Forced Induction Discussion of turbos , superchargers , and nitrous upgrades on the G35

stillen supercharger - some Q's

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 09:19 PM
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
stillen supercharger - some Q's

hi,

i'm from australia and i own a V35 350GT JDM version that i have imported here

i would love to drive to stillen to ask them some Q's but unfortunately i cannot do so!

I have been looking into the stillen supercharger kit as i am after the power delivery of a blower type supercharger and the reliability of the stillen system with a 5AT transmission

I have 2 questions that i was hoping someone might be able to help me with
1) are there any strut bars that fit with the stillen supercharger? i currently have a stillen strut bar but it obviously won't fit..
2) has anyone used the stillen kit with the standard exhaust? i like the factory sound of the exhaust and the lack of drone. i also am dubious about the power gains (or lack of) of many aftermarket exhausts. can i run the stillen kit with the OEM exhaust system and still expect a power gain?

thaks everyone for your help!

regards,
Warren

Old 07-17-2008, 02:23 AM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Hey Warren. Have you looked into either a Vortech SC or HKS SC kit? Honestly, those 2 kits are much better than the Stillen kit (in my opinion) and you can still use a strut tower bar with either one. Plus, with the Stillen SC kit, you cannot make any other mods. Any additional breather mods that you make to your V35 with the Stillen SC kit will cause you to lose power. Finally, you cannot tune the kit to your liking because the emu that comes with the Stillen SC kit is locked. I strongly recommend looking into a Vortech or HKS SC kits. You can tailor them to whatever your needs are and they are both pretty reliable. Good luck bro.

Old 07-17-2008, 03:03 AM
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
some reasons i want a stillen rather than vortech/HKS
- cheaper
- easier to install
- requires no tune (making it again cheaper)
- requires no intake piping, just a simple heat exchanger at the front (easier to route small water piping rather than big intercoolerpipes)
- easily reversible if i want to

i'm not after big power gains, i'm after a nice gain that will work reliably and well with a 5AT transmission and deliver a good bang for buck

if i was after outright ball-tearing power i would go TT but i don't have a built motor and this car will never see any form of trackwork

Old 07-17-2008, 03:33 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
no strut bars fit
the kit was made for the stock exhaust

good luck!

Old 07-17-2008, 04:29 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Waz350GT
some reasons i want a stillen rather than vortech/HKS
- cheaper
- easier to install
- requires no tune (making it again cheaper)
- requires no intake piping, just a simple heat exchanger at the front (easier to route small water piping rather than big intercoolerpipes)
- easily reversible if i want to

i'm not after big power gains, i'm after a nice gain that will work reliably and well with a 5AT transmission and deliver a good bang for buck

if i was after outright ball-tearing power i would go TT but i don't have a built motor and this car will never see any form of trackwork

Ummmm,

1. If you talk to stillen they will tell you their SC doesn't work with the 5AT (but this is wrong). Really any boost is too much for the 5AT (it doesn't shift fast enough in AT mode. It's however normal in manual mode.
2. You get very little HP compared to the Vortech, and Procharger systems
3. Do not go for the HKS system. It's a hugely cost inefficient. For the same amount of money you should be going twin turbo, and the vortech still has more potential than the HKS system and really a quarter of the cost at the end of the day.
4. You'll spend the same amount of time installing the stillen SC than any other SC system
5. No forced induction is safe
6. Very few like the stillen system, and most switch to a different SC setup or go turbo.

Old 07-17-2008, 07:34 PM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by SDGeneralCounsel
Ummmm,

1. If you talk to stillen they will tell you their SC doesn't work with the 5AT (but this is wrong). Really any boost is too much for the 5AT (it doesn't shift fast enough in AT mode. It's however normal in manual mode.2. You get very little HP compared to the Vortech, and Procharger systems
3. Do not go for the HKS system. It's a hugely cost inefficient. For the same amount of money you should be going twin turbo, and the vortech still has more potential than the HKS system and really a quarter of the cost at the end of the day.
4. You'll spend the same amount of time installing the stillen SC than any other SC system
5. No forced induction is safe
6. Very few like the stillen system, and most switch to a different SC setup or go turbo.
I don’t necessarily agree with several of the points (but I'm not going to start a debate)... but the 1st point in blue is totally inaccurate. Stillens test car is an AT sedan - I've ridden in it twice with the SC in it...

Old 07-17-2008, 07:39 PM
Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts
sorry to thread jack but how does the stillen SC work i mean all i see is that replaces the pendulm or am i looking at it the wrong way?

Old 07-17-2008, 09:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think most everyone will agree the Vortech SC is the way to go right now.

It's showed and proven itself to be one of or if not the BEST SC system for the VQ35 engine. And its fine on Autos.

Old 07-17-2008, 10:22 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
That is true. Stillen SC may not be everyone's taste, but surely, it can make a G/Z more funner to drive.

Old 07-17-2008, 10:30 PM
Really Needs a Life
Received 177 Likes on 136 Posts
stillen ftl

Old 07-18-2008, 08:05 PM
Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts
If you want to know anything about the stillen just ask me.I had the stillen s/c on my car before it was 5 months old back in 2003 as every other kit(greddy twins and the ati procharger blew everything up).I went thru all the stages and after i grew tired of the lack of power i went to the greddy twins.
I installed the stillen as well as the greddy twins myself so if you have questions just ask me.I highly do not rec the stillen kit as it has no power for the money spent............nuff said.

Old 07-18-2008, 09:48 PM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by superchargedg
If you want to know anything about the stillen just ask me.I had the stillen s/c on my car before it was 5 months old back in 2003 as every other kit(greddy twins and the ati procharger blew everything up).I went thru all the stages and after i grew tired of the lack of power i went to the greddy twins.
I installed the stillen as well as the greddy twins myself so if you have questions just ask me.I highly do not rec the stillen kit as it has no power for the money spent............nuff said.
what about bottom end torque? Off idle acceleration?... all power down low - I primarily drag race and like bottom end trq...

Old 07-18-2008, 10:01 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Not to mention you have to buy that fugly hood.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: stillen supercharger - some Q's