Forced Induction Discussion of turbos , superchargers , and nitrous upgrades on the G35

JWT TURBOCHARGER

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-14-2004, 12:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JWT TURBOCHARGER

hey guys i want to upgrade my car and i found thisJWT BALL BEARING TURBOCHARGER and i was wondering what u guys think and how much more power we are talkin about ?

http://www.jimwolftechnology.com/cus...asp?PartID=440

tell me what u guys think ....thanks

Old 03-01-2004, 03:59 AM
Re: JWT TURBOCHARGER

Thats a great, quality turbo. I'm not sure about applying it to the VQ35DE though. It's the ideal turbo for cars like mine (wrx). Its capable of 450whp in our cars. I'm thinking if you are going to run a single turbo, and you want to make some good power, to go with like a t-67 or larger, that would be enough to blow most cars out of the water haha.

Old 03-01-2004, 05:13 PM

i posted a thread about this a while ago but basicly its going to be one of the top turbos i think. JWT has had very good succes with past nissans and there ECUs. The other FI applications dont have much of a solution to the ECU and how it work with FI but i have a feeling that JWT might have a solution... but we will have to wait and see. the turbos sound like good quiltity and are capible of 550HP so sounds really good to me

<a href="mailto:Carlos3186@hotmail....otmail.com</a>

Old 03-02-2004, 01:40 PM

Loren,
You are way off LOL. They do have a kit, maybe you were looking at the wrong section of their site. The turbo "kit" is in the "news" section:

http://www.jimwolftechnology.com/news.asp

'03 G35 Coupe 6spd, briliant silver, all options. Brembo upgrade all 4 corners, 19" Gunmetal LE3T's, HKS Hipermax LS+, HKS Legamax exhaust, Gialla grill.

Old 03-02-2004, 03:17 PM

I think what Loren was trying to explain is that a single turbo is not the way to go for our coupes. However, there are some companies attempting it... I would agree with Loren in stating that Twin turbo setups are the only turbo application that is economically feasible....

Old 03-02-2004, 06:59 PM

Ok I'll extend my comment's. When you go to JWT's web site and you bring up parts for the G35 it will bring up general application turbos, and not the kit. The first part of Lorens post was all I was addressing.

Now to address the comments about the turbo system, some of his info is wrong however, I do agree that a single turbo would be harder to package than a twin on our "V" engines. The length of the down pipes would not affect spool up much unless you are talking about a race car with dump tubes, especually a drag car that is all top end. I think he meant to say that if the manifold runners or "up pipe" like on the WRX were too long it would hurt spool up. That would be a correct statement.
I believe that the Garrett turbo's they are using are smaller than the GT2540 turbo used by HKS and or Garrett GT2540. Both turbine and compressor wheels are smaller. I'm not saying that's bad, I think it's a great size they are using and I'll bet is has almost no lag. If you used a pair of GT2540's it would be laggier for sure especially since that turbo is a funky hibrid. That small turbine wheel trying to spin that rather large compressor (by comparision) makes it a little laggy even considering it's a ballbearing turbo, when comparing it the JWT selection. Forget about a pair of GT2835's, there is no way that is going to spool faster than the turbos JWT have selected. That would be for a high speed car or drag car.
Just to clear up some confusion, say we are going to use the HKS GT2530 for example. It has larger wheels than the Garrett GT2530 from what I have been told. I'm pretty sure that the wheels HKS gets are proprietary to them and not offered on the Garrett line up. So comparing an HKS GT ball bearing turbo to a Garrett of similar name is not comapring apples to apples.
lastly HKS is not develpoing a turbo kit, but they do have a prototype supercharger running on a 350Z that may eventually be offered for the G35's.
Hope that helps.

'03 G35 Coupe 6spd, briliant silver, all options. Brembo upgrade all 4 corners, 19" Gunmetal LE3T's, HKS Hipermax LS+, HKS Legamax exhaust, Gialla grill.

Trending Topics

Old 03-02-2004, 09:56 PM

just to add to this a single turbo would be better because it would provide eqaul pressure and there wouldnt be an imbalance bewteen the turbos. serveral companies have tried to make a sigle turbo kit for the 350z but have found that due to the tight engine bay it is to hard to make a kit. they say it is deffently do able though i will require some cutting. A single turbo would probaly be better on our cars but it doesnt look like it will be easy to do. The JWT turbo set up is a kit they are going to sell. I cant wait for this one... it should be a winner.

Have u herd anythng about the HKS, from what i herd it sounds like either its going to be really good or its going totaly blow.

<a href="mailto:Carlos3186@hotmail....otmail.com</a>

Old 03-02-2004, 11:44 PM

the engine would never see the imbalance between the turbos, since the boost pressure is not additive. in other words...if turbo 1 and turbo 2 are both running at 5 psi, the manifold pressure is still 5 psi. this is typical on twin turbo cars, since manifolds can't be exactly the same due to engine packaging constrictions. you will only be losing efficiency.

Chad

Old 03-03-2004, 08:21 PM

I don't disagree with the twin turbo arguement at all, but I want to throw a spin on things. Consider the fact that with a parallel set up, each turbo is being powered by only three cylinders, instead of 6 cylinders powering one. If there was a way to fit a relatively large turbo in the engine bay, without too long or complex of an exhaust path, a single wouldnt be that bad of an idea. Having that been said, convention usually uses twins on v-6's. There is less of a sacrifice on low end power. If you went with a large single turbo, there would be significantly more lag than twins. If you want to make a drag car out of your g, I say throw on a huge turbo and go. Don't like lag? get shorter gears.

Old 03-03-2004, 10:58 PM

I think if a single could be packaged nice it would be cool also but I think it would be tough to make an efficient manifold. It would probably save some cost also.

On a separate note just because it is a single turbo does not mean it would have to be a big drag set up. If you were targeting 400 like the JWT kit I'll bet something like a GT3040 or 3240 would spool pretty quick (depending on the manifold). If you are going for a street kit though I think Jim Wolf has it right, on a twin you can probably keep the cats in the original locations making easier to get it CARB legal.

'03 G35 Coupe 6spd, briliant silver, all options. Brembo upgrade all 4 corners, 19" Gunmetal LE3T's, HKS Hipermax LS+, HKS Legamax exhaust, Gialla grill.<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small"><EM>Edited by Gabe35Coupe on 03/03/04 08:13 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Old 03-04-2004, 01:40 PM

I don't think anyone thought the JWT kit was a single. Someone commented that they thought a single would be better and I agree with Loren as I said before it would be A: hard to package and B: It would have a manifold design that would be less than ideal and definitely not a good as a twin design.

You are right about having all that extra pipe and it not being a good design.
I have something to say about your twin vs. single comment and about Supra’s. Maybe a little off topic but I will tie it in at the end. I don't think you should say out right that one is better than the other because that is just not true. That a decision one has to make based on what they want (if it is an option).

Like you said on the Supra you have options being that it is an I6. We don't have the luxury of being able to choose like the Supra and Skyline guys as we have a V6 and we already touched on why a twin makes more sense.

As far as comparing a T88 kit and a GT2835 kit on a Supra I don't think that is apples to apples comparison, only the fact that they can produce nearly the same peak power is a common fact. It is also a poor example to apply to our use on a VQ35 IMO because neither would make for a suitable application. I think I can speak some what intelligently on this topic given my experience (see profile) and my last car:
http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4287615225
I’m never they “HEY LOOK AT ME GUY” so sorry if that sounded cocky but I have said in several other posts I don’t know everything!

On a Supra both those set ups are capable of HP #’s in the 700's at the wheels, however the T88 is an old design that has been around for a long time where the GT's have much newer wheel designs (more efficient) and ball bearing center sections. Also the manifold design is better on the HKS (shorter and there are x2), the Greddy single kits do not have a divided manifold so the pulses don't hit the turbine wheel like they would if it was. This helps spool up a little. That being said, I have still seen some T88 powered Supra's run some crazy fast drag ET’s.

This is my example. When I had my Supra (and remember I had options, we G guys don't have the same options because it doesn't make sense). I weight the performance of the HKS GT2835 twin kit and the HKS TO4R (non ball bearing single). Changing the housing to a slightly smaller .86 A/R that was divided (to match the manifold) instead of the larger housing that came on the T04R I was able to make peak boost sooner than the twin would have. The twin made a little more power lower in the power band but the single peaked sooner. Compare the couple grand price difference, the fact that the GT turbo kit had more parts to break or cause problems because there are double the parts and the added weight and that was enough for me to decide to go single. Also if you waste a GT turbo, guess what, you can't get it rebuild or rebalanced easily, you buy a brand new center section (the most expensive part of the turbo) so you better make sure you have air filters and good oil/coolant supply. A T04 can be rebuilt easier. I could argue the other way why the twin is better also but this post is getting long enough! I can go on and on, but basically decide realistically what your power goal is, how you want the power band and select something that makes sense for you after doing your homework. Just weight all your options as one might be better for you vs. the other. In the case of Loren he is in good hand with Jim Wolf, that guy knows more than I do and as for me on my G35 coupe, I am already thinking of how I can get the money together for the JWT kit! Power delivery should be way more usable than my Supra which had a peaky delivery. I know the G can’t make the power I had before on the stock motor, but hey, I understand that and the twin JWT kit makes the most sense for ME at the moment. Hope that helps.

Old 03-04-2004, 01:46 PM

Hey Loren, It looks like we are trying to compete for who can make the longer post LOL! Not trying to pick on you at all thanks for the comments. Hopefully others will get something out of our rants.
Later,

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: JWT TURBOCHARGER