Forced Induction Discussion of turbos , superchargers , and nitrous upgrades on the G35

Dissapointed with RWHP from Vortech Kit on '03 5AT

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 06:59 PM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jaik
Yeah i think I will go for the more boost option.

Not many people have a SS box here in Australia - so it'll be a learning curve for all of us!

JK
Like I said , the R4 program is a simple one and easy to tune for a good tuner . There is just a couple thing you need to know when up loading the maps off of the SS Box and writing back to the SS box.The SS Box and R4 program is more than capable enough to handle the Vortech SC's power . I still have mine on , and had it tuned to 13psi and 420whp on a Mustang Dyno

With the AT5...go ahead and get the 3.12 pulley put on before you tune it . The tranny robs alot of power . The 3.12 will put you up with what a MT6 car makes on the stock pulley.

I would worry about getting it tuned and running right before thinking about the tranny cooler . Or do them both at the same time if you can afford it . But get it tuned right away or dont boost it that much till you do .Like what has been mentioned already.....you may end up washing your piston walls with fuel and damage the walls .

Last edited by booger; 03-06-2008 at 07:03 PM.
Old 03-07-2008, 12:27 AM
Originally Posted by booger
There is just a couple thing you need to know when up loading the maps off of the SS Box and writing back to the SS box.
Do you know what it is I should know? Can you please elaborate?

With the AT5...go ahead and get the 3.12 pulley put on before you tune it . The tranny robs alot of power . The 3.12 will put you up with what a MT6 car makes on the stock pulley.
Yay - might just do that

I would worry about getting it tuned and running right before thinking about the tranny cooler . Or do them both at the same time if you can afford it . But get it tuned right away or dont boost it that much till you do .Like what has been mentioned already.....you may end up washing your piston walls with fuel and damage the walls .
Yeah hopefully I will be able to buy the software and download it from Split Second - cant wait for a CD to be posted out!

Thanks!
JK

Old 03-07-2008, 12:29 AM
Former G35driver Vendor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I sent you a link to download the software. Check your junk mail, it will be from sendthisfile.com

Old 03-07-2008, 08:36 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by jaik
Do you know what it is I should know? Can you please elaborate?

Yay - might just do that

Yeah hopefully I will be able to buy the software and download it from Split Second - cant wait for a CD to be posted out!

Thanks!
JK
Some settings change when you up load the maps off the SS Box . If they are not set back to what they should be before you write the new tune back to the SS Box . The Aux. fuel pump doesnt come on

Old 03-07-2008, 12:40 PM
We have done numerous Vortech set-ups that make anywhere from 329-346 with the 3.12 pulley on the Dyno Dynamics.We have the tune avaialble that is a much better starting point then what Vortech gives you.Pm me if anyone is interested.

Old 03-08-2008, 02:43 AM
Just got my 04 6mt back today

Bought the kit from these forums, cleaned it up, bought new fittings and laid down 2500 for installation and tuning.It makes 302rwhp and 282tq at 6.12 psi boost from 245 stock run same week same dyno. The boys at Brown Brothers put in work on the split second and got my AFR in check, but I was really expecting to see higher rwhp, as 55hp for this kinda cash is not anything to brag about. I have scoured these forums for the advice/info in the weeks leading to the purchase of my G, and weeks afterward deciding to do the best bang for buck upgrade. I lost my shirt (and shoes, socks, pants and jacket) working on my Honda, so was not prepared to crack it open and mess with a good thing. Bolt in and go home was my choice.

I have to say the Vortech was the quietest SC i heard, but I miss the NA sounds the Q35 makes, it is a sweet sounding engine. The Vortech BOV valve does sound pretty sweet, especialy on downshifts before hanging the a$$ end out for a spell.

I guess I need to address the loss of boost, as I thought this was a ~8 psi system, and was looking at some really nice numbers. I know the noob mistake (made it once or twice myself) was confusing bhp with rwhp. I have the Motordyne 1/2" thermal spacer kit as well as an aftermarket mid pipe.

Not only did these guys do a great job, but the mechanic is a good friend, and I dont want to bitch about something I am not an authority on. So any advice as to finding my lost boost and Power? It feels great in the seat, but I imagine an extra ~40hp will feel better, especialy in the wallet.

Thanks in advance and this forum has been great!

Old 03-08-2008, 08:20 AM
Originally Posted by thephoneguy
Bought the kit from these forums, cleaned it up, bought new fittings and laid down 2500 for installation and tuning.It makes 302rwhp and 282tq at 6.12 psi boost from 245 stock run same week same dyno. The boys at Brown Brothers put in work on the split second and got my AFR in check, but I was really expecting to see higher rwhp, as 55hp for this kinda cash is not anything to brag about. I have scoured these forums for the advice/info in the weeks leading to the purchase of my G, and weeks afterward deciding to do the best bang for buck upgrade. I lost my shirt (and shoes, socks, pants and jacket) working on my Honda, so was not prepared to crack it open and mess with a good thing. Bolt in and go home was my choice.

I have to say the Vortech was the quietest SC i heard, but I miss the NA sounds the Q35 makes, it is a sweet sounding engine. The Vortech BOV valve does sound pretty sweet, especialy on downshifts before hanging the a$$ end out for a spell.

I guess I need to address the loss of boost, as I thought this was a ~8 psi system, and was looking at some really nice numbers. I know the noob mistake (made it once or twice myself) was confusing bhp with rwhp. I have the Motordyne 1/2" thermal spacer kit as well as an aftermarket mid pipe.

Not only did these guys do a great job, but the mechanic is a good friend, and I dont want to bitch about something I am not an authority on. So any advice as to finding my lost boost and Power? It feels great in the seat, but I imagine an extra ~40hp will feel better, especialy in the wallet.

Thanks in advance and this forum has been great!
Hi, so it looks like you only made about the same amount of power as me - and really for $6000+ it really isnt good value. I emailed vortech but no response yet.

I wonder if our plenum spacers have anything to do with it? Or if i should look at resealing mine just incase its suffering boost loss? I also have low boost - I would also expect 8psi from this pulley... not 6.

So we both know we are down a few PSI, have a plenum spacer that could effect performance and we're both low on power. Irrespective of dyno type we have almost the same percentage of HP increase - which is waaay below expectation. I would have thought 50% would be in order since we have decent exhausts... and you only got 5HP more than me with decent AFRs.

JK

Old 03-08-2008, 04:21 PM
You should be making mid 300's easily. The only problem I can see is you got a bad blower, you did not install it properly, you have leaks, or you didnt do a good tune. I would send the blower back to vortech and then bring it to another shop for the re-install. You should also look into getting a piggyback system like UTEC if you dont have one already.

Old 03-08-2008, 06:23 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by SlooberTooth
You should be making mid 300's easily. The only problem I can see is you got a bad blower, you did not install it properly, you have leaks, or you didnt do a good tune. I would send the blower back to vortech and then bring it to another shop for the re-install. You should also look into getting a piggyback system like UTEC if you dont have one already.

You dont need a Utec to get the power out of a stock Vortech SC . Both of the guys above arent making the normal power made by stock kits because they arent making full boost . And both need to be tuned right . 6 PSI isnt going to get it . They either have a serp belt slipping or a boost leak . Boost leaks are hard to find because they dont leak until you are in boost putting preasure on the system . Most boost leaks that cant be found are around the edges on a aftermarket plenum or plenum spacer . Adding one or two more gaskets and trq.ing the bolts at the right specs solve 99% of the leaks . I battled the same leak early on with my SC in 2004 . I could never find a leak and my belt was tight as hell , but still could only barely make 7psi at redline . I added two fresh plenum gaskets and that solved the problem . Ive come up with this pipe with a quick release air hose fitting on it . I hook this up to my IC pipe right before the BOV and then cap off the exhaust . I use my air compressor to preasurize the whole system to find any leaks

Attached Thumbnails Dissapointed with RWHP from Vortech Kit on '03 5AT-p2030017.jpg  
Old 03-08-2008, 07:08 PM
Originally Posted by SlooberTooth
The only problem I can see is you got a bad blower, you did not install it properly, you have leaks, or you didnt do a good tune. I would send the blower back to vortech and then bring it to another shop for the re-install.
I find the whole bad blower concept to be fake... in the sense that if its rotating without issue then its not going to have a lack of boost issue... it would be something ancilary to the blower, ie serpent belt tension. I have now down a few hundred miles with the blower on and the last 2 days i hear about 1 second of belt slip when i start the car - so I think i need to retension it.

I dare say that I will redo the plenum spacer and see how that goes aswell.

JK

Old 03-08-2008, 08:21 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
its all in the tune. you should get it professionally tuned. here is a vortech we tuned today on 93 octane . revup with 2.87 pulley. his clutch slipped a bit up top.

this thing moves!!

this is the difference in doing it yourself and paying a shop who has installed many many vortechs. he drove down from north carolina this weekend to have it installed, im sure there will be a thread up here soon from him.

Old 03-08-2008, 09:47 PM
Originally Posted by Audible Mayhem
its all in the tune. you should get it professionally tuned. here is a vortech we tuned today on 93 octane . revup with 2.87 pulley. his clutch slipped a bit up top.

this thing moves!!

this is the difference in doing it yourself and paying a shop who has installed many many vortechs. he drove down from north carolina this weekend to have it installed, im sure there will be a thread up here soon from him.
Well lets not compare a revup engine with more boost to the problem at hand.

Isnt the point of these bolt on kits that they are just that?

Nothing against your business Jeremy, but to me personally I find installing it myself to have greater benefits than having a shop do it. For a start I trust no shop... Id rather only be able to lay the finger of blame on myself I have done alot of work on my S13s, Cefiros etc - I learned alot more about the car fitting it. Granted it took about 16-18 hours to do over a weekend, but well worth it. Fortunately i have access to a hoist and have a good collection of tools so It wasnt too frustrating.

But also Vortech is not popular at all where I live - Id go so far as to say I have the only Vortech nissan in Western Australia - so Id rather pioneer the install myself We have Vortech LS1 & LS2 engines but nissans dare not tread into the places that fit them

But I guess tuning is always something that needs to be done, but I think the SS standard tune could do with some refinement.

I have access to free dyno time too so we shall see what I can muster

I think I sent you an email too re the next pulley up I'll need to grab one

Ta

JK

Last edited by jaik; 03-08-2008 at 09:53 PM.
Old 03-08-2008, 09:48 PM
Banned
NIce dyno Jeremy

But these two guys are only making 6psi . They have belt slip or boost leaks that need to be addressed before they can make normal whp on a stock kit

Old 03-09-2008, 12:55 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
JK, yo man, you have been so cool to deal with. are you near brisbane?? i willl be there very soon. you need to get that kit at 10-14 psi and near a 11.4 AFR so you can feel the vortech like it needs to be....

Old 03-09-2008, 01:04 AM
I have to wait until Monday

Without reading here I would not have known that I was loosing psi, so that's a good start. We will see what they do when I take the car back. It isn't there fault of my plenum leaks, but hopefully they will help me out. Thanks for the quick advice.

On my details chart of my dyno run, my psi fell after about 5500 by almost 0.5 psi. Does this indicate a leak or belt slippage at the higher RPM's? I will scann them and post tomorrow.

Cheers

Last edited by thephoneguy; 03-09-2008 at 01:09 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Dissapointed with RWHP from Vortech Kit on '03 5AT