Forced Induction Discussion of turbos , superchargers , and nitrous upgrades on the G35

Utec Install Trouble

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 03:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Utec Install Trouble

I have the 350z utec going on my 03 G35 Coupe and it seems that the factory ECU bracket just wont fit on the ecu after i have it mounted on the UTEC, andyone have a solution for this?

Old 05-23-2007, 04:20 PM
The Pole
The UTEC is actually ALOT tougher to get into the G than the Z.. Basically what you 'should' do is take the bracket off, and zip-tie it.. Thats what I did and what a majority of the peeps do to get it in there.. You will have to use 2 and tie them together to make 1 long one. There is a metal part that you can tie the UTEC/ ECU too, just to the front/ top of the UTEC..

The UTEC will hang down just a little bit but out of the way of any passengers..

Old 05-23-2007, 04:23 PM
...we dont need roads...

Ill be installing one tonight on a coupe and will try to get some pics of the process and outcome.

Old 05-23-2007, 04:24 PM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
there is no easy way to do it or explain how to do it. as NIKE used to say, "Just Do It!!!"

it will fit in there, but you have to be creative.

Old 05-23-2007, 04:34 PM
The Pole
Originally Posted by SKYLINE_GT
Ill be installing one tonight on a coupe and will try to get some pics of the process and outcome.

Good Luck..

Old 05-23-2007, 11:21 PM
Originally Posted by KenK2
Good Luck..
well we had no such luck... i tried to zip tie the UTEC to the ecu and that worked but trying to get it to fit in with the factory bracket just wont work... i am going to do like KenK2 said and just zip tie the two together then zip tie it in the spot of where it would mount with the bracket... hopefully it will work...

Old 05-24-2007, 12:05 AM
Must Go Faster!!

just use a dremel and cut it!!!!

Old 05-24-2007, 01:07 AM
...we dont need roads...

^^Yeah, your theory, cut first ask questions later.....

Old 05-24-2007, 07:54 AM
Florida G35 Club, General Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I cut the bracket, but it still sticks out... easier or map switching and reflashing though If you zip tie, make sure u give it proper ground... some people have had issues with bad grounding....

Old 05-24-2007, 07:55 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
its easy!! i do it all the time.

Old 05-24-2007, 01:40 PM
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
This is how I did it:

Remove all studs sticking out of case (required to void warranty by removing sticker - but I've had my replaced under warranty - TurboXS is understanding).

I then cut one of the mounting lips off the UTEC.

This leaves a metal box that will fit inside the ECU mounting bracket. I then used double sided tape to tape the OEM ECU and the UTEC to the bracket. Make sure you install the OEM ECU UPSIDE DOWN and that the UTEC is mounted so that the wires and map switch are on the bottom. Be careful when stuffing the UTEC up in to the dash, as the exposed wires will come close to the metal underdash and this provides a danger zone.

I then finished with a big zip tie (or 4 small ones) around the bodies of both ECUs. I mounted the bracket back in the car, like stock, and nutted it down.

With a little finessing the bottom piece WILL fit back on, and the car will look completely stock. Most people leave the UTEC hanging out the bottom a little, mine fits in and you can't tell its there. It took me about three adjustments to make it fit perfect when I replaced it the other night (warranty). Its a pain, because you have to keep putting everything back together to see if that bottom piece will fit. If you are patient, and want it down right IT CAN BE DONE.

Old 05-24-2007, 09:29 PM
Banned
Yes it can. Took me 4 nights of cursing Jeremy but I finally got it. I removed that stupid white block that holds two plugs in place. Then I cut off it's bracket and there is one just above that I removed. All went back like nothing ever happened, except for the drips of blood. Oh and I also cut the two wings(?) off the oem ecu to fit a little nicer. Yes zip tied the crap out of it.

Old 05-24-2007, 10:20 PM
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
I cut the upper bolt sticking out of the firewall (above the bolt used for the ECU bracket). And I cut the bracket off that holds the wire harness where the TCM used to go (to the right of the ECU). With no bracket (large wire tie only) I got the UTEC to fit without any cutting to the UTEC or the stock ECU, but there was no way to put the black piece back on because the distance from the top of the serial plug (at the top for me) and the bottom wire connector (which connects the stock ECU wiring harness to the UTEC) was about 1 inch too long as far as I could tell.

It all looks fine afterwards (as long as no one kicks their feet up should be fine).

Old 05-24-2007, 10:59 PM
Grocery getter

Received 189 Likes on 59 Posts
I was able to fit mine but it is tight.

Old 05-24-2007, 11:33 PM
GTT
G35 Twin Turbo
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here is some pictures from my installation

Hope it help

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Utec Install Trouble