Forced Induction Discussion of turbos , superchargers , and nitrous upgrades on the G35

Venting BOV [ bypass valve ] back into the intake .

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-09-2007, 12:57 PM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Venting BOV [ bypass valve ] back into the intake .

With the T-trim making so much of a loud rushing air sound while cruising and when I let off the throttle . i was going to move my larger BOV to the other side of the IC and pipe the outlet back into the blower intake . I know this will hurt performance slightly because of heating up that air twice . But with my W/M injection , I dont see it being that much of a problem and once the BOV closes its no longer a problem . My intake filter [ cone shaped 12 inches long ] and brake duct hose used for the intake is large enough not to restrict the BOV from releasing the air fast enough to hurt the blower [ compressor surge ] There will be a slightly better throttle response when getting into boost . I know I posted about doing this when I showed pictures of the huge Bypass valve a couple of months ago but I havent got around to doing it because the girlfriend found a house on a lake she just had to have...lol and I havent had time nor money to send the car to the shop to fabricate this up .

So does any one else see a problem I am over looking ?

Attached Thumbnails Venting BOV [ bypass valve ] back into the intake .-pa200001.jpg  

Last edited by booger; 12-09-2007 at 02:08 PM.
Old 12-11-2007, 12:45 PM
With the stock setup, does it recirculate or vent to air?

Being belt driven, I don't see a tangible performance advantage to doing this.

Old 12-11-2007, 02:34 PM
Banned
Im not doing it for a performance advantage at all and I believe it hurts performance . I'm wanting to do it to quiet the system down . The air rushing out of the bpbov is way to loud for me .

Old 12-11-2007, 04:29 PM
Well, in that case, just do it like other setups do. Vent it back in on the intake side feeding the compressor past the MAF sensor. If you're using MAP, it doesn't even matter where on the intake side you route it. Other than blowing some hot air back into the Vortech, its not going to affect anything, you're still venting pressure effectively when off throttle and that's all that matters. Recirculating is a pretty common setup.

Old 12-11-2007, 04:37 PM
Banned
Im using a piggyback right now and the extra air needs to be dumped before the maf , so it doesnt see it when off boost . The ECU controls things unless your in boost . So Im moving the bpbov to the other side of the IC and venting it back into the blower intake .

Old 12-11-2007, 05:45 PM
i.love.gold
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Is there a filter you can throw on there to quiet it down like the other Vortech bypass valve?

Old 12-11-2007, 05:52 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was thinking of fabbing a hose around the bypass valve and routing it directed towards the engine in hopes of quieting it down a little. The only thing is, depending on what you use to fabricate it into the intake tubing, it may still be loud.

Banned
Im sure I can fund one to fit . But it might slow down air flow out of it . Thats was the reason for going to the bigger BPBOV in the first place . The stocker didnt flow enough and caused compressor surge and popped seals in the blower when boosting higher than 18psi . And a filter probably will not quite it down enough .

Banned
Im sure I can fund one to fit . But it might slow down air flow out of it . Thats was the reason for going to the bigger BPBOV in the first place . The stocker didnt flow enough and caused compressor surge and popped seals in the blower when boosting higher than 18psi . And a filter probably will not quite it down enough .

Old 12-12-2007, 10:00 AM
If you're using MAF, wouldn't you want it venting after the MAF on the intake side so it doesn't meter the air twice and go rich? That's why I was asking if the stock Vortech setup recirculated or vented to air.

Old 12-12-2007, 01:06 PM
Banned
The stock Vortech vents to the air . The bpbov is right before the IC . Im going to move it to the other side of the IC and vent it back into the blower intake . This will still be before the MAF and the stock ECU will work as normal at idle and part throttle . The maf never reads any of the air untill the bpbov closes . I have my bpbov adjusted to close at around 1/3 throttle and thats when I get into boost . The MAF will read that air untill I get to WOT and the piggyback [ss box ] starts to take over the tune and reads MAP .