Forced Induction Discussion of turbos , superchargers , and nitrous upgrades on the G35

stillen supercharger - some Q's

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 10:05 PM
Received 37 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by SDGeneralCounsel
Ummmm,

1. If you talk to stillen they will tell you their SC doesn't work with the 5AT (but this is wrong). Really any boost is too much for the 5AT (it doesn't shift fast enough in AT mode. It's however normal in manual mode.
2. You get very little HP compared to the Vortech, and Procharger systems
3. Do not go for the HKS system. It's a hugely cost inefficient. For the same amount of money you should be going twin turbo, and the vortech still has more potential than the HKS system and really a quarter of the cost at the end of the day.
4. You'll spend the same amount of time installing the stillen SC than any other SC system
5. No forced induction is safe
6. Very few like the stillen system, and most switch to a different SC setup or go turbo.
Where you getting your info, you hater!! Jk Jk I believe this is only your opinion, and if that was the case I would of simply got a Vortech, but I didn't

Old 07-18-2008, 11:38 PM
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
looking at the HKS GT supercharger kit now also..

it uses the stock hood, i can use my current strut bar, and the fit is excellent..

just trying to work out if price is going to be an issue..

Old 07-19-2008, 12:19 AM
Received 37 Likes on 19 Posts
^^^hks gt sc ftw!!!

It's about a good 8-10k installed depending what you get, worth every dollar also, but then again this is your set up and people might criticize me also and say it's my opinion, but I been told by someone whom I respect and listen too and I choose the hks, so thats me, good luck to you.

Old 07-19-2008, 03:21 AM
yeah but since i'm in Australia i'm not sure how the pricing will be different.

can i ask you as an owner with the HKS SC, how is it to drive with everyday?

noise at idle?
noise at WOT?
how is the idle quality compared to stock?
how is driving around town compared to stock (in terms of slow launches and keeping at low rpm)?
how are cold starts in the mornings?

i'm also trying to work out if the complete kit comes pre-tuned with a base tune or if the car requires a full tune on top of the installation...

also, does the kit get rid of the stock AFM? and how does this affect the quality of daily driving?

obviously this would be a BEAST at WOT but i'm trying to get a feeling of hos it would work in cold starts, in traffic, etc.

thanks so much for your help G35Rider92649!!

Old 07-19-2008, 05:24 AM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by Hexxum001
Not to mention you have to buy that fugly hood.
yep the hood sux!... I'll never forget Stillen meet a few yrs ago - Steve Millen was doing his Super Charger tour/demo/discussion, which was real cool... but at the end of his presentation he asked if anyone had questions - and I asked if they were considering an alternative to the hood they had - he said if there was a demand they would look into something like that

Hmmm... I guess he hasn’t been on this (or any other) G forum because the best thing I’ve ever read about the hood is “it grows on you”… but that’s from a handful of people that had to buy it… there are boatloads of posts about that awful hood. Steve Millen is a successful businessman – and no disrespect, but how could he make such a goofy statement in a Q & A session???

Old 07-19-2008, 05:30 AM
Originally Posted by Waz350GT
yeah but since i'm in Australia i'm not sure how the pricing will be different.

can i ask you as an owner with the HKS SC, how is it to drive with everyday?

noise at idle?
noise at WOT?
how is the idle quality compared to stock?
how is driving around town compared to stock (in terms of slow launches and keeping at low rpm)?
how are cold starts in the mornings?

i'm also trying to work out if the complete kit comes pre-tuned with a base tune or if the car requires a full tune on top of the installation...

also, does the kit get rid of the stock AFM? and how does this affect the quality of daily driving?

obviously this would be a BEAST at WOT but i'm trying to get a feeling of hos it would work in cold starts, in traffic, etc.

thanks so much for your help G35Rider92649!!
if emissions are not an issue - get JWT TT! Nothing will touch it!

If CA wasn’t such hard @sses about emissions that’s where I'd be... That kit would be on thousands of cars if he could have got CARB approval!

Old 07-19-2008, 03:53 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
^^^The Stillen hood looks okay on a 350z but not on a G.

Old 07-19-2008, 04:01 PM
Retired SuperMod
Received 101 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by Waz350GT
some reasons i want a stillen rather than vortech/HKS
- cheaper
- easier to install
- requires no tune (making it again cheaper)
- requires no intake piping, just a simple heat exchanger at the front (easier to route small water piping rather than big intercoolerpipes)
- easily reversible if i want to

i'm not after big power gains, i'm after a nice gain that will work reliably and well with a 5AT transmission and deliver a good bang for buck

if i was after outright ball-tearing power i would go TT but i don't have a built motor and this car will never see any form of trackwork
The Stillen SC is probably the worst when it comes to the "Bang for your buck" forced induction kits.

You pay alot for not a whole lot of power.

Old 07-19-2008, 04:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hopefully i can add to this discussion...

i jumped on a stillen stg 2 kit that was being sold on the forums for around 2k...i went with it cause of the price. in all honesty, i wouldnt go for the stillen kit if i had to pay full price. the power output just isnt worth it...that doesnt mean its not fun to drive though...heres some positives of the kit from my POV:

1. ease of install- hardest part was the wiring. if you get a buddy to help you you can be supercharged in 5 to 6 hrs.

2. no tuning necessary- comes pretuned (safely imo) so theres no extra costs with buying an ecu and tuning it...this kit is truly a "bolt on"

3. sc whine is intoxicating- it down right scares people. a bov is really nice too...

4. instant (and i mean INSTANT) torque and power- hit the gas and you're off. no waiting for a certain rpm to build boost. you'll dust vortech sc's stop light to stop light, but highway pulls or track runs and you're toast. its a great bolt on for city driving. immediate power delivery..its a lot of fun

5. reliability- ive had it on my car since march and have had ZERO (knock on wood) problems with it. just have to tighten the belts once in a while.

6. the hood- i honestly think the hood is sex. the car looks soo much more aggressive with it on. i have the stillen carbon fiber hood and my car is twilight blue so it really complements the car. i always get "dude where did you get that hood...its sick"

7. no supporting mods needed- your car is supposed to be completely stock when you add the stillen sc. no exhaust, no hfc, nothing. this is also a downside though...ill address that below.

some negatives:

1. retail price: it costs way to much for what it does. like i said before, i got the kit because of the price.

2. no supporting mods- only way to make more power is to upgrade to another stage. maybe a different exhaust would help, but barely. and it cant be true dual either...i have the stg 2 and im already getting used to the power...might make the jump to stage 4 if i can get a good deal. stillen charges WAY too much for their products...

3. power- this kit wont get you huge hp and tq. it will however add a nice bump in power thats very fun and very useable in everyday city driving. i think thats one of the biggest advantages of the stillen kit. everyone will tell you to go vortech, but if youre just doing city driving this kit is perfect. you wont really feel a power increase with the vortech until around 4k rpms, so how useable is that in the city? the vortech is a BEAST in the upper rpms and it is a lot easier to get more power out of it, but the stillen holds its own in the city IMO. if you have any questions shoot me a pm...ill be glad to help.

Old 07-19-2008, 06:20 PM
Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by OCG35
what about bottom end torque? Off idle acceleration?... all power down low - I primarily drag race and like bottom end trq...
It does have a great bottom end but seriously dies off quick in the upper rpms were you need the power.It is not a good setup for drag racing as the best i ever got was a 13.4 1/4 on stage 4 and that was with a 1.91 60ft.

Old 07-19-2008, 06:24 PM
Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts
I got used to the hood and i kept it since there is no other g that looks like mine.

Old 07-19-2008, 06:30 PM
especially not on a sedan!

Old 07-31-2008, 10:20 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Australia, isnt APS in Australia, thats one of the best tuners...
http://www.airpowersystems.com/aus_spec/aus_dealers.htm
Video is on their site.

One of the best you've got local, haha, got there and get the full treatment. When doing FI its best do do whatevery is supported locally.

Old 08-01-2008, 12:03 AM
it would be cheaper to buy an APS TT kit in the US and have it shipped to ausrtralia than to buy one here

APS suck, horrible customer service, horrible, horrible! but a good TT kit..