Forced Induction Discussion of turbos , superchargers , and nitrous upgrades on the G35

Gauge Pod for Steering Wheel

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 03:40 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by sliderg35
I agree with TTrank... If you use velcro to hold your gauges together you car will look like crap. It's a great car and reasonably expensive - pay the bucks and make it look like it was originally built that way.
i want it all in the cubby so its hidden, i dont like to have all that clutter out in the open all the time.

Old 08-16-2009, 07:52 PM
Grocery getter

Received 189 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeGrote
nice work man! would you be interested in making a simple one that would fit in the cubby of an 06 coupe for just one gauge? i would velcro two dyno tune digital gauges on each side so only one hole would be in the middle.

mike

Sure. Just something to fill in the center area, like a box? Tucked down under facing up or with a gap in the front?

Old 08-20-2009, 11:54 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by ttrank
Sure. Just something to fill in the center area, like a box? Tucked down under facing up or with a gap in the front?
pm'd you

Old 10-05-2009, 05:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

IMO the best place to put gauges on the G is here:

Take a bit of work but comes out very nice.
Hey PM me. I wanna talk about doing some custom Gauge Pod stuff for my Datsun 510. Thanks......

Old 10-05-2009, 06:05 PM
Grocery getter

Sure, just let me know what you are looking for. Pics of the parts you want modded or any examples you have will help.

Old 10-05-2009, 07:57 PM
Sure, just let me know what you are looking for. Pics of the parts you want modded or any examples you have will help.
I need a 4 gauge (2-1/16") pod/panel setup.
I want to replace my current (home made) upper consol (pic 1) with a molded, angled towards the driver, 4 pod console that fits a boost control module too. (you can see the silver rectangular guege in the previous pic) I want 4 across and the Boost module centered below it.
Name:  510_11.jpg
Views: 401
Size:  50.9 KB
I want it to come from the bottom of my dash and seamlessly flow from into my bottom consol and look like a "stock" setup. You can see where it separates in pic 2 where there is a black angled lower consol and then the upper leather wrapped boxy thing with two elec. gauges on it. Name:  510_9.jpg
Views: 447
Size:  68.4 KB
Where are you located? This would obviously be better if you were near so that you can physically look at my setup and take dimesions.
I have MANY ideas but just don't know how to do this and make it look great.
At first look How would you go about this?
Thanks in advance....

Old 10-10-2009, 02:24 AM
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
ttrank would i have to send you my bezel to make me one like yours?

Old 10-10-2009, 01:12 PM
Grocery getter

Originally Posted by kennymo
ttrank would i have to send you my bezel to make me one like yours?
Yes, unless I can get a core to work on and then have you send me yours when you get the other one.

I have a core for the 05-06 sedan/05-07 coupe interior right now but don't have an 03-04.

Old 10-10-2009, 01:18 PM
Grocery getter

Originally Posted by SR20DETDatsun
I need a 4 gauge (2-1/16") pod/panel setup.
I want to replace my current (home made) upper console (pic 1) with a molded, angled towards the driver, 4 pod console that fits a boost control module too. (you can see the silver rectangular guege in the previous pic) I want 4 across and the Boost module centered below it.

I want it to come from the bottom of my dash and seamlessly flow from into my bottom consol and look like a "stock" setup. You can see where it separates in pic 2 where there is a black angled lower consol and then the upper leather wrapped boxy thing with two elec. gauges on it.
Where are you located? This would obviously be better if you were near so that you can physically look at my setup and take dimesions.
I have MANY ideas but just don't know how to do this and make it look great.
At first look How would you go about this?
Thanks in advance....

I'm in Phoenix, AZ.

If I understand right, you want something to replace that leather wrapped panel you have now with 4 gauges angled toward the driver and the other equipment below it?
This part would have more of a sweeping flow from the lower console up to the bottom of the dash to have a more oem-like flow?

Something like this would be very tough to build without having the car available to test fit the part and figure out angles for the gauges. If you were local it would not be too tough to build but this isn't something I would want to take on without having the car close. If it didn't turn out just right I would be upset (as would you).

Old 10-14-2009, 06:20 PM
I'm in Phoenix, AZ.

If I understand right, you want something to replace that leather wrapped panel you have now with 4 gauges angled toward the driver and the other equipment below it?
This part would have more of a sweeping flow from the lower console up to the bottom of the dash to have a more oem-like flow?

Something like this would be very tough to build without having the car available to test fit the part and figure out angles for the gauges. If you were local it would not be too tough to build but this isn't something I would want to take on without having the car close. If it didn't turn out just right I would be upset (as would you).
Thanks for the reply.
I totally understand. I am kind of working on a consol myself but I doubt it will have the finished look that yours has.
I used a wood backer with 2" PVC pipe, foam and bondo. What can I use to smooth out all the pits and make all the
surfaces smooth?
What could I do as far as coverings to get an OEM look to it?
Here are pics.....

Name:  IMG_0109.jpg
Views: 408
Size:  95.7 KB
Name:  IMG_0111.jpg
Views: 376
Size:  63.2 KB
Name:  IMG_0112.jpg
Views: 412
Size:  63.4 KB
Name:  IMG_0115.jpg
Views: 367
Size:  66.3 KB

Of course it needs to be finished and I don't think it's that bad for my very first stab at this sort of thing.
It will have sides on it but if it could have some "shape" to the side instead of a flat board, that would be better.
Any advice/comments/constructive criticism would be welcomed.

Last edited by SR20DETDatsun; 10-17-2009 at 09:14 PM.
Old 10-15-2009, 12:27 AM
Lightbulb 510 Center console

Hey again.
Here are some pics. This is not finished of course and it needs lots of shaping and hole filling still but I don't think it is a bad start for my very first time trying something like this.
This will replace the leather center section of my consol.
It contains 4 pods and a sunk in pod for my boost control.
Take a look......
Name:  IMG_0109.jpg
Views: 365
Size:  95.7 KB
Of course I am going to add sides to it but I would like some shape instead of straight or angles sides.
The gauge pods hold the gauges perfectly. They fit nice and tight. The Boost Control pod fits perfectly too.
What else can I do with this?
Thanks for all of your time.....

Last edited by SR20DETDatsun; 10-19-2009 at 06:07 PM.
Old 10-19-2009, 06:05 PM
Question

Any comments or suggestions?

Old 10-19-2009, 08:18 PM
Grocery getter

I just saw you posted. I can't see the pics at work and will have to try and get on once I get home.

Old 10-19-2009, 08:19 PM
Grocery getter

Oh and for anyone else, I just picked up a clock finisher for the 03-04 and am going to build a gauge pod like mine and put it up for sale. Should be next month some time. I also have one for an 05+ that I need to do.

Old 12-18-2010, 12:40 AM
Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
Oh and for anyone else, I just picked up a clock finisher for the 03-04 and am going to build a gauge pod like mine and put it up for sale. Should be next month some time. I also have one for an 05+ that I need to do.
I know it's been a while, but do you still do this? I have an '05 Sedan.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Gauge Pod for Steering Wheel