Forced Induction Discussion of turbos , superchargers , and nitrous upgrades on the G35

I think I bought a dealer destroyed boosted G

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-06-2008 | 03:46 PM
Canada, eh?
Premier Member
What turbo kit is that? All custom I'm assuming?

My question to you is, why did you buy the car with all this done to it? Or at least bring it to a respected shop to get tested out before you bought it, knowing it had no warranty?

Good luck regardless.

Old 10-06-2008 | 07:59 PM
|
Cash value of the parts and labor put in to it already vs. the risk of damage done based on the available symptoms I felt was still in my favor. It wasn't a decision I took lightly though.

I actually don't recognize the kit either, so until I hear otherwise I assume it's custom. If it really was custom done, I'm pretty impressed that someone was able to work so well in the small space Nissan/Infiniti leave us to work in.

More to come hopefully after this weekend. Thanks for the support guys

Last edited by Infern0; 10-06-2008 at 08:12 PM.
Old 10-09-2008 | 07:28 PM
|
Update for this week:

Coolant hasn't dropped at all. As a matter of fact, I checked it again Tuesday after work, expecting to have to do another fill and it hadn't dropped a bit. As a matter of fact, it had risen 50% over the Max Fill Line. WTF? The only theory I can build off of this was, whoever installed the turbo filled it to the Max Line once with the engine off, closed the hood and never looked back. So each time I opened the hood, thinking that the engine was just drinking my coolant, it was actually just cycling it in to the cooling system. Feasible?

Not sure if I posted any of this before, but when I took the car up to the speed shop originally, it needless to say, had check engine lights on. They cleared those lights after doing the work on the car just to see if any would come back on. One came back on, an O2 sensor code. They replaced the sensor and cleared the code and it didn't come back on; that is until I drove about 30 miles from the shop. Took the car to Auto Zone to get the code read and it is multiple O2 sensor codes (P0151, P0131, P0153), and an engine misfire code (P0300). No warm fuzzies there.

Something I observed this week while driving: While in the 2600-3200 RPM range, if I keep it steady at a certain speed, I can feel the car "twittering" a little bit. Almost as if the fuel delivery isn't at a constant rate and I am getting a bunch of tiny little jolts, like there are waves in the fuel delivery.

Differential diagnosis...go. Oh yeah, I'm waiting to hear back from the shop to see if I can get it in there this weekend for that compression test.

Stay tuned for the continuation of the Diary of a Sick Boosted G.

Old 10-09-2008 | 07:31 PM
Red Card Crew
Premier Member
Oil check.

Old 10-09-2008 | 07:46 PM
Canada, eh?
Premier Member
If you don't have cats anymore, then you will get a O2 sensor code, so don't worry about that. For the 06+ there is no fix for the O2 problems. You can buy a million sensors, and none will work. You will get the code.

Old 10-09-2008 | 08:22 PM
And misfire codes are common on boosted Z/G's

Old 10-09-2008 | 08:56 PM
Originally Posted by thom000001
And misfire codes are common on boosted Z/G's
maybe 1-2 a yr and usually in cold environments. If u are getting them frequent then u need colder plugs.

Old 10-09-2008 | 09:35 PM
|
Hmmm...well like I said, oil looks black. I'm guessing it was sludged pretty bad before I changed it (non-synthetic stock oil I bet). It has synthetic Motul now. I'm guess the previous sludge mixed and came off and gunked up the new oil.

Do test pipes fix the 02 sensor code or do they have to cats? Obviously none would be best, followed by test pipes if anything. How big of a performance difference is there by throwing cats/test pipes on versus none at all?

So I have to get the emissions done on this thing to get my permanent plates. It's an auto fail with a check engine light. What are my options?

For some reason, the damn airbag light is on too. Not sure what the hell that's about. That's another auto-fail on emissions (though not related) too.

Old 10-10-2008 | 04:47 PM
Sounds like a real PITA. I 'm not sure I would have bought that car. Good luck with it.

Old 10-11-2008 | 01:30 PM
|
It is really starting to feel like it.

Old 10-11-2008 | 02:14 PM
SELL IT... u got a lemon.

Old 10-11-2008 | 02:42 PM
Good luck with all of your problems...hopefully you can get them resolved.

Old 10-18-2008 | 12:49 AM
|
Well, two weeks now and I haven't had to add any additional coolant.

This weekend getting the airbag light taken care of at the dealer. I believe it's on because I think when the Greddy comps were installed in the glove compartment, they removed the seat while they were working over there on the passenger's side, but never had the tool to turn the light off.

After that I have to waste a bunch of money getting a cat put on so the check engine light stays off long enough for me to get emissions done in this stupid town. Hopefully all goes well with that.

Old 10-18-2008 | 06:52 PM
How does the air flow over the intercooler? It seems to be mostly blocked by the front bumper.

Old 10-19-2008 | 01:55 PM
i would Part that turbo Kit out and bring your car back to stock at least you could get sum money back that you lost. Too many problems to fix that extra wasted $ and you don't really know the histroy of the car itself. M 2 peice..

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: I think I bought a dealer destroyed boosted G