's nice in the logs because you can see stock ECU timing vs. UTEC timing. You can also see where the ECU pulls timing because of knock and the UTEC doesn't cause of different thresholds etc.

Great #s btw. The FCON is a technical masterpiece no doubt. If it was a little closer to the UTEC, might've sprung for it...

Old 04-25-2007, 06:22 PM
Way to go big pimpin!

Old 04-25-2007, 10:38 PM
thanks

That makes sense about the knock sensor and Utec
I talked with Sam yesterday and he said the Fcon actually does use the factory knock sensor.

on another note, I just did some hard driving and I have full traction in 2nd gear with no passenger, no spare tire, or other misc stuff in the rear hatch area, and about 90% full tank of gas. This was with my 455whp 91 octane map anyway. I'll have to try the 96 octane map later with full race gas

1st gear loses traction after about 5200 rpms though, but the car doesn't go sideways or anything out of control. The tires just studder and spin a little

Last edited by sentry65; 04-25-2007 at 11:07 PM.
Old 04-27-2007, 05:28 PM
Banned
Sentry
I saw the video of your WOT 2nd gear run from 2500rpm's . Bummer dude...bummer . Cant even break the tires loose in 2nd [ WITH ] 3.9 rear gears . Bummer dude...bummer !!!

Old 04-27-2007, 10:12 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by rcdash
The UTEC can read the stock knock sensor and can even adjust it's sensitivity to that sensor (i.e. it does not rely upon the stock ECU thresholds for knock). It's the tuner pro add-on that has the additional knock sensor. I don't know that the UTEC uses this external sensor at all for pulling timing (it's more of a tuning tool with the tuner pro and you can hook up headphones to it and it has LEDs etc).

The UTEC does get the ECU timing but you can ignore it completely and run timing and fuel completely standalone. It's nice in the logs because you can see stock ECU timing vs. UTEC timing. You can also see where the ECU pulls timing because of knock and the UTEC doesn't cause of different thresholds etc.

Great #s btw. The FCON is a technical masterpiece no doubt. If it was a little closer to the UTEC, might've sprung for it...
Great summary. Both the UTEC and FCON Knock-Amp both use the factory knock sensor. The sensor is not the issue...rather its the method and nature in which the UTEC and FCON react to the knock events. The TXS tuner pro comes with an additional knock sensor, but it is simply used for the tuner to listen to knock with headphones....but the UTEC doesnt do anything with this new knock sensor input....it still listens on the OEM knock sensor like it normally does.

Raj, I got an FCON with your name on it if you change your mind...hehe...