Forced Induction Discussion of turbos , superchargers , and nitrous upgrades on the G35

What internals to upgrade if going Turbonetics?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-22-2007, 07:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What internals to upgrade if going Turbonetics?

Hello, I just came upon some cash.. so I am seriously thinking about going forced induction. I have read good things about the turbonetics that it is rather good priced and does not need a lot of supporting mods to run safely. Anyways, my question is, what, if any, internals would be wise to upgrade if I was getting the turbonetics kit. Also, what more would I need besides the kit to run safely at ~8-9psi.

Oh also, how much would you estimate I would be spending total including install etc.

Thanks in advance!

Old 06-22-2007, 07:21 PM
search on my350z.com...someone here is bound to bring it up, since they have a wealth of knowledge over there.

as for safely running 8-9lbs of boost, it's doable on the stock block, so long as your tune is in order. Not sure if it's necessary, but upgraded clutch probably is a good idea.

Old 06-22-2007, 07:24 PM
Hmm do you think the turbonetics would be the best way to go as far as bang for the buck? I really just want 400hp/400tq at the wheels. I use it for a daily driver as of now so... I need it to be safe lol...

Old 06-22-2007, 07:27 PM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
pay a little more and get the greddy. It is a much nicer kit. I have had both, and there really isn't much of a comparison.

whatever kit you get, get a UTEC or better EMS.

Old 06-22-2007, 07:35 PM
oh yea and ill try my350z too thanks!

Old 06-22-2007, 07:39 PM
Retired SuperMod
Received 101 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by usingthejohn
search on my350z.com...someone here is bound to bring it up, since they have a wealth of knowledge over there.

as for safely running 8-9lbs of boost, it's doable on the stock block, so long as your tune is in order. Not sure if it's necessary, but upgraded clutch probably is a good idea.

Yes, 400hp/400 tq is considered marginaly safe, but anything can happen, even with a good tune & low boost.

If you have the money, I'd do rods, pistons (CR 9:1 or less) and cams atleast.

But your best bet is to talk to a reputable installer and set your goals.

PS. Clutch isnt considered part of the internals on an engine.

Last edited by Skaterbasist; 06-22-2007 at 07:42 PM.
Old 06-22-2007, 07:43 PM
is the greddy really that much better then the turbonetics? Price and installation wise, how much more would you think it costs? I hear you have to get a lot more supporting mods with the greddy... not sure what tho.

Old 06-22-2007, 09:20 PM
Well, it seems to be a hot-button topic, but TT has more potential than an ST does. From what I read and researched, ST kits have had issues w/ boost spike.
In regards to Greddy TT, the general consensus is that the eManage blue is junk, and to quote someone's post on that particular topic: "it's good to get your car started, and nothing more". Straight out of the box, I've read that APS and JWT are very good. But Greddy has more potential for power, should you upgrade internals.

Again, I could be very wrong, but this is just what I understood when reading.

Skaterbasist, I know that a clutch isn't part of internals, just meant it as something that may be worth looking into upgrading.

Old 06-22-2007, 09:52 PM
Hmm yea right now I really dont know which road to take. I dont want to spend an outrageous amount of money right now to build my motor + turbo, that would be like 12k or more, ^_^ maybe right now I should just get a turbo kit and run on stock for a while? I dont know what to do!!! lol

Old 06-22-2007, 11:07 PM
Who me??? NAAAAAAA.
Close friend of mine been running the turbonetics kit on his 350z for the last 26000 miles with 77633 miles stock block. no problems so far pushing 8.5lbs at 392rwhp and i believe about 395 lbs of torque. So i would have to say that its safe and he pushing that thong about 75% of the time.

Old 06-22-2007, 11:10 PM
Really... hmm that might be a good way to go for me at the moment, I dont think I can justify spending 10k+ to upgrade internals and get a turbo kit. right now on the Greddy TT + everything else I would need to run that safely.

Old 06-23-2007, 12:11 AM
Originally Posted by Jining
I have read good things about the turbonetics that it is rather good priced and does not need a lot of supporting mods to run safely. !

TN kit does not come complete in any stretch of the imagination. First it comes with a Reflash Second it comes with a smaller injector (380cc) third you might upgrade the wastegate to really eliminate the boost spike (yes even with the new pipe there is still a spike). I don't know but if you are confident with a reflash then good luck. If you are set with TN then you must get their Tuner Kit and buy better parts to really make it safe.

Old 06-23-2007, 03:21 AM
Hmm, so what do you think the best kit would be to run ~400whp/400tq safely? And how much do you think total including installation?

Thanks for the advice.

Old 06-23-2007, 03:31 AM
Do you think I could run a Greddy TT safely at a low boost on a stock block and then later down the road upgrade internals slowly?

Old 06-23-2007, 07:22 AM
Originally Posted by Jining
Do you think I could run a Greddy TT safely at a low boost on a stock block and then later down the road upgrade internals slowly?

Bingo!!!! If you are going to upgrade down the road than TT is the way to go. APS TT is not a bad kit too and it is the most complete out of the box of all the kit out there. Problem with APS are 1. must go to an authorized dealer to really get a good warranty work. 2. the system come complete but not the best parts. the Unichip is a good EMS below 450whp but it doesn't come with bells and whistle of Utec. It come with a return style fuel but it's not a complete one. Other that that it is good.

Lot's of people are now going with Greddy since it is a tuner kit. Greddy has the most WHP potential of all of them except the APS Extreme kit. I say go with Greddy and trash the EM and go get a UTEC. I say with TT $10-$12 easy w/ gauges. And yes TT can be safe on stock block but stay below 400WHP for now and that goes to any Turbo out there.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What internals to upgrade if going Turbonetics?